Veganism

Guest Singh

VJKK VJKF

We are a vegan Sikh household both my wife and I are Amritdhari. In UK it makes perfect sense. Particularly due to dairy farming methods...there is blood and puss in each pint of milk. Also from cooking from raw vegetable ingredients at home only you cut out many of the problems you face with food contamination. I started back in 1994 no health problems (Im aware of) Just make sure you eat lots of lentils and find a good source of B12. Like anything else once you are in a routine it all falls into place. Think will help you in so many ways in meditation etc. My partner started following a vegan diet last year and she has had no problems...doesnt even think about paneer! Whatever path you chose diet wise I think its important to retain humility and do it for the right reasons. Perhaps animal welfare, ecology/environment, health or a combination of all these. Does It make you a better Sikh? I don't think so...unless it changes your perceptions and bad practices perhaps.

Does It make you a better Sikh? I don't think so

It does veerji SGGS tells "Daya kare jee kee" - by being vegan we are directly following that edict .... and sikhi is all about living by Maharaj as much as one can

Having said that kudos to you for being vegan out of your own volition and advocating the lifestyle

I have been vegan for about one year ....and havent felt better in my life - better sleep, more energy, great mood ......I would advise everyone to at least try it for one month.

Guest progurmat

Veer BJ Can you elabroate what satvic diet has to do with Sikhi , this is a vedic/brahamnical concept which is shown no reverence in gurmat , Study after Study has shown that Garlic and onion are amazingly good for humans ....also as per your suggestion we should stop adding onion / garlic to daal in langar ?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Bhai ji am not propagating Vedic / Brahmin beliefs.

The wiki link is for general knowledge & menu for idea recipes.

I had a meal at a Sattvik restaurant which was light, tasty & easily digestible.

Call it vegan or vegetarian, point is, it was a good & healthy.

That's why the recommendation.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Post your vegan meal plans please? May sound a little strange but that would benefit people like myself who are planning to go vegan again

Questioner ji , whats your target weight and current weight , do you work out ? I can create a thread in health fitness section if people are interested.

I thing losing weight is almost always a good thing unless you go ketotic like with cancer or tb ....

Questioner ji , whats your target weight and current weight , do you work out ? I can create a thread in health fitness section if people are interested.

I thing losing weight is almost always a good thing unless you go ketotic like with cancer or tb ....

Not sure to be honest! I don't weigh myself nor do I have a target lol. I just know that I'm skinny and attempting veganism for the second time has made me far too skinny! Would appreciate some sort of plan or tips.

Guru's philosophy (Gurmat) is vegeterianism not Vegan. Especially living in the UK with its poor weather/pollution and where you are already not getting fresh fruit and veg and everything is processed and has chemicals in. Its not a good idea. Veganism is just extreme form of choosing your diet. Gurmat is vegetarian but its no big deal if you wanna be vegan, just make sure you are getting all your nutrients.

I doubt it will help spiritually. Spiritualy its all about making the effort naam/gurbani abyaas, satsang, amrit vela, rehat

I agree with this. Nice name, you're one number off of being me. :lol2:

Just to add to this veganism has become more of a cult religious group where people have a false sense of doing something good when in reality they are just appeasing their own guilty conscious. The only way to combat animal abuse is to be politically active. Realistically, not supporting dairy is not a form of political activism when you look at the numbers and how big the industry is. A few people will not even change 0.00000001%.

Another problem I see is that Sikhs who adopt Veganism may develop diet problems if they take it to an extreme and start developing various deficiencies which can be even worse for pregnant women because if she is not eating well the kids won't be healthy. I feel like we're becoming allergic to any fat whatsoever which is wrong because even from a medical perspective fat is very important, but having a belly and having excessive body fat is not.

The most important thing is exercise: running and weightlifting for both males and females (if normal job/activities don't include this) and a modest diet.