Sign in to follow this  
jasdeepsingh2k125

Why It Is Adviced By Gurmukhs To Keep Dhyan Not At Forehead For Ghristis?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think because it's a highly spiritual to do dhyaan at forhead for ghrists, as they might get immense bairaag and want to leave the gresth jeewan, it might be advisable at later age.

But ones who have Guru sahibs kirpa might do it and still be good in their gresth jeewan.

Edited by tuhintuhin
  • Like 1

When sant/gurmukhs gives advise to seeker alone, its not a meant to be taken as general rule for all, its meant for only for seeker.

Overall, there is no hard and fast rule as such it really depends on gristhi partners if they are on the same page and have guidance and capacity- sure couple of reasons i can think of gurmukh giving advise to gristhi not to concentrate on forehead-
1. Keep dhian on a forehead its not a child play, you need to be under guidance of mahapursh who can guide, without guidance it can have adverse effect on people- massive headache etc, small drizzle of divine bliss (without being ready), raw divine expereince/ridhiya sidhiya without shabad resonance/bairaag, take you away from gristhi life along with gurmat main aim, as one can get easily attached to it, after all one can have numerous amount of spiritual expereinces its endless, there is a big difference between spiritual experience and spiritual awakening- one can many spiritual expereinces and still have ego, spiritual awakening is full shift in identity
2. On the contary, if its done right incorporate shabad with dhyan, it can open up energy, shift in indentity which might be too hard to sustain (ask sat veer ji he knows more about this).
The question isn't if you should keep dhian on forehead or not ? The real question is , are you ready for it?
Gurmat does not dictate step by step process, its really left on individual state of mind given they have right guidance from mahapursh..However, gurmat does advise updesh which applies to all (grishti, sanyasi, yogi etc) spontenous awakening (sehaj smadhi) slowly gradually spontenously sehaj smadhi is more digestible than radical spike awakening (people usually fall off/can't handle it).
Thats all i can think of..
Edited by N30S1NGH
  • Like 3

There are a number of views out there on where you should keep your dhyaan.

Some people advise on focusing on the point between eyebrows, some say above the eyebrows but still in the center. Some will tell you not focus on these points until you can hear the anhad shabad resonating at this location.

If you have not done extensive naam jaap and made your mind still i.e thoughtless then its pointless because you could start having visions/hallucinations which is not our path. From what I have heard it can be very difficult to come out of this stage because it becomes very enticing.

From what I have learned most abhyaasis will say put your dhyaan on the agya chakra which is said to be between the eyebrows or higher. This involves straining the eyes which is very uncomfortable. If you look at the symbol of the agya chakra it is actually two eyes overlapping to form a circle in the center. That circle represents the bindu or mustard seed which is eventually seen with the inner eye if you look straight between the eyes not up. This location is known as the confluence or ida, pingula and sukhmana. Once you can hear the anhad sound at this point or you can see the light between the eyes then you transcend the Trikuti using this sound or light. This will automatically take your mind upwards, it is not done with straining the eyes.

Easiest method in my opinion is first learn to still the mind by putting your dhyaan in front of your mouth where you listen to the jaap as it comes out of the mouth.

Learn to do this so the mind doesn't take flights of thought. It listens with full attention to what is coming out of your mouth.

Once you can hear every single recitation including the pauses between words for a while then slowly slowly lower the volume, but keep the mind focused on the shabad by carefully listening to the soft whisper. At this stage you will be able to do saas-saas simran i.e. Wahe on Inhale and Guru on Exhale.

Once you have even mastered this and your mind doesn't take flights of thoughts then you take your jaap to internal mental jaap. You make your mind listen to your inner voice.

As you do more and more jaap without thoughts and your mind becomes still you might begin to hear internal sounds of instruments. Your mouth might become sweet amongst other experiences.

Hope that helps ji.

I'm sure more experienced people will also give you their opinion.

Edited by Sat1176
  • Like 4

Very good responses above ! :biggrin2:

I think that the advice to not put dhyan there is more precautionary so that one doesn't encounter problems in later stages.

It is best to start early with fewer chances of getting too attached to these kind of stimuli. This is also the reason why it is not advised to keep a mental imprint of a guru's portrait in front of you at all times.

However, some of us need to do this just to get into the swing and get going in the early stages.

I shouldn't be advising but I was guilty myself of putting my dhyan on agya chakkar before i had got to any deep mental simran. This did bring some difficulty because I got stuck with visual aspects and found it harder to move further as the dhyan on the sound and listening should have been much greater.

Eventually I found the appropriate balance to help me go deeper, but it took quite a while and wasn't easy.

I totally agree with Sat's advice to focus dhyan on the front of your mouth so that all you are doing is listening to the gurmantar, or you could even put the dhyian near ears if you find it easier.

But one thing that i'm pretty certain about now is that you can't progress and go deeper without the dhyian on the 'listening' of jap. I don't think that one can attain that deeper stillness and hear the beginnings of anhad without this 'listening'

You see, when focusing between the brows, you can easily go into the territory of 'looking' but if your dhyian ends up more here than the 'listening', then that's the difficulty they all advise against.

As long as the listening is happening on par or more than the looking, then some of us can manage ok, but if it's just looking then result= not so good,

Listen and Feel the gurmantar with every breath when you jap.

More importantly, I know that in the early beginning stages some of us need that little 'kick' or something to help us get into the swing of simran.

Just that simple patience to sit, the patience and enthusiasm to focus and hear your own jap...etc...etc...

I think that in these stages some of us may find that focusing between brows may help settle us to get going, or even that mental imprint of Guruji's portrait in front of you,, or the use and feel of a mala...etc...

Therefore, I personally don't think it's a bad idea if it helps get your engine started as long as you are aware and determined to move the focus to gurmantar and listening.

Sometimes, I may still use that mental imprint of Guru Nanak ji's portait to help me settle in, especially if my mind and thoughts are all over the place and putting up barriers to quietening down and listening !

Edited by luckysingh99
  • Like 4

ਕਹਾ ਭਯੋ ਜੋ ਦੋਉ ਲੋਚਨ ਮੂੰਦ ਕੈ ਬੈਠਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਬਕ ਧਿਆਨ ਲਗਾਇਓ ॥

Kahaa Bhayo Jo Doau Lochana Mooanda Kai Baitthi Rahiaoa Baka Dhiaana Lagaaeiaoa ॥

कहा भयो जो दोउ लोचन मूंद कै बैठि रहिओ बक धिआन लगाइओ ॥

Of what use it is if one sits and meditates like a crane with his eyes closed.

12 ਦਸਮ ਗਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਪੰਨਾ ੪੧ ਪੰ. ੧੨

Source - Nitnem Bani (Tva prasad svaiye)

http://searchgurbani.com/scriptures/ds_page/41/line/12

Reading and studying, one becomes confused, and suffers punishment.

parh parh bhooleh chotaa khaahi.

By great cleverness, one is consigned to coming and going in reincarnation.

bahut si-aanap aavahi jaahi.

One who chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and eats the food of the Fear of God

naam japai bha-o bhojan khaa-ay.

becomes Gurmukh, the Lord`s servant, and remains absorbed in the Lord.

gurmukh sayvak rahay samaa-ay.

Source : Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji,

Waaho! Waaho! The Lord Himself causes us to praise Him, through the True Word of the Guru`s Shabad.

vaahu vaahu aap akhaa-idaa gur sabdee sach so-ay.

Waaho! Waaho! is His Eulogy and Praise; how rare are the Gurmukhs who understand this.

vaahu vaahu sifat salaah hai gurmukh boojhai ko-ay.

Waaho! Waaho! is the True Word of His Bani, by which we meet our True Lord.

vaahu vaahu banee sach hai sach milaavaa ho-ay.

O Nanak, chanting Waaho! Waaho! God is attained; by His Grace, He is obtained.

naanak vaahu vaahu karti-aa parabh paa-i-aa karam paraapat ho-ay.

Chanting Waaho! Waaho! the tongue is adorned with the Word of the Shabad.

vaahu vaahu kartee rasnaa sabad suhaa-ee.

Through the Perfect Shabad, one comes to meet God.

poorai sabad parabh mili-aa aa-ee.

How very fortunate are those, who with their mouths, chant Waaho! Waaho!

vadbhaagee-aa vaahu vaahu muhhu kadhaa-ee.

How beautiful are those persons who chant Waaho! Waaho! ; people come to venerate them.

vaahu vaahu karahi say-ee jan sohnay tinH ka-o parjaa poojan aa-ee.

Waaho! Waaho! is obtained by His Grace; O Nanak, honor is obtained at the Gate of the True Lord.

vaahu vaahu karam paraapat hovai naanak dar sachai sobhaa paa-ee.

Within the fortress of body, are the hard and rigid doors of falsehood, deception and pride.

bajar kapaat kaa-i-aa garhH bheetar koorh kusat abhimaanee.

Deluded by doubt, the blind and ignorant self-willed manmukhs cannot see them.

bharam bhoolay nadar na aavnee manmukh anDh agi-aanee.

They cannot be found by any efforts; wearing their religious robes, the wearers have grown weary of trying.

upaa-ay kitai na labhnee kar bhaykh thakay bhaykhvaanee.

The doors are opened only by the Word of the Guru`s Shabad, and then, one chants the Name of the Lord.

gur sabdee kholaa-ee-aniH har naam japaanee.

The Dear Lord is the Tree of Ambrosial Nectar; those who drink in this Nectar are satisfied.

har jee-o amrit birakh hai jin pee-aa tay tariptaanee.

Chanting Waaho! Waaho! the night of one`s life passes in peace.

vaahu vaahu karti-aa rain sukh vihaa-ay.

Chanting Waaho! Waaho! I am in eternal bliss, O my mother!

vaahu vaahu karti-aa sadaa anand hovai mayree maa-ay.

Chanting Waaho Waaho, I have fallen in love with the Lord.

vaahu vaahu karti-aa har si-o liv laa-ay.

Waaho! Waaho! Through the karma of good deeds, I chant it, and inspire others to chant it as well.

vaahu vaahu karmee bolai bolaa-ay.

Chanting Waaho! Waaho!, one obtains honor.

vaahu vaahu karti-aa sobhaa paa-ay.

O Nanak, Waaho! Waaho! is the Will of the True Lord.

naanak vaahu vaahu sat rajaa-ay.

Waaho! Waaho! is the Bani of the True Word. Searching, the Gurmukhs have found it.

vaahu vaahu banee sach hai gurmukh laDhee bhaal.

Waaho! Waaho! They chant the Word of the Shabad. Waaho! Waaho they chant with their mind/heart.

vaahu vaahu sabday uchrai vaahu vaahu hirdai naal.

O Nanak, very fortunate are those who reflect upon the Lord, Har, Har, within their hearts.

say vadbhaagee naankaa har har ridai samaal.

• Like 2

Kahaa Bhayo Jo Doau Lochana Mooanda Kai Baitthi Rahiaoa Baka Dhiaana Lagaaeiaoa ॥

Exactly the point. If your going to sit there with eyes closed but your mind is engrossed in flights of thought it's not pure bhagti because your mind is not present. First learn to still the mind and make it listen to the shabad before you work on dhyaan techniques. Edited by Sat1176
  • Like 2

Is this wrong.? Eyes closed and imagine waheguru in words n reciting. Not sure where the focus would be, I think above eyes?

Between forehead? When eyes r closed, should be lookin down or straight or where so it not be done wrong?

Edited by simran345

Simran345, who are we morraks to tell you what is right and what is wrong. There are countless techniques out there on how to meditate and the one you describe is one of them. if it works for you then who are we to stop you.

• Like 2

No paji u are not mooraks, u have vast amount of knowledge, which is interesting to others, like me who knows nothing. I never knew bhagti was so deep and different levels of it. As long as one remembers god, better than nothing I guess, I guess I should not worry about wat right or wrong way n try to do as I can.

Thankuji for the advise.

• Like 1

The forehead area, is the spiritual door to enter the spiritual realms.

That is why it is known as teesra til or third eye, single eye, or daswan dwar, the "tenth door". The path leading towards Him starts from this point. This is in a way, a spiritual door, towards spiritual dimensions, towards higher consciousnesses.

Once one enters there, one leaves temporary the physicall plane, which is perceived by us through our 5 karma indriyas and the 5 gyan indriyas. But there in the spiritual realms, in the first two regions or planes, which are in the following order: astral plane, and then the causal plane, these 2 planes are travelled by the mind and the soul together, but after that plane, with the help Shabad Guru alone, one crosses that last barrier of mind and Kal, and reach Paarbraham...and under proper guidance of that Shabad Guru, one reaches Sach Khand, not otherwise ....

So you see, in order to achieve all this mentioned above, one has to start walking first to reach that door, and then enter through it bravely, this is the real job of a sikh, to become one with Wahiguru Akal Purukh

Edited by harsharan000
  • Like 2

Brother,

the moorakhs, try to imitate the learned ones. One who has no knowledge, or is a gawaar, does not know to read or write, even if he takes a book, and try to show he is reading...what can he get from it?

Nothing.

He is fooloing himself, and then too, as he can not understand what is written in it due to his moorakhta, he says, what use is sitting to read a book....foolishness has no limits.

We must bear in mind, that one when sits in meditation to do His bandagee, and with closed eyes we see only darkness, that is nothing but the darkness of our very own karmas....and then too most of us, we are so stupid, that we do not know, that we have a mind also, which starts runnig outside, as it is used to do always, as it has no interest letting the soul know or do anything to return to its origin: Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

The result is, that those who know what they are doing, they keep on knocking at His door for His grace(that is sitting in meditation with faith and love for Him) because if ever anything is to be achieved, it is from that door.....

While the moorakhs, the maanmukhs, give up easily and say why to sit like cranes..... stupid people!

On the contrary, our Guru Sahibans emphasize to do this jugtee only, for realizing Him. Following are the words of Sachay Patshah Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj:

Sathigur Kaa Sach Sabadh Kamaavahu

Meditate on the true Shabad, from Satguru

Thhir Ghar Baithae, Prabh Apanaa Paavahu

Remain steady and stable within the home of your own self, and find God

Raag Asa, Guru Arjan Dev Maharaj.

Edited by harsharan000
  • Like 3