Which Is The Actual Shape Of Our Turban?

WJKK WJKF

I would like to first of all congratulate you on walking the path of sikhi. I wish Akal Purakh showers you with gian.

Secondly, I personally don't feel that the particular type or style of turban matters. Obviously certain groups or jathas have certain historical and traditional preferences however, I feel that it is more important for the brother or sister in honouring their turban with the way in which they follow their rehat and hold themselves within public. Any turban is physically and simply cloth, wrapped around the head to honour and protect the kesh in whatever style. The principal and meaning behind this cloth is more important, not the style. The issue you have raise reminds me of Dhan Dhan baba sheikh farids salok:

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਮੈ ਭੋਲਾਵਾ ਪਗ ਦਾ ਮਤੁ ਮੈਲੀ ਹੋਇ ਜਾਇ ॥

Fareedhaa Mai Bholaavaa Pag Dhaa Math Mailee Hoe Jaae ||

फरीदा मै भोलावा पग दा मतु मैली होइ जाइ ॥

Fareed, I was worried that my turban might become dirty.

ਗਹਿਲਾ ਰੂਹੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਈ ਸਿਰੁ ਭੀ ਮਿਟੀ ਖਾਇ ॥੨੬॥

Gehilaa Roohu N Jaanee Sir Bhee Mittee Khaae ||26||

गहिला रूहु न जाणई सिरु भी मिटी खाइ ॥२६॥

My thoughtless self did not realize that one day, dust will consume my head as well. ||26||

WJKK WJKF

There is no specific type of dastar for Sikhs, but Gurbani does talk about an oocha dumalara. Original Akali Nihangs wore tall dastars, but towards the Misl period and when Sikh sardars began to gain victories they took the Afghani style dastar and refined it into the patiala shahi dastar and it has been evolving ever since.

Personally I prefer dumalla, but mom and dad prefer me to tie a triangular dastar so I occasionally do tie nok patiala shahi (only blue)

ਵਾਿਹਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾਵਾਿਹਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹ॥_/\_

Sardar Jassa Singh Ahluwalia was raised in Delhi under Mata Sahib Kaur Jee's guidance. She is the Mother of the Khalsa Panth and the Sri Mati Jee of Sahib E Kamaal Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaj. Sardar Jassa Singh Ahluwalia wore a Mughal Style Dastar because Delhi was under heavy Mughal influece at the time. If what he was doing was bad, I have no doubt Mata Jee would have stopped him. The Dastar style doesn't really matter as far as I know. Tie a Dastar that is clean in terms of dirt and in terms of Lars so that it looks nice. Don't just wrap a Chadar around your head cause that doesn't really count as a Dastar haha. Just my two cents. Anyone else?

Bhul Chuk Muaaf Jee

ਵਾਿਹਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾਵਾਿਹਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹ॥_/\_