Why Do We To Parkarma Clockwise .

Guest dass of dass

Nihang Singh's go anti clockwize because they say that the human heart is on the left and that they want to keep the heart close to Guru Jee when they do parkarma. It really doesn't matter that much. Bhai Gurdas talks about benefits of parkarma, End of the day if you not following the teachings what use is parkaram. More important to rise at the early hours of the day and do simran and bani jaap for 20 hours with 4 hours sleep. Everything else is vanity

The RIght side is considered more positive and spiritual.and left is more ego and self.

We write gurmukhi from left to right, we read from left to right.or west to east.

All around the world the right side is considered GOOD and Positive action from our free will. Most people are quick to jump to the superstition wagon, but even these mostly originate from religion.

Even jesus said enter the temple from the right or eastern door.

The Anhad shabad are listened and heard from the RIGHT ear if they are divine.

In posh English etiquette a man walks on the RIGHT of woman, opens door with right hand, puts right foot and right hand first..etc..

On circular dining table he leaves by going clockwise. Puts right shoe on first, right glove...etc..

basically RIGHT is the right way.

This right handedness is popular throughout the world.

I also believe that the batta in amrit sanchar is stirred in right sided clockwise motion as well. and the kara is usually worn on right hand if posiible

There are some very good points made above by Righteo, especially the right handed stuff and the right side of body.

I think there are probably quite a few reasons why parkhama and even lavah are done clockwise.

Firstly, I think that most of us are Right handed and when we need to use a little power to do or move something, then we use our DOMINANT side right arm, hand, leg or foot.

In my opinion, one of the ideas of parkhama is SACRIFICE your ego and self over Guruji.- and wouldn't we be better doing this if submitting our dominant side (right side), especially when it comes to self power and ego ?

Also, in lavanh, the doiminant male Singh sits on the right side of the woman. (Dominant- meaning that the woman marries into HIS house and family- I'm not talking about dominant/equal rights etc ) and the male singh also leads in this same dominance with the pallah over the RIGHT shoulder.

Circumambulation is the term for parkhama in all other faiths and they mostly go clockwise except for the muslims going anti- around the kabba !

In old vedic/hindu, the rishi munis used to believe the earth goes around the Sun clockwise, and they regarded the earth as us(people) and the sun as God. However, we know that the earth rotates anti-clockwise on its own axis but circles the Sun in clockwise manner overall and this is one of the reasons why hindus perform the arti or puja in front of the murti, doing the revolutions in anti-clockwise manner and then do parkhama around the same murti in a clockwise motion !

Also, as mentioned by Righteo above, the right side is the positive side in terms of energy and karmic imprints,...and also the spiritual gaining side. So the idea of getting the positive Grace of guruji, the blessings on positive karma to gain more posiitves to counteract our negatives, makes sense to submit this right side or ourselves.

The nihangs doing the opposite anti-clockwise also makes a little sense to me since they have already submitted their ego's and life force to their shastar.

To submit and have blessings for shastar only seems appropriate in their conduct.

It probably also makes sense that they offer their heart on the left side as their ego is more inclined into their shastar, unlike the rest of us who have our egos overruling our hearts and the whole show !

• 2 years later...
Guest Gurupehj singh

Vaheguru daas has a little input to add, I am a nina get singh in training and the reason I was told from a nihang baba was that we wear our Siri sahib that we carry daily with us on the right and as we see shasthar also as our guru, we also do park arms of our shasthar guru aswell as Guru Granth Sahib Ji maharaaj.

So technically all amrithdharis should do parikarma from right to left.

But at the end of the day the very most important thing is to sing Gurbani first most of all at amritvela before we practise sadhkaar of material objects.

Vaheguru Ji