Converting To Sikhism - Is It Something For Me?

Guest Gabriel

Well, if I were to simply say "Sikhs do this" then I'd probably be

a) criticised for making a sweeping statement by those Sikhs who do cut their hair, or

b) questioned as to why so many Sikhs then cut their hair.

Can't really win no matter what you say yo.

please hold the aspect of truth :(...who gets hurt or not it does not matter at all...The main thing we should remember our gurus should not be hurt...

Guest Gabriel

Thanks for all the answers :)

A thing which really interests me is how many % of Sikhs are the "orthodox" Sikhs?

If I go to a Gurdwara how should I behave there? I read that mostly there are masses about 10am on Sundays but I probably would like to go "after hours" instead of going to a mass right away. I guess all or almost all people there will be foreigners so should I speak with them in English? What do you think? I heard that at the entrance I need to take off my shoes and take something on my head - I read that mostly it is provided but what if it's not? I better take something with me, what's the best choice? I have short hair.

1. Orthodox Sikh men and women do not shave, trim or remove any hair. It is not unhygienic, and I find it a little strange that the norm has become for women to shave their armpits while most men don't - are the men not unhygienic then? In terms of hygiene, a Sikh must wash every day and keep clean. It's just natural, only seems weird to the unnatural Western world today.

2. A lot of Sikhs sleep, shower (unless washing hair) in a keski, which is a small turban. Some believe that the turban should be kept on whenever possible, while others may be more lenient.

3. There are lots of reasons that many Sikhs hold that eating any meat is unacceptable, I don't think it has anything to do with origin. For example, we're told that a Sikh must be truly compassionate, and accept a humble, healthy diet, and these things are incompatible with eating slaughtered animals.

Sikhs are Orthoprax. :-)

Gabriel

You are only 15 and such an independent thinker. That will serve you well throughout your life regardless of your path. As you may know if you’ve read about ‘Sikhi’ (Sikhism), the faith respects all paths and does not believe in a need to “convert”. At the same time, Sikhi is a path that is open to anyone to own for themselves.

For the above reasons it is only honorable as per Sikhi to first care for you as a young person ahead of caring for you as a potential Sikh. I note that you are only 15 years old. At this age as you are open to so many ideas. You are also potentially influenced by so much good, bad, and fleeting. Although Sikhi may be amazing for those on the path, ensure that it is the complete picture of Sikhi that is suitable to you. Take the time you need to explore. Sikh men and women do wear “swords”, but you should understand the origin and history of that to know precisely how sacred and meaningful that “kirpan” is. The uncut hair/beard and turban is all part of the required identity and part of living the faith. There is a deep history and spiritual tie in to Sikh living. Do it right and you become a radiant, benevolent, fearless, lion/lioness.

Most religions anxiously “love you” to increase numbers. Sikhi is not insecure. It is one of the few that at it’s very core and origin teaches to love, respect, and fight for all religions/paths (sarbat da balla). At the same time Sikhi says come on board here and you should commit to being saint soldier for all of humanity and a student (‘Sikh’) always.

Don’t get me wrong regarding your interest in Sikhi. Sikhs admire and even look up to a person who starts completely outside the faith to take an interest. That person’s commitment usually is the most akin to the commitment of the panj pyare.

A caution I will throw your way is that many who identify as Sikhs today, despite being good people are slaves to mediocre yawns of success. They have lost the plot and lack the subtle sophistication to live the symphony of Sikhi. They prefer the comfort of anonymity amongst the crowd. In addition there are also those who identify with Sikhi that insult Sikhi with asinine backwoods ethics and mere caste-like familial claims to the identity. By definition, there is no such thing as a familial claim to Sikhi.

Regardless, when you meet a person who actually endeavors to live as a Sikh, whether they are from a village or city in Punjab, London, or L.A., you will admire their powerful radiance for life.

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts. I'm sure you will teach us through your questions and curious mind.

Gabriel there are two aspects of Sikhism,

one Spiritual other Temporal.

Being spiritual means reading, contemplating & practicing Gurbani.

Temporal includes getting formally baptised or taking Khandey da Amrit.

A Sikh must also follow the Sikh Code of Conduct (Rehat Maryada).

My advice, don't rush, take one step at a time.

Here are some more links

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Visiting_a_Gurdwara

http://www.newtosikhi.com/group/gurdwaraetiquette/forum/topics/top-tips-for-going-to-the

All the best.

Guest Gabriel

Thanks a lot for many good words and for the links!

Buddasingh, I have read the history of Sikhs and it is very impressive and touching. I understand what is the symbolics of Kirpan.

Referring to what singhbj singh said - how does Sikhism look in terms of formalities like registration of religion for things like passport or the name change? I'm thinking quite in future but it would be strange to have very Christian name while being a Sikh, Gabriel is a name of an arch-angel, the rest of my name is even more faith-related.

I would like to repeat the question - how many Sikhs are the earlier described as "Orthodox"? How are you taking these restrictions yourself? This is one point why I wanted to ask about Sikhi on a forum instead of reading 100% correct wiki pages.

Guest kaur

Hi Gabriel, congratulations on contemplating on such a big subject at such a young age. That indeed is a very good quality

Sikhi is a journey, once you have read gurbani, sikh history and you decide that you want to be initiated into the order of the khalsa, you can prepare to take amrit. Taking amrit is something all Sikhs aspire to do. Some do it, while others continue their spiritual journey but do join the Khalsa.

Unlike other religions, you cannot say an oathe and then automatically become a Sikh. You must work towards it, and once it's in your mind, body and soul you will know.

Cutting of hair is no way considered unhygienic, that is the image the media potrays, but really if that was the case wouldn't all people opt to be bald?

I HIGHLY RECCOMEND BASICS OF SIKHI : http://www.youtube.com/user/basicsofsikhi

Sikhs don't just wear swords, Sikhi follows the basic tenents of manhood as well.

The core of that is protection, and laughter in the fqce of death. See when you are older about carry options for firearms.

The truth of it is, Sikhs are men. Men amongst men choose Sikhi; if any man understood it all (being a man) he would be dressed as a Sikh, with a so called prayer bead in one hand and shotgun/sword in the other.

If you wish to live with honor; become a Sikh. I

f you feel too young, to understand this no one will insult you.

Even learning about it, and wearinf the turban/beard will benefit you.

Just because we have more honor, does not mean we insult that of 'others'.

Also, there is no such thing as an orthodox sikh. It is a practice, like the army not a religious order through practice and adherance you develop a certain routine and ethical code.

It is like if I have you start two cars, one with sugar and one with gas; you will learn quickly why gas is preferred.

Orthodox would be explaining why sugar is 'bad' without any practical, objective way for you to see for youself.

ਖਾਲਿਸਤਾਨ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਾਬਾਦ |

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ | ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹਿ | |

Guest Gabriel

Thanks you very much for all the answers, I have no further questions :)

If you have anything else to add, you are very welcome, I will read it.