Is Turban Going To Vanish With Dieing Status Of Kaur

Correct. The key is set a good environment for your kids. Sikh youth today need to feel they are acceptable in society especially when Sikhs are spread out all over the world in such small populations and some big there can be problems for them to grow up having to be in a not so good society. Sikh camps do help but its 1 week only. After that one week, whats the use if the Sikh parents don't practice Sikhi or don't care. You get what I'm saying. Your very correct on setting up a all around environment at home. Sikh at very young age should be put into Sikh studies for their own benefit in their future. Make them strong as steel because they will have to overcome tough obstacles later in life.

Now it all depends on your family. I'd say 50% of Sikh families don't care about doing paat or keeping kesh/dastaar. Now how does that affect the other 50%. In this case, Sikh girls who are brought up with a dad who just keeps dastaar and kesh but doesn't practice Sikhi and has a mom who has cut hair whats the chance of her keeping hair... 25% (I'm just estimating). The chances would be very low. Especially today Sikh girls who keep hair on social media are always listening to gandh music and posting guy models etc... You see it makes them change their look prospectively at Sikh guys. Sikh elders don't understand this. In the future there will be a very uneven ratio of girls to guys leading to more guys getting haircuts because they can't deal with getting a girl. It is actually happening right now as we speak.

No! make them accepted at home they will feel self-acceptance then and it won't matter what happens outside, I used to be bullied by boys and girls physically in gangs at junior school after having to walk alone past the gangs of skinheads that used to hang around the council estate I lived on and being jeered and sworn at even spat at . But instead of crumpling and giving in I kicked back against it all, my Perfect Guru didn't make a mistake in making me a sikh . That is the steel of Khanda inside ...

No! make them accepted at home they will feel self-acceptance then and it won't matter what happens outside, I used to be bullied by boys and girls physically in gangs at junior school after having to walk alone past the gangs of skinheads that used to hang around the council estate I lived on and being jeered and sworn at even spat at . But instead of crumpling and giving in I kicked back against it all, my Perfect Guru didn't make a mistake in making me a sikh . That is the steel of Khanda inside ...

Many Sikh guys and girls don't have the courage and bravery you do to go through the pressure and bullying these days. I respect you for sticking with yourself and being strong as steel. Its people like you who need to encourage others in our community. But many Sikh guys simply feel outcasted in society. It is a big problem but isn't talked about barely. Back on the topic, when have you ever heard a Sikh girl give good compliments to a Sikh guy for wearing a dastaar.....Rarely Never................shows how much media and everyday environment can affect one's attitude towards imagery.

Many Sikh guys and girls don't have the courage and bravery you do to go through the pressure and bullying these days. They simply feel outcasted in society. Back on the topic, when have you ever heard a Sikh girl give good compliments to a Sikh guy for wearing a dastaar.....Rarely Never................

I am female wear a dastaar and I have been known to openly admire strangers' dastaars no matter what culture , funny story I used to see a young African lady every morning on my bus to work when I was 17 man she has such a pristine dastaar my heart would lift when I would see her. Finally after a couple of months I sat next to her and got up the courage to ask her ...'hi am Jasbir I was wondering if you are also a Sikh ? she looked a bit surprised then replied 'sorry no I am African' 'that's OK I just wanted to tell you I think your turban is always beautiful and I admire it' thankfully by that time it was my stop so the crazy sikh girl could make an elegant exit by flashing her a smile and stepping out ....

I openly admire my sons' hair and dastaars, discuss different looks, techniques and encourage them to love every part of themselves as Guru's gift, they have messy days but that's OK at least they are still in there trying to improve and find their style. Even Isher has days when she'll decide to wear a dastaar for the day and that's cool ...she has to have it exactly like the ones she sees online i.e. a dumalla. It's not a push thing she's free to choose.

It is easier now to be accepted cos more people know about sikhism as it is more visible in the media and our own panthic efforts so I don't agree with that sentiment you need to be more brave now than then.

I am female wear a dastaar and I have been known to openly admire strangers' dastaars no matter what culture , funny story I used to see a young African lady every morning on my bus to work when I was 17 man she has such a pristine dastaar my heart would lift when I would see her. Finally after a couple of months I sat next to her and got up the courage to ask her ...'hi am Jasbir I was wondering if you are also a Sikh ? she looked a bit surprised then replied 'sorry no I am African' 'that's OK I just wanted to tell you I think your turban is always beautiful and I admire it' thankfully by that time it was my stop so the crazy sikh girl could make an elegant exit by flashing her a smile and stepping out ....

I openly admire my sons' hair and dastaars, discuss different looks, techniques and encourage them to love every part of themselves as Guru's gift, they have messy days but that's OK at least they are still in there trying to improve and find their style. Even Isher has days when she'll decide to wear a dastaar for the day and that's cool ...she has to have it exactly like the ones she sees online i.e. a dumalla. It's not a push thing she's free to choose.

It is easier now to be accepted cos more people know about sikhism as it is more visible in the media and our own panthic efforts so I don't agree with that sentiment you need to be more brave now than then.

I disagree Sikhism is more visible in the media and our panthic efforts so far have no made a major change. Your from UK so I'm talking America perspective.

I disagree Sikhism is more visible in the media and our panthic efforts so far have no made a major change. Your from UK so I'm talking America perspective.

Ok maybe then America is more like it was when I was younger than I thought ... But surely the Vaisakhi celebrations in the White House/Pentagon got onto national news this year? We knew about it here in the UK

What a SIKH he would be, who will change himself for a girl :)

He who don't even care about the Guruji's will, for a sake of a girl can cut his hair, I don't think he himself is worthy of being KHALSA.

I have seen many punjabi families who are so busy in Show-offs that they don't even care to make their children learn about sikhi, They themselves are so busy with MAYA that they make their children like them and then they complain about things getting wrong with the Youth.

I am not sure but my heart says that sikhi will raise to heights in coming years :) coz this religion is based on truth and practical knowledge.

Depends if Girl kehndi hai singh sajo , amrit shakia? then you would kiss that girl's feet for recognising the truth ...Guru ji is everything

You're right any Man who throws away his Sikh kaum for the temporary love/lust of a girl is lost to the world ... is janaam juhe ch haria.

Ok maybe then America is more like it was when I was younger than I thought ... But surely the Vaisakhi celebrations in the White House/Pentagon got onto national news this year? We knew about it here in the UK

Yeha, its all politics. It is good raising awareness but those people working in WH and Pentagon know what Sikhi is. There is no targeting for American public for what Sikhi is all about. We do have Sikh Coalition and SALDEF but the major perspective view on a turban is still the same as from post 9/11 era. Even the SIkh gurdwara shooting that took place in Oak Creek had a little change......

Yeha, its all politics. It is good raising awareness but those people working in WH and Pentagon know what Sikhi is. There is no targeting for American public for what Sikhi is all about. We do have Sikh Coalition and SALDEF but the major perspective view on a turban is still the same as from post 9/11 era. Even the SIkh gurdwara shooting that took place in Oak Creek had a little change......

Maybe we all need to do parchaar of what we are and why we are all the places we go, if someone asks us questions . It can be easier if we start using the pamphlets produced by 'Basics of Sikhi' team here in UK (check out their channel on youtube ) they even have translated it to French, Spanish, Brasilian Portuguese and other languages just download print off the double sided, three fold colourful leaflets. They even did one for 30th anniversary of 1984

Maybe we all need to do parchaar of what we are and why we are all the places we go, if someone asks us questions . It can be easier if we start using the pamphlets produced by 'Basics of Sikhi' team here in UK (check out their channel on youtube ) they even have translated it to French, Spanish, Brasilian Portuguese and other languages just download print off the double sided, three fold colourful leaflets. They even did one for 30th anniversary of 1984

People are amazed when they are taught Sikhi by me when talking one on one with them. They never have the chance to learn from school etc. So parchar is needed. American gurdwaras are not doing it because committees have different meaningless agendas but parchar should be #1 up there. So that's the source of that problem. Back on topic, our own girls need to get education in Sikhi because many are not interested because in their early ages they weren' t taught right and given too much freedom and are now ending up taking alcohol, drugs, and etc.... I mean if I look at UK past these years, I to myself question why aren't UK Sikhs teaching those girls who came to gurdwara but then get targeted by Muslims in clubs etc... Gurdwaras need to change PERIOD. It needs to focus on the youth and elder too and parchar should be added. Sikh youth need to change the status quo of gurdwaras. We shouldn't be scared of the elder Sikhs who are absolutely leaving a mess for the next generation. Hopefully Tera Panth Vasse can change the future for the better.