Veganism

Guest Singh

Pyare veero 598 and 559 jee - fateh parvan karo ......

Just to add to this veganism has become more of a cult religious group where people have a false sense of doing something good when in reality they are just appeasing their own guilty conscious

Can't disagree more veerji , I for one am diametrically opposed to dogma without reason .......I don't judge others who are non vegan , I encourage them to try it with an open mind ...

Heck even I myself occasionaly have dahi at langar or my mom's kari.

Realistically, not supporting dairy is not a form of political activism when you look at the numbers and how big the industry is. A few people will not even change 0.00000001%.

Well was numbers have a reason to believe in anything , I am not sheep who sees and does what majority does - I go with my own conviction, and yes I feel extremely , deeply compassionate towards animals and this was the reason I chose veganism - by the way if we go by this logic very few if any were against slavery in early days of anti slavery movement.

This is a faith based forum - what point any faith if it does not invoke karuna (mercy. compassion ) in one's heart.

Another problem I see is that Sikhs who adopt Veganism may develop diet problems if they take it to an extreme and start developing various deficiencies which can be even worse for pregnant women because if she is not eating well the kids won't be healthy

Another gross misstatement - I have studied both medicine and nutrition and (except for B12 - even that can be had from sporuts , yeast etc) there is no nutrient that can't be found in plant based diets - also the nuritents in plant based diets are way easier to digest that their animal counterparts.

You think mother nature would design humans so that they wont survive or do well without stealing other animal's breast milk ? Yes , I am not exaggerating we are stealing milk which cow gave for its calf , not for humans.

Haq paraaya nanaka us sooar us gaai

You can be an ostrich and assume that cows are treated with love ....but nothing is further from truth ....do you know what veal is and where it comes from ? This is a must watch ....

The most important thing is exercise: running and weightlifting for both males and females (if normal job/activities don't include this) and a modest diet.

Agree with the modest diet part , problem is most people consume this poisonous and cruel dairy not because they need the nutrition but because the taste addiction of paneer , cheese, butter , ice cream is too hard to break free of - so nothing modest about a dairy based diet - Fareed said

Roti Meri Kaath ki Laavan Meri Bhukh , Jere Khange chopreyan ghane sehenge dukh

just know that I'm skinny and attempting veganism for the second time has made me far too skinny! Would appreciate some sort of plan or tips.

Questioner singh jee ...In one word - "smoothies" - drink one big one in morning and another one in evening, also keep your calorie intake up by eating more frequently

.I would recommend some basic workout like 5-7 minutes of pushups one day and next 5-7 minutes of Indian style squats -

You can see a sample plan here

I agree with this. Nice name, you're one number off of being me. :lol2:

Just to add to this veganism has become more of a cult religious group where people have a false sense of doing something good when in reality they are just appeasing their own guilty conscious. The only way to combat animal abuse is to be politically active. Realistically, not supporting dairy is not a form of political activism when you look at the numbers and how big the industry is. A few people will not even change 0.00000001%.

Another problem I see is that Sikhs who adopt Veganism may develop diet problems if they take it to an extreme and start developing various deficiencies which can be even worse for pregnant women because if she is not eating well the kids won't be healthy. I feel like we're becoming allergic to any fat whatsoever which is wrong because even from a medical perspective fat is very important, but having a belly and having excessive body fat is not.

The most important thing is exercise: running and weightlifting for both males and females (if normal job/activities don't include this) and a modest diet.

With all respect veer ji that Shunning the use of dairy is a great protest in itself....The way capitalism works...the less need for something would eventually negate the profitability of producing milk. There is no market for it. Its also a compassion matter...we should cultivate compassion towards all living things in the way we are able to. I am reminded of the sakhi of the rose that was damaged against the chola of Guru Har Rai....the amount of pyare he showed should be an inspiration....now at that time would you have said his feelings were cultish, I sincerely hope not. There is nothing cultish about showing of compassion. I hope I have caused no offfence and forgive me for any mistakes.

You think mother nature would design humans so that they wont survive or do well without stealing other animal's breast milk ? Yes , I am not exaggerating we are stealing milk which cow gave for its calf , not for humans.

This is a fanatical statement. I will explain why.

1. The Gurus kept milk into a Sikhs diet and also did not refrain from milk. Fanatics now are saying the Gurus stole milk. Anythkng else you want to add mr. Educated.

2. Many vegatables grow in the ground. Farmers spray many toxic pesticides to KILL rats, rabbits, insects and worms. If chemicals are not applied or poison is not put out for animals then the crops are infested and ruined. If the cow milk is only made for the calf. Then vegetables are only made for animals that live off of it. Guru Nanak Dev ji warned us of these fanatical ways.

Obvoiusly this poster has not stepped into any farm to see the reality. He's got his blinds on and only sees green. EVery day one farm worker is put at a higher risk to develop cancer because farmers refuse to give proper working conditions and safety supplies. Yet this poster does not want to hear about these facts. He wants to enjoy his vegetables and fruits in peace without no guilt. Yet he wants others to feel guilty for buy milk. Guru Nanak Dev Ji wrote about how the sugar cane feels pain when going through the crusher. Any person who has dug a 6 inch hole will know there is living breathing creatures being crushed and killed to plant vegetables and fruits. Any compassion here? No none at all. Anyone doing ardas to ask forgivens here? Not even by mistake will these fanatics think about that worm or insect or rat. All they say is eeewwwwww..get that thing away from me, while running to climb on top of a chair or table.

The root problem to all these problems is the capitalist system. Its about increase company size and increase net income and nothing more. Where is the movement against really tackling the problem. Those Sikhs back home who got there hands dirty in the farms know the reality here. Go ask them why all this is happening. Take these pin stripe suit wearing, beard tying, mr. Educated people in a room and let a wild dog loose. After they have had enough with the dog. then ask them what is the problem. Then these people will spell it out for you in a split second.

Veer ji 'fanatical' depends on the person making the statement in relation to the person he is making a comment about no? You have raised some good points about the nature of capitalism as it exists currently and also about methods such as ploughing for fruit and vegetable fields. But everything is relative. Shouldnt it be about minimising suffering we cause. Cows eat more than just grass...they are fed things like soy beans etc. We also have to consider why is it that humans are the only animals to consume milk beyond the natural child phase? Its a learnt habit not a naturally occuring one. I do believe that it is down to the individual to decide on what diet he wishes to follow and not deride anyone else for their choice. Humility. I would however imagine that people who have a genuine concern over the source of where their food comes from will have more respect and humility for what they receive. I would certainly hope so. As a previous poster said its all about teh Naam ultemately though right?

ਤਾਰੀਲੇ ਗਨਿਕਾ ਬਿਨ੝ ਰੂਪ ਕ੝ਬਿਜਾ ਬਿਆਧਿ ਅਜਾਮਲ੝ ਤਾਰੀਅਲੇ ॥
You saved the prostitute, and the ugly hunch-back; You helped the hunter and Ajaamal swim across as well.

ਚਰਨ ਬਧਿਕ ਜਨ ਤੇਊ ਮ੝ਕਤਿ ਭਝ ॥
The hunter who shot Krishna in the foot - even he was liberated.

ਹਉ ਬਲਿ ਬਲਿ ਜਿਨ ਰਾਮ ਕਹੇ ॥੧॥
I am a sacrifice, a sacrifice to those who chant the Lord's Name. ||1||

ਦਾਸੀ ਸ੝ਤ ਜਨ੝ ਬਿਦਰ੝ ਸ੝ਦਾਮਾ ਉਗ੝ਰਸੈਨ ਕਉ ਰਾਜ ਦੀਝ ॥
You saved Bidur, the son of the slave-girl, and Sudama; You restored Ugrasain to his throne.

ਜਪ ਹੀਨ ਤਪ ਹੀਨ ਕ੝ਲ ਹੀਨ ਕ੝ਰਮ ਹੀਨ ਨਾਮੇ ਕੇ ਸ੝ਆਮੀ ਤੇਊ ਤਰੇ ॥੨॥੧॥
Without meditation, without penance, without a good family, without good deeds, Naam Dayv's Lord and Master saved them all. ||2||1||

The Gurus kept milk into a Sikhs diet and also did not refrain from milk. Fanatics now are saying the Gurus stole milk. Anythkng else you want to add mr. Educated.

I failed to address this - if you are consuming milk after the calf has its fill and the cow has been treated with love and respect , then its maybe OK - but you think that applies to modern dairy farming ? Even in a country like India cows are injected with a hormone called oxytocin morning and evening which is tremendously painful to cow and also destructive to human health.

In cows or buffaloes, the flow of milk is stimulated by the calf's nuzzling, since dairy men kill the calf or else separate it from the mother, they inject the cow with oxytocin to stimulate uterine contractions and allow for easy flow of milk. Dr AK Varshney, a veterinary expert, revealed that oxytocin was a slow poison for the bovine. "Oxytocin does not increase the amount of milk but merely makes it flow faster. It causes the equivalent of labor pains in the cow twice a day and destroys her reproductive system prematurely. She grows sterile in four years and is then abandoned onto the street or else slaughtered," he said

source -

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lucknow/Oxytocin-triggers-early-puberty-among-girls-Expert/articleshow/12697535.cms

Gurus suggested us to have simple food - else Guru Arjan dev jee wouldnt have included this slok from Fareed ji "Fareeda Rotee meri kath kee lavan meri bhukh, jere khange chopriya ghane sehenge dukh "

In older times there simply werent enough calories to go around so all food was great, this is no longer the situation. Gurus who taught us compassion in today's world'd most certainly had been vegans