Three Sikhs Guilty Of 'shameful' Attack On Grounds Of Exhall Temple

Mehtab Singh

Three Sikhs brought shame on their faith by launching an attack of almost animal ferocity on a man who had made derogatory remarks about their temple on Facebook.

A judge said he was amazed at the attack in the grounds of a temple which holds itself out to have principles of truth, compassion, humility and love.

The three members of the Baba Vadbhag Singh temple in Bayton Road, Exhall, were all ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

Santokh Singh Sahota, 60, of Jackers Road, Aldermans Green, Coventry; Harpreet Singh Sahota, 29, of Elmsdale Avenue, Little Heath, Coventry; and Gurinderjit Singh, 21, of Hawes Road, Walsall, had pleaded guilty to a charge of affray.

Recorder Christopher Goodchild also ordered them to pay £500 each in compensation to their victim.

Prosecutor Alex Warren said that the defendants and their victim Jujhar Singh Flora are all Sikhs but there are different strands of belief, and two temples close together in Bayton Road.

The defendants attended the Baba Vadbhag Singh temple, about which Mr Flora, who attended the nearby Dukh Niwaran Sahib temple, had expressed some negative views on his Facebook page.

He says he believed he was only sharing those views with friends, but in fact they were open for everyone to see and provoked a hostile reaction, said Mr Warren.

In the early evening on August 28 last year Mr Floras sister was at their temple when four men, including Harpreet Sahota, approached her and said they were looking for her brother because they wanted words with him.

She phoned her brother who arrived at their temple and spoke to her before crossing to the Baba Vadbhag Singh temple.

He was met on the temple car park by Harpreet who suggested they go round the corner but, knowing there was a CCTV camera at the front, Mr Flora said he wished to stay there.

Harpreet told Mr Flora he should remove the Facebook messages and became increasingly aggressive as he was joined by other men, including Singh.

Mr Flora was backed up against a car and, as others joined the group, violence broke out when Santokh Sahota began swearing at Mr Flora and hit him in the face.

That was the cue for others to join in, and Mr Flora was punched and kicked and knocked to the ground, said Warren, who played the CCTV recording in court.

It showed that Mr Flora, whose turban had come off and unravelled as had tried to fight off his attackers, was pursued and struck again after getting to his feet.

His sister tried to stop the attack before a police car was flagged down and officers brought the situation under control and arrested the three defendants.

Mr Flora was left with cuts and bruises to his face and body, and Recorder Goodchild commented: He lost part of his beard; one can imagine how painful that must have been.

Im amazed: this is the grounds of the temple which holds itself out to have principles of truth, compassion, humility and love.

Ranjit Lallie, for Harpreet Sahota and Singh, pointed out that Mr Floras sister was told that what he had written was ruining the temples reputation.

Explaining the historical background, Mr Lallie said the Sikhs were created 300 years ago to protect Hindus, and the priest at the defendants temple was a direct descendant of one of the ten Sikh Gurus.

Without any foundation, the complainant felt it appropriate to make derogatory remarks about the temple and the way they worshipped.

He said that the first two minutes involved what the judge had described as philosophical discussions as his two clients asked Mr Flora to remove his comments, but he was adamant he was not going to do so.

Thereafter what my clients did can only be described as appalling and disgraceful, and they have tarnished the name of the Sikh community who worship at that temple.

Both of my clients are shocked at their behaviour. They are well respected, not only at the temple but in the Sikh community, added Mr Lallie.

And Simon Rippon, for Santokh Sahota, said: He has disgraced himself, his family and his community.

Leamington court recorder Goodchild told the three men: Our history shows there can be occasions when peoples religious feelings start to get out of control; and over the centuries we have tried to overcome that with toleration.

There were two minutes when tolerance and discussion seemed to dominate what was happening.

But then it changed; and what it changed into was an attack of almost animal ferocity of a mob of you against one man. No religious difference of opinion justifies that.

You hold yourselves out to be followers of a peaceful, loving religion. You brought shame on it.

What happened that day, it was shameful.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/three-sikhs-guilty-shameful-attack-6930940

WJKK WJKF

TUT TUT, what a horrible situation. Maybe it would of been an idea for both committees to converse at the views of the sangat and distinguish any flames of krodh within one another, rather than sangat brawling with one another. Ekta within us is a notion we hold and promote to other people and other faiths, but yet not a principal we practice, unfortunately to our own demise.

WJKK WJKK

ਕਰਤਾਰਪੁਰ ਦਾ ਰਈਸ, ਧੀਰਮੱਲ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਵੰਸ਼ ਦਾ ਸੋਢੀ. ਇਸ ਨੇ ਨਾਸਿਰ ਅਲੀ ਜਲੰਧਰ ਦੇ ਫੌਜਦਾਰ ਦੀ (ਜਿਸ ਨੇ ਕਰਤਾਰਪੁਰ ਦਾ ਥੰਮ੍ਹਸਾਹਿਬ ਸਾੜਿਆ ਸੀ) ਲਾਸ਼ ਕਬਰੋਂ ਕੱਢਕੇ ਸਾੜੀ. ਵਡਭਾਗਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਦਾ ਦੇਹਾਂਤ ਸਨ ੧੭੩੨ (ਸੰਮਤ ੧੮੧੯) ਵਿੱਚ ਹੋਇਆ. ਵੰਸ਼ਾਵਲੀ ਇਹ ਹੈ:-#ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਜੀ#।#ਗੁਰੂ ਅਰਜਨਦੇਵ ਜੀ#।#ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿਗਬਿੰਦ ਜੀ#।#ਬਾਬਾ ਗੁਰਦਿੱਤਾ ਜੀ#।#ਧੀਰਮੱਲ ਜੀ#।#ਬਹਾਰਚੰਦ ਜੀ#।#ਨਿਰੰਜਨਰਾਇ ਜੀ#।#ਬਿਕ੍ਰਮਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ#।#ਰਾਮਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ#।#ਵਡਭਾਗਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ

Read the following and also do some google searches as well, this is one of the biggest Deras in India and followings around the world.

Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha Jee has written above, however the dera followers have written the following which is different...

Is this a case of Gurmat vs. Manmat, Truth vs. Lies? Seems like it...

ਵਡਭਾਗਸਿੰਘ -

ਕਰਤਾਰਪੁਰ ਦਾ ਰਈਸ, ਧੀਰਮੱਲ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਵੰਸ਼ ਦਾ ਸੋਢੀ. ਇਸ ਨੇ ਨਾਸਿਰ ਅਲੀ ਜਲੰਧਰ ਦੇ ਫੌਜਦਾਰ ਦੀ (ਜਿਸ ਨੇ ਕਰਤਾਰਪੁਰ ਦਾ ਥੰਮ੍ਹਸਾਹਿਬ ਸਾੜਿਆ ਸੀ) ਲਾਸ਼ ਕਬਰੋਂ ਕੱਢਕੇ ਸਾੜੀ. ਵਡਭਾਗਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਦਾ ਦੇਹਾਂਤ ਸਨ ੧੭੩੨ (ਸੰਮਤ ੧੮੧੯) ਵਿੱਚ ਹੋਇਆ. ਵੰਸ਼ਾਵਲੀ ਇਹ ਹੈ:-#ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਜੀ#।#ਗੁਰੂ ਅਰਜਨਦੇਵ ਜੀ#।#ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿਗਬਿੰਦ ਜੀ#।#ਬਾਬਾ ਗੁਰਦਿੱਤਾ ਜੀ#।#ਧੀਰਮੱਲ ਜੀ#।#ਬਹਾਰਚੰਦ ਜੀ#।#ਨਿਰੰਜਨਰਾਇ ਜੀ#।#ਬਿਕ੍ਰਮਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ#।#ਰਾਮਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ#।#ਵਡਭਾਗਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ

Read the following and also do some google searches as well, this is one of the biggest Deras in India and followings around the world.

Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha Jee has written above, however the dera followers have written the following which is different...

Is this a case of Gurmat vs. Manmat, Truth vs. Lies? Seems like it...

http://bvsj.co.uk/history-of-baba-ji.php

WJKK WJKF

The main reason why so many dera are able to be established is due to the fact that there is a demand, rather a need in some cases for help when it comes to supernatural beings. The problem of fake establishments in my opinion would reduce in number if in our gurdware, support for any situation, whether being a case of having a mental disorder or supernatural/spiritual issue. At present, such situations are ridiculed and no such support base is provided, hence why people have to go else where.

I'm not sure about the practices of the gurdwara in question, as I have never been there, however I am 100% sure there is a issue with the supernatural which needs to be addressed by all local gurdware in confidence, offering path services around the person/family experiencing any such activity. I also believe in the ridhi/sidhi power Baba Vadhbag Singh was gifted and believe this issue needs to be recognised within the sangat of sikhi. It's similar to the alien abduction experience which is mostly ridiculed, however it is actually a world phenomenon with details of the abductions linking to many, almost all cases throughout the whole world geographically.

WJKK WJKF

The reason people go to deras is because they can't get help from anywhere, even gurdwara, they don't understand what to do.

People hear somebody has got better from somewhere and maybe they had, as they themselves say they have, so that's enough for a dukhi to be attracted to go.

When ones is dukhi they will try, like myself, we are stuck as to our karm, it's hard when the whole world is enjoying themselves, and even in Sikhi there are stories of people getting better, even our Gurus went to others, eg: Guru Arjan Dev ji wife, went to Baba Buddhaji, as one thinks ki pata kithon raam ajave. It's very hard, but these people should not take advantage of vulnerable people. As it breaks ones trust in God. It's so confusing, and easy to say don't go here there, but when one is dukhi only they know how dukhi they are,

I also wonder many times why don't gurdware help people like sikhi seeker mentioned.

Everybody wants happiness, those that say stay in hukam, they got everything, and don't know what dukh is

People go with the belief God is everywhere, and they try try and try again, some like me give up thinking what's the point, when so n so got better but one themself don't, so they get put off going even the right places. People that go build up faith in God, then go, they are in no position to think what place is right or wrong, until nothing happens. So what is one to do? Sit at home n rot away, or try to do something about their karm, but even then get heart broken. It's a vicious circle. God knows how people get better, even when they do right thing, maybe the karm not enough.

The reason people go to deras is because they can't get help from anywhere, even gurdwara, they don't understand what to do.

People hear somebody has got better from somewhere and maybe they had, as they themselves say they have, so that's enough for a dukhi to be attracted to go.

When ones is dukhi they will try, like myself, we are stuck as to our karm, it's hard when the whole world is enjoying themselves, and even in Sikhi there are stories of people getting better, even our Gurus went to others, eg: Guru Arjan Dev ji wife, went to Baba Buddhaji, as one thinks ki pata kithon raam ajave. It's very hard, but these people should not take advantage of vulnerable people. As it breaks ones trust in God. It's so confusing, and easy to say don't go here there, but when one is dukhi only they know how dukhi they are,

I also wonder many times why don't gurdware help people like sikhi seeker mentioned.

Everybody wants happiness, those that say stay in hukam, they got everything, and don't know what dukh is

People go with the belief God is everywhere, and they try try and try again, some like me give up thinking what's the point, when so n so got better but one themself don't, so they get put off going even the right places. People that go build up faith in God, then go, they are in no position to think what place is right or wrong, until nothing happens. So what is one to do? Sit at home n rot away, or try to do something about their karm, but even then get heart broken. It's a vicious circle. God knows how people get better, even when they do right thing, maybe the karm not enough.

WJKK WJKF

You hit the nail on its head here. Many people are quick to judge however know and have experienced little within this subject. The usual line of "spirits run away from gursikhs" is all well and good, but not everyone is a gursikh, however this issue is non discriminative and affects many people. Only when you have had a personal experience within this issue and you know it's not a case of a mental disorder as most people suggest, can you fully understand what baba Vadhbag Singh is about and what his shakti still does.

But what you have stated has underlined the problem fully.

WJKK WJKF

Yes you are right sikhiseeker, so many say have faith in god, do paat, obviously we do. Obviously dukhi people have a lot of faith in God., and respect for every human being, Sant, mahapursh, etc. But if God dont help, then it daffect mentally. I actually wish i was dead at times. Its too hard cope, waiting and waiting for change. But then think so and so got better maybe should try somewhere else. Maybe somebody can help, some higher spiritual level being, as its not happening with own efforts. Then i think may be cursed, na banda jeenda na marea, what kind of life is that? So how do people get better, and we dont want to hear you could be worse. How manny times we heard that. If one can help then help without hurting, if not we dont need the lectures, to be made to feel more lower than we heard already are.