Sikhi Dates

Tony

gurmatbibek.com

When the Sardar Purewal's Nanakshahi calendar came out, I was in full support of it and all these years, I have been supporting it but couple of years ago, since the SGPC revised this Nanakshahi calendar, I have been reading and researching the calendars and the outcome has been as follows:

1. The only deficiency that I can find in the Bikrami calendar is that it's 22 minutes longer than the current more accurate solar calendar. This results in a day's difference after 72 years or so. If the Bikrami calendar is inaccurate by 22 minutes, then the scholars should sit together and adjust this calendar by 22 minutes, as they had done in 1964, when they adjusted the length of this calendar by few minutes. The solution to the 22 minute time difference is not adopting a totally new calendar. This problem can be solved by adjusting the length of the Bikrami Calendar.

2. The argument that sometimes the Bikrami calendar Gurpurab dates result in Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee's Gurpurab appearing two times in a single English calendar and sometimes not appearing at all does not hold too much ground because it's not fair to judge the Bikrami calendar by the standards of the current solar calendar. It's like comparing oranges and apples. The fair comparison would be to compare 3 years of Bikrami calendar with 3 years of solar calendar to see if the number of Gurpurabs in each calendar are equal or not. To compare it every year is not a fair comparison because the Bikrami calendar adjusts itself to the solar calendar every 3 years.

3. I am extremely impressed by the wisdom of the Indian scholars who came up with this hybrid solar-lunar calendar – the Bikrami calendar more than 2000 years ago. This calendar so diligently keeps both solar and lunar considerations in one calendar. When a Gurpurab is celebrated, it keeps in view the positions of the nature e.g. the position of moon, weather etc. In a pure lunar calendar, they may be able to keep the position of the moon but they can't keep the position of weather but in this calendar you can have both positions – weather and moon. Spiritually it makes no difference what the position of the moon is or what the weather is but if we want to celebrate Kattak-Pooranmashi Gurpurab of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee as per the Bikrami calendar, then we can relate to the account listed in our Janamsakhis about the natural conditions at that time. With other calendars, this is not possible.

4. The newly adjusted SGPC calendar is a disaster. Some Gurpurab dates are as per the Bikrami calendar and some as per Sardar Purewal jee's Nanakshahi calendar. Either they should have left the original Nanakshahi calendar as is or they should have adopted back the Bikrami calendar.

5. Having said that, I think more important than any calendar is the unity of Panth. Nanakshahi calendar divided the Panth because all segments within the Panth were not taken into confidence when implementing this calendar. The original Bikrami calendar should been left rather than adopting the new one and causing a severe disunity in Panth. Now too, they should scrap the new adjusted SGPC Nanakshahi calendar and adopt the Bikrami calendar. Disunity should not be allowed at any cost. The issue of calendar is not a maryada issue or some spiritual issue. Then what was the need to make this change originally and cause such disunity in the Panth?

Some of my Gursikh friends will be shocked to read what I have written above because all these years, I have been a staunch supporter of the Nanakshahi calendar but in the light of more knowledge, contemplation on this issue and considering the unity factor in the Panth, I have reached the conclusion, written above.

Bhul chuk dee Muaafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

dude don't trust everything you read on these forums the above post seems purposly made to cause problems by making up "facts"... how could a lunar calender be needed to he reajusted and wrong by 22 minutes.. bikrami does not even acknowledge minutes as a time measurement... after 3 days of full moon a new month happens.. after 12 month changes a new year is added.. it is the same now.. the same 6000 years ago and will be the same In the next 3000 years.

Great explanations.

However my question is and was very simple.

Look at the SGPC Web site: Vaisakhi 2014 is listed on the 13th of April 2014.

Go to any SGPC Gurudwara: Vaisakhi 2014 is celebrated on the 14th April 2014.

Why? Just Why?

Secondly: For ppl causing this confusion; interesting to know which calendar do you live your day to day life with.

Me still unhappy as I dont have the answer!

Fateh . . . .

gurmatbibek.com

When the Sardar Purewal's Nanakshahi calendar came out, I was in full support of it and all these years, I have been supporting it but couple of years ago, since the SGPC revised this Nanakshahi calendar, I have been reading and researching the calendars and the outcome has been as follows:

1. The only deficiency that I can find in the Bikrami calendar is that it's 22 minutes longer than the current more accurate solar calendar. This results in a day's difference after 72 years or so. If the Bikrami calendar is inaccurate by 22 minutes, then the scholars should sit together and adjust this calendar by 22 minutes, as they had done in 1964, when they adjusted the length of this calendar by few minutes. The solution to the 22 minute time difference is not adopting a totally new calendar. This problem can be solved by adjusting the length of the Bikrami Calendar.

2. The argument that sometimes the Bikrami calendar Gurpurab dates result in Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee's Gurpurab appearing two times in a single English calendar and sometimes not appearing at all does not hold too much ground because it's not fair to judge the Bikrami calendar by the standards of the current solar calendar. It's like comparing oranges and apples. The fair comparison would be to compare 3 years of Bikrami calendar with 3 years of solar calendar to see if the number of Gurpurabs in each calendar are equal or not. To compare it every year is not a fair comparison because the Bikrami calendar adjusts itself to the solar calendar every 3 years.

3. I am extremely impressed by the wisdom of the Indian scholars who came up with this hybrid solar-lunar calendar – the Bikrami calendar more than 2000 years ago. This calendar so diligently keeps both solar and lunar considerations in one calendar. When a Gurpurab is celebrated, it keeps in view the positions of the nature e.g. the position of moon, weather etc. In a pure lunar calendar, they may be able to keep the position of the moon but they can't keep the position of weather but in this calendar you can have both positions – weather and moon. Spiritually it makes no difference what the position of the moon is or what the weather is but if we want to celebrate Kattak-Pooranmashi Gurpurab of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee as per the Bikrami calendar, then we can relate to the account listed in our Janamsakhis about the natural conditions at that time. With other calendars, this is not possible.

4. The newly adjusted SGPC calendar is a disaster. Some Gurpurab dates are as per the Bikrami calendar and some as per Sardar Purewal jee's Nanakshahi calendar. Either they should have left the original Nanakshahi calendar as is or they should have adopted back the Bikrami calendar.

5. Having said that, I think more important than any calendar is the unity of Panth. Nanakshahi calendar divided the Panth because all segments within the Panth were not taken into confidence when implementing this calendar. The original Bikrami calendar should been left rather than adopting the new one and causing a severe disunity in Panth. Now too, they should scrap the new adjusted SGPC Nanakshahi calendar and adopt the Bikrami calendar. Disunity should not be allowed at any cost. The issue of calendar is not a maryada issue or some spiritual issue. Then what was the need to make this change originally and cause such disunity in the Panth?

Some of my Gursikh friends will be shocked to read what I have written above because all these years, I have been a staunch supporter of the Nanakshahi calendar but in the light of more knowledge, contemplation on this issue and considering the unity factor in the Panth, I have reached the conclusion, written above.

Bhul chuk dee Muaafi jee.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

Bro , whatever you are stating is half truth & concocted facts .

To start with , let me start with what is solar & Lunar Calander and what Bikrami calender is . In India we have 2 calenders in vogue , Saka & bikrami . Saka calender is improved version of solar calender of SAKAS (SCYTHIANS) who were worshippers of Sun . the solar calender reckons one single revolution of earth around sun as one year which is some where around 365.34 days (one day as we all know being time taken by earth in one revolution around its own axis ), to adjust the extra 0.34 day we have every third year as leap year . Now another system is Lunar calender which considers one revolution of moon around earth as one month(it is 29point something earth days for layman like me )now this makes 12 lunar months equal 362 days app which creates anomaly of anniversaries as per lunar calenders coming 10-11 days early in suceeding years in solar calenders . To remove this anomaly the indian astronomers created extra month in every third lunar year called as mal maas in hindu calenders .

present christian calender is improved version of JUlian solar calender , which like SAKa samvat of Indian calender is a Solar calender . Government of india adopted Saka Calender as their official calender as dates once fixed as per this calender will never be at variance in comparison to Chirstiann Calender (in vogue in most of the world ) .

Bikrami calender , Started by king Vikramaditya of Ujjain upon his ascention on throne is a lunar calender hence any anniversary is celebrated according to this calender may come 10-11 days earlier in suceeding year , which has been happening in Sikh Gurupurabs .The days of puranmasi , masya , panchami , chaudh (14th day of lunar month ), dasmi ikadas etc being observed in most deras also fall under same category

To clear this anomaly Dr Purewal suggested adoption of a solar based Khalsa Calender , through which all gurupurabs would be , falling on the same date of Gragorian Calender

(Christian calender )every year .It was the duty of SGPC to convince all concerned , if it wanted to adopt this proposed calender , about the benefits of a better scientific and mathematically more accurate calender .If there were some protests the sangat should have been informed about it and proper deliberation should have been conducted to reach an agreement . I presume some deras will always oppose such approach as their system of observing Masya , puranmasi , Panchami , chauth (4th of Lunar month ) dasmi , Chaudh (14 th of Lunar month ) which is not in tume with the views of Gurbani Mahawaak MAAH DIWAS MOORAT(MUHURTA ) BHALE JIN KAU NADAR KAREY.

But what the SGPC did , i need not repeat the whole happening s over the years , implemented the calender , wilted under the pressure , agreed to observe some Gurupurbs as per Lunar calender and some as per Solar calender making mockery of whole Sikh Community . if we want to stick to Lunar calender , there is nothing wrong or to feel ashamed of it , See in islam they still follow lunar Calender (Hijri Calender )and also do not add the month (as indian Bikrami calender does ) hence after every 3 years Eid slips one month Back in gGregorian Calender , but they do follow their own tradition . Same way if we want to adopt (our indian Lunar calender is better & improved version )lunar , let us adopt but that will not happen , reason everyone knows , clash of egos, run to show that ours is scientific faith and only notion thatwhat i say is correct (by all concerned quarters)

If we stick to the system of Gurmata , the decision making by concesus , dropping our egos only this and so many other issues can be resolved

i have put my views only as suggestion without any illwill towards anyone , if some Bro feels agitated , my apologies in advance

FATEH

It is only relativly 11-12 days earlier if we compare it with Georgian but why do we need to compare it with Georgian? you are wrong in your measurement there are not 29 days in a lunar month... and why do we need to have the same amount of days per year.. why do we need to have one revolution of earth equal one year from the exact same location?... Their will alyays be 12 solar months in one revolution of the earth anyways.. and Bikrami is always accurate even up this year when Chet 1 2071 happened it was when the exact beginning of real spring. if it is even a day behind according to your Georgian logic it will come a day ahead by itself in the next few years accordding to your logic anyways.. I hope more people use what gurbani taught us and recognize today as being Vasaiakh 2 2071 and leave these silly government controlled SPGC and other manmut groups. Fateh karla... Guru Nanak Maharaj nu sohnoh