Tight Dastaar

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

VJKK VJKF

Sat sangat jeee. I had a question regarding the tightening of the dastaar. I had asked this question in various locations before. One of my friends who is very well educated about sikhi told me I should try and wear the style of the akali's. I asked them if there dastaars would come loose and he told the key to why there dastaars would not come off in the war times is because of all the shastar they had in there dastaar. I dont really have any shastar so is there any other style that gives a tight dastaar that will not come without shastar.

P.S. I tried tightening the lad of my dastaar and that just caused my head to hurt and it still wasn't very effective. I also dont need a tuturiol on how to tie a war dumalla. Just something that is durable and can stay sturdy even in fast motions for a long amount of time. I have also noticed that dastaars come loose after long amounts of times so I need a dastaar that can stay sturdy for at least 15-20 hours.

Again, it doesnt have to be too tight, just enough to survive... lets say a wrestling match.

you can buy a Tora from Canadian tire or home depot. It is a thick metal thread and wrap that around your dastar and it will never fall of.. and then tie another pug ontop. I am assuming you are tying two paags. If not that is also very helpful. Tie a small paag and then a bigger on ontop using the small one as a 50.

Guest Anonymous

If I were to use the tora method you mentioned would it go around the dastaar in a circle or up over the top part?

I am wearing a small gol dastaar and yes I wear two layers.

It's up to you.. I prefer to go an inch.or two over both sides of your ears kinda like the beginning of tying a.paag then do a round or two rounds at The very top then do circles in the middle..and then finally tying your dastar ontop leaving some of the Tora showing though the 50 or sometimes completely concealled but I recommend doing whatever fits you dastar best.. its completely up to you

A few things that I have found:

-Size certainly does not equal sturdiness. In fact in most cases a well tied smaller dumalla is much more sturdy than a large dumalla.

-Mal mal kapra i very good as it is very 'clingy', so to speak. Use mal map kapra for both dastar and bunga.

-Tie a bunga into your kes and wrap the remaining material around your head at least three times so that the bunga can act as a keski. As a result you can tie your dumalla straight onto of your bunga without having to tie an extra keski in between. In my experience, tying an extra keski between the bunga and the dastaar makes it less sturdy.

-As the lars come around the back of your head, tie them as low as possible.

-Also the most effective thing I have found- When starting their dumalla, most people take a bunched up lar from the top of the head and diagonally bring it down over their ear. Instead of this, you should open up the lar, and bring it across your entire head before covering your ear. The lars will therefore be more horizontal however, this makes the foundations of your dastar very secure around your head.

-When tying your bunga, try and keep your joora as small as possible. don't even wrap the extra material around your joora to try to make it big, just wrap all of the remaining material around your entire head.

My dumalla is not very fancy to look at, partly because I just prefer it to look more simple, but also because personally its secureness is more important to me. Generally speaking a more sturdy damalla will end up looking like a goal dastar with a bunga underneath.

EDIT: Also make sure that you actually put a knot in your joora, and not just curl it into a ball by going round and round.

I bought what is called Aircraft Cable from Canadian Tire it cost me $7 I think. It was in a section where there was a whole bunch of metal wires hanging.. you can buy anyone of those and they will do the job, just make sure black grease doesnt come of it cause that will wreck your paag. I cut it at about the length of my paag more or less; Try to cut the edge nicely as possible.

Sikhi Store sells them too http://www.sikhistore.com/product/torra/. You can also search ‘tora chand’ on Google Images to get an idea of what it looks like.

all Turbans will come off easily in a fight and is not advised as a best option. If you get in a headlock your turban could be a serious handicap. I have experimented for years in achieving a perfect dastaar but it doesnt exist....hard and tight turbans will do your head in and wreck the skin on your forehead. Therefore ultimately the attention should be paid on not letting your kesh become untied in a fight situation.

Guest Guest

singh598:

I dont need my dastaar to be that tight, I just need it to be midly sturdy. Besides, there are dastaar designed to not come of in a fight situation,

My friends dumalla has shastar in it and he ties the bunga in such a way that it really will never come off. He even let me pull it and it didn't come off. I just need something that is midly stirdy.