Malaria Tablets Suitable For Sikhs

classicsingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Waheguru Ji Ki Fathe

I will be visiting India in a few week. My GP recommended maleria tablets (Paludrine Avloclor Antimalarial).

After looking into the ingrediants I found it contains gelatin.

Does any one know of any alternative.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Waheguru Ji Ki Fathe

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Waheguru Ji Ki Fathe

I will be visiting India in a few week. My GP recommended maleria tablets (Paludrine Avloclor Antimalarial).

After looking into the ingrediants I found it contains gelatin.

Does any one know of any alternative.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Waheguru Ji Ki Fathe

Have u tried asking the pharmacist?

I am a GP. You do not need malaria chemoprophylaxis for most of India. Certainly not for the north or Punjab specifically. If you are taking them though, then I see no reason why they are not appropriate because we are Sikhs. Ensure your tetanus (DTP) status is upto date ie get a jab if its been longer then 10y since your last one unless you have accumulated 5 jabs in a lifetime, then you are likely to have lifelong immunity; get your Hepatitis A jab unless you have had two jabs within 12m apart in the last 20y; and finally ensure you have a typhoid jab, unless you have had one within the last 3y. I do not recommend a rabies jab - but if bitten seek medical advice straight away when over there. In general Punjab is low risk for that too. If you have not been to India often, then if its a short trip, it may be worthy taking a pack of azithromycin prescribed by your GP in case of gastroenteritis as your naturally immunity is proabably not great if you're not accostomed to exotic travel and you do not want a short holiday to get ruined by the runs.