Beard - Explanation From 2Nd Jathedar Hazur Sahib

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

also daas thinks this trend of tying dhari started only in sikh religion

from last 2 generation... my dad does so as my grandfather did... but i think its only in sikh community .. leonardo da vinci and graham bell had one and i havent yet a single of them with thier beard tied..

i am a software engineer, and they dont even ask me to tie my beard :|

If your were a car mechanic or welder than tying your beard up out of the way of getting caught is respectful. Then I have also seen people not tie their beard in professions that it can be done.

But software engineering! The acting jathedar is clueless of your job and your parents want you to "look more professional"

You are doing the right thing by not tying it.

Companies cannot ask a singh to tie their beard up. Unless it is for safety reasons. Even then it can be challenged because some of this safety policy are not really their for safety reasons. This can fall into discrimination and the company can be sued big time.

If ever some manager or owner tells you to tie the beard up, get them saying it in an email. If anyone is stuck in such a issue send me an pm and I will let you know how to go about it in a formal matter.

Waheguroo, I've also been plagued with this question and also in the same profession- software engineer! Guru Kirpa, I don't tie it either but I do "tuck it" into my shirt as otherwise it touches the keyboard lol. But these questions arise for a number of reasons e.g. insecurity, lack of barosa in SatGuru and also a fear of not fitting in.

On the other hand, if you are in a profession where its a "health and safety" like a mechanic or something then it makes sense to tie or use another method to keep your dhara out of the way.

WJKK WJKF

recently my family has been behind me - to tie my beard

but recently a good singh went to hazur sahib and the 2nd acting jathedar ji (NOT kulwant singh ji ) had a talk with me on call

and he explained that you can tie beard on work where you require sometimes

but i explained him with these 2 tuks

sabat surat sidha dara kat ka kanga keshi chada

sabat surat dastar sira

2nd jathedars reply :- we shouldnt be so katar

not sure what to think of this but never going to tie my beard.

Man, sometimes you seem so 'hardcore' on this website, but you're having doubts about this?

Get a grip of yourself, hold yourself together, you're a softwarer engineer, no need to tie!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• yeh it's true, we shouldn't be lazy and need to learn jhatka shikaar. It doesn't help some of grew up in surrounding areas like Slough and Southall where everyone thought it was super bad for amrit dharis to eat meat, and they were following Sant babas and jathas, and instead the Singhs should have been normalising jhatka just like the recent world war soldiers did. We are trying to rectifiy this and khalsa should learn jhatka.  But I am just writing about bhog for those that are still learning rehit. As I explained, there are all these negative influences in the panth that talk against rehit, but this shouldn't deter us from taking khanda pahul, no matter what level of rehit we are!
    • How is it going to help? The link is of a Sikh hunter. Fine, but what good does that do the lazy Sikh who ate khulla maas in a restaurant? By the way, for the OP, yes, it's against rehit to eat khulla maas.
    • Yeah, Sikhs should do bhog of food they eat. But the point of bhog is to only do bhog of food which is fit to be presented to Maharaj. It's not maryada to do bhog of khulla maas and pretend it's OK to eat. It's not. Come on, bro, you should know better than to bring this Sakhi into it. Is this Sikh in the restaurant accompanied by Guru Gobind Singh ji? Is he fighting a dharam yudh? Or is he merely filling his belly with the nearest restaurant?  Please don't make a mockery of our puratan Singhs' sacrifices by comparing them to lazy Sikhs who eat khulla maas.
    • Seriously?? The Dhadi is trying to be cute. For those who didn't get it, he said: "Some say Maharaj killed bakras (goats). Some say he cut the heads of the Panj Piyaras. The truth is that they weren't goats. It was she-goats (ਬਕਰੀਆਂ). He jhatka'd she-goats. Not he-goats." Wow. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in relation to Sikhi.
    • Instead of a 9 inch or larger kirpan, take a smaller kirpan and put it (without gatra) inside your smaller turban and tie the turban tightly. This keeps a kirpan on your person without interfering with the massage or alarming the masseuse. I'm not talking about a trinket but rather an actual small kirpan that fits in a sheath (you'll have to search to find one). As for ahem, "problems", you could get a male masseuse. I don't know where you are, but in most places there are professional masseuses who actually know what they are doing and can really relieve your muscle pains.

Important Information

Terms of Use