Consumerism - Lets Break Free Of It

We forgot about human happiness, instead we are willing to work half our day so that we can make payments to our houses and cars and when you finish paying you realize you're a disease-ridden old man and that your life is already over.

Don't think people in Punjab would agree with what you have said, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

panthicunity, you have hit upon a truth of life, a truth which is given by the guru, but like other truths is paid lip-service and is presently ignored and lobbed into the waste basket.

Consumerism, capitalism, indeed any form of 'ism' is a terrible disease. Why is it a disease? There has always been lust, greed, ego etc in society translating into uncessary wants, desires and ego fulfilling megalomania, however it was never part of 'popular culture' or the mainstream.

For the large part of human history, we have lived HEALTHY and HAPPY lives, and GOD has provided EVERYTHING that we NEED.

The Gurus themselves, when in human form had rich and fulfilling lives in every sense. Working hard with his hands to sow his own grain as part of a self-sufficient community, Guru Nanak Sahib ji had everything any self-aware human being could possibly want- God, clean organically grown food grown by his own hand, modest organic clothing made by his own hand and modest hutment to live in with his family, made from renewable materials, living in perfect balance with the natural workd, as pristine and unspoiled nature is God's form as much as any other. The Gurus in human form were experienced horsemen, swordsmen, excelled at poetry and philosophical endevours and took pain in the suffering of the world and were ergo the highest order of philantropists. They did not have any need for MONEY for everything they had and could ever want was provided by living in a symbiotic relationship with their natural surroundings. Pind Nanaki, which is now consumed by Anandpur Sahib, was in particular set up by Guru sahib to be a model small scale self sufficient community, living in balance in a symbiotic relationship with their pristine surroundings (ancient forests and wildlife). Such a life is so great that you will not be able to imagine it and it's benefits- one of the core reasons why today's mainstream lifestyle is such a disease- for we are limited to what we have and are able to experience. Once unspoiled nature is wiped out and limited to small pockets- we know no other way of life. One thing that nobody would pay attention to is sound. We ignore sound. Sound has historically played a great role in the development of humans. Our brains prioritise sound. The universe was created with sound. The sound current of the Naad vibrates in the Shabad, party through sound that may actually be perceived. For one who's inner ear is active through God's grace, is unfortunately overwhelmed by NOISE. Even your mobile phone has electronic parts that give off low frequency noise. The oceans today are abound with noise. This is interfering with the existence of the world at a very subtle and unexplainable (by today's knowledge of 'science') way. However to you, you know no other and it is accepted as normal. The consumerist world is visually driven- media, advertising, sex, suble sound is given the short stick. Keertan (praise the lord God whom I love), is struggling today. For your own amusement, ask a so called 'sikh sant' about said noise and he will be as clueless as a fish out of water. If the shabad guru were to take a human body today, his first reaction would be to instantly recoil and plug his ears for the global background noise from mechanics and electronics is overwhelming to the natural ear. This is one of many subleties that we ignore on a daily basis because we simply don't know better.

The Gurus in human form did not have mass consumer products, electricity etc. Their manner of living was akaal- timeless- they were not, contrary to what the so called 'babas' and 99% of the "sikhs" today will tell you, which I personally consider to be absolure heresy, that the Gurus in human form were poor unfortunate backward uneducated people living in poverty of body and mind. They will not say so in those precide words but they will readily imply it in suggesting that the Gurus would "jump" at the "opportunity" to live with today's mod cons and consumerist lifestyle. In other words, in these days of Godlessness, we do not trust, nor believe the Guru nor follow their example when it does not suit.

Dhan shabad guru cries hoarse about the pointlessness of accumulating uncessary material wealth. Gurbani refers to the futineless of applying the cleverness of the mind towards unjust and pointless means, and that they will not only be left behind, but may be the cause of problems unto yourself and others, including the natural words. Gurbani taken as a whole is profound to the extent, in my opinion, that the vast majority of people are perhaps unwilling to put it all together, or they are simple unwilling- stuck in the downward spiral of maya initiated by their own selfish egoistic houmai-ridden selves.

Punjabis, who make up the overwhelming majority of Sikhs are amongst the most materialistic and consumerist societies in existence today. Statistics show that they are they make up the most materialistic and consumerist immigrant communities in the UK and the USA, surpassing the Jews, who (stereotypically) have a history of hoarding wealth. Punjabis within India are part of the whole developing nation system, that is to say, mindless "devepment" and "progress" at any cost, however what "development" and "progress" exactly? Punjab today has toxic rivers and polluted air, if there is any water at all left to flow, non existent ancient forest cover, no real pristine unspoiled nature to speak of and people are unsprisingly dying of cancers and various modern age lifestyle diseases, and this indeed holds true for most of the Sub continent. There are fortunately some who appeal for zero development, but such people are dismissed without though, as "backward savages" (whereas in fact they may be highly enlightened).

How does one do introspection without bias is a valid question I hear you ask (or indeed should be asking). In order to be able to analyse the situation, one must disassociate from the present, as if we were looking at our present as if it were some civilisation in history. Only through this detachment from the daily grind, are we able to see how such fools we are. It is well established (all agree regardless of faith or godlessness), that life's true meaning is about positive virtues and self enlightemnment and indeed this is where the West his been headed in aspiration for a while now- i.e. clean air, health, organic food, world-free from poverty and suffering, sparing nature, pursuit of arts, poetry and philosophy etc- unfortunately they do it in the only way they know how- i.e. through the global economic system- i.e. ratrace to the top, collecting as much money as possible, trickle down to the poor, gaining the stresses and diseases of this life, and then trying to supplement it with the afore-mentioned good stuff (at the expense of dumping their waste then on the third world), further concreting in the minds of those in the developing countries that this is the only way to personal salvation. God of course be damned or is separate from life itself. And for those who cry hoarse about econmics and poverty- All whilst Gurbani tells us that poverty and suffering are a cause of human greed and selfishness, rather than any inherent trait- for God created the most perfect system and is the source of all things good. All the greatest thinkers throughout human history agree. You however may not agree based simply on the fact that you're part of this sytem. It is a highly intoxicating system from which we cannot detach for even mere self-introspection. It is a disease, a cancer of the highest order. Ask a so called 'sikh saint' about living a self-sustainable life, they way God has willed and he will look at you stupidly.

Let us compare to the time of Guru sahib in human form- when the lions roamed free from persecution, from Gujarat to the Himalayas, when the rivers flowed undammed and where Guru Gobind Singh received the shabad of Benti Choupaye from Akaal Purakh and immortalised the teer sutadrav within it. There are no two ways about it- humans are a scourge on the earth- every place they occupy becomes wasteland or concrete jungle. We generally struggle to coexist with nature and wildlife is killed of in the biggest genocide in the history of the world- flora and fauna that have flourished for millions of years undisturbed and which at a subtle level, more subtle than man may ever be able to comprehend actually support our survival including through the subtle vibrations they release, but that is the subject of another debate.

The human population explosion in the world is a NEW phenomenon. If you don't believe the GURU sahib, then please read "The third revolution" by Paul Harrison (http://www.amazon.com/The-Third-Revolution-Environment-Sustainable/dp/0140146598), which should be essential reading in schools- you absolutely must read this in order to understand why we are where we are today. Was the world always exploding with humans spilling out of every corner of the earth, widespread famines and diease, polluted water and air, consumerism/money/economics/capitalism/communism/'ism's of any kind- a big fat emphatic NO. We started out as living in small self sufficient, happy and healthy communities- highly rich in language, arts, culture and science (the average man knew more about astronomy and nature than you, the alleged modern school system educated reader). Research also about the native americans- not the plains Indians immortalised in pop western films, but rather the highly advanced aztec and other southern native populations wherein each man was farmer-priest-worker and soldier rolled into one (ring any bells?). Watch the documentary "500 nations" to know more about these enlightened people (again partly as we rather not believe the Guru's shabad and life example and like to believe others). Of course all the peace loving and highly advanced civilisations in existence were wiped out by greed and conquest at the end of the day.

If we want to believe the Gurus, the poignant truth is available in the Shabad if you search with a true heart. The truth are available directly to those Gurmukhs whose mind is attached solely on GOD, if they so yearn for said truth. If however you are unable to do mere introspection and are unwilling to even consider than any alternative to the mainstream popular way of money driven- life being aspired for today, even exists, forget even could be optimal, then that is ego of the highest order, for we must always challenge our assumptions, no matter how basic, and learn the truth from the Guru and ask guide to guide us INTUITIVELY.

Life is meant to be intuitive. Sahej. Without uncessary mental stress, consumerism ratrace included. Any any all so called 'modern' development is nothing more than a solution to problems created by previous "developments". Think about it. Do you know that today's lifestyle would not have been possible without oil? I bet you do not know that Guru Gobind Singh ji expressly forbade the burning of crude oil: maati ka tel jo is par jaale, maat ka tel phir usee ko jaale ['maati ka tel' actually meaning 'crude oil' and not just kerosene oil, which is one of the early petroleums. Plastics and chemicals are made from oil. This means an entirely organic life using renewable materials in all aspects of life. The Gurus lived this life and today even the "babas" cannot manage without crude oil and it's derivatives. But it's possible I assure you.

Read also the "one straw revolution" by Fukuoka, another book for essential reading, it will help you break your mind's link between "job" "naukri" "money" etc and life. [Gurbani is very clear as to what is one's true profession and one's true trade and job but we pay these shabads lip-service as usual]. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS JOB OR PROFESSION. In fact it is downright ridiculous to define yourself by this.

On ownership: Gurbani is again very clear on what is capable of being owned. Slavery has existed in human history and continues to exist. The majority of 21st century slaves including children sex slaves, exist in India- a shameful truth indeed. Whilst today we have begun to understand that human beings cannot be 'owned', not long ago it was the norm to consider ownership of an individual, as mainstream thought. The bible, koran, torah, hindu scriptures all accept slavery, even if they ask one to be kind to one's slaves. God rejects slavery and seeks emancipation of his form. It is all his form. ALL. Parcicularly unspoiled nature. People buy and sell land. They are slave owners and enslave nature for their benefits. It is no secret that the big consumer push in the last 200 years has been on the back of slavery of humans prior and nature subsequent- for such 'development' needs to come from somewhere. In the sense that energy is finite, someone has to suffer for another's immoral gain. One can be a humble servant of God and be both friend and guardian of land. Nature has a right to self existence. Humans however see unspoiled nature as being far too much a temptation- for it must be conquered. There are some places where we are just not meant to be.

Can you imagine a life without money? Without being a wage slave? Living in a peaceful, self-sufficient sustainable community that is highly self-aware? One where the naam vibrates? One where wildlife roam free? Can such a life exist today? It is very difficult but possible and this servant is amongst a few who have been ordered by God to try to make it possible. For today's lifestyle is not sustainable and will implode, I forewarn you. And when this happens only those who are living by their own hands will survive. And such life is bliss and the closest one to God whilst still living, I assure you.

For anyone who reads this, let it be a though provoking message for self-intrspection, I do not present you with this golden information for mindless debate on this website- my words are for self introspection and if you want to know more, do an ardaas and God will lead you to like minded individuals, Inshallah. Please do not insult this servant of the Lord God by reading too far into the inevitable errors in the message, for he is not perfect, but the essence I hope is clear enough.

Many words and no praise for God- such is my ego. God is my true inspiration, my sole friend, my only passionate lover, my parents, my support and my destroyer too. Unseen and unheard or conspicuous- he is all I see in everything- man, animal or tree, thoughts, actions and words, God is there waiting to be recognised.

I rarely use internet today as I have left behind my 'consumerism' life of old, and only use this technology during the transition to a life free of . It is my God given mission to assist in bringing a self sustaining natural way of life back to humanity and I will happily die towards this aim- and die I might need to as this disease of consumerism/money is so toxic that even the mere suggestion of an alternative can get me killed in some parts. But I belong to God and not anyone else.

Take care. Love your God.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

what a write up - admins make this a sticky for life - 100% spot on chardeee kala --