Pakistani Sikhs Break Pakistani Parliament Gates To Protest Attacks On Scriptures

Im glad to see that Sikhs in Pakistan are getting more active in Sikh affairs in that country. For too long they have been docile, and neglecting the state of crucial aspects in that country.

Make it a point to support Sikhs in Pakistan via social networking sites.

what I find disturbing is pakistan's islamic agenda of totally squashing the number of non-muslims in their country.

I read a news article a few years ago that stated peshawar had some 50,000 Sikh population now these pakistani islamist newspapers are stating sikhs number only 20-30,000 in the whole country of 190 million+ inhabitants.

So where did all that population of pakistani Sikhs go?

We need to have better communications and demographical analysis of our afghan and pakistani sikh brothers and sisters....

Time is not far before Sikhs will be rioting in indian punjab because of the oppression of the Sikh nationalist voice and agenda.

what I find disturbing is pakistan's islamic agenda of totally squashing the number of non-muslims in their country.

I read a news article a few years ago that stated peshawar had some 50,000 Sikh population now these pakistani islamist newspapers are stating sikhs number only 20-30,000 in the whole country of 190 million+ inhabitants.

So where did all that population of pakistani Sikhs go?

We need to have better communications and demographical analysis of our afghan and pakistani sikh brothers and sisters....

Time is not far before Sikhs will be rioting in indian punjab because of the oppression of the Sikh nationalist voice and agenda.

I don't think it was ever 50,000 in Peshawar alone. Maybe that is how much is the total in the whole country.

I don't think it was ever 50,000 in Peshawar alone. Maybe that is how much is the total in the whole country.

No im quite sure i read it in the tribune that their population was around 50,000 especially influxed with more Sikhs since most of the 500,000+ afghan Sikhs fled Afghanistan in early 1990s after the soviets invaded and relocated in northern tribal pasthun area's of pakistan in the old Sikh empire city of peshawar.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sikh population of Peshawar after 1947 was around 7,000 with there being about 10,000 altogether in the tribal areas.

This population swelled with the arrival of Sikhs from Afghanistan, but this was only temporary as the majority of Afghani Sikhs moved onto india.

However the Sikh population of Afghanistan was estimated to be around 50,000 before the soviets entered the country. The majority of these Sikhs lived in Kabul, although there were a sizeable Sikh population in Jalalabad, bordering Pakistan.

It is so sad to see that a once vibrant Sikh community in a place of great historical importance for Sikhs, has all but disappeared. The remaining Sikhs want to leave but through lack of finance are unable to do so.

If you have seen the documentary on Afghan Sikhs on youtube, you can see how great the connection is of that land with the Sikh community.

Things don't look like they are going to get better any time soon.

sikhs in afghanistan pre-soviet invasion days numbered 500,000 and at the moment it is thought there is around 50,000 afghan sikhs scattered all around the country.

Peshawar definitely had 50,000 Sikhs after the influxation of afghan Sikhs in 1990s so whetehr most moved on to india or rest of pakistan is not known.

From what i read. There was or still is also an indigenous tribal pathan Sikh community in SWAT area of Pakistan, tirah vally in orakkai agency. A few years ago after the rouge elements in some jihadi groups started to trouble them, some of them were forced to join Islamic self defence militant groups to fight the rogue criminal groups while other tribal Sikhs relocated in other parts of pakistan and nwfp in area what is known as pasthunistan

Sikhs were not 500, 000 in Afghanistan. thats half a million, one afghani sikh for 40 sikhs from india.

talk to afghan sikhs, and they will tell you how many lived there.

at the moment there are about 280 families left in afghanistan, in total just over 1100 Sikhs.

This threads been around a while and is getting longer with messages. The outsider looking in, would think from reading the messages, that the gist of the news story is about intolerant muslims and Sikhs struggling to assert their rights amongst them.

That, could not be further from the truth. The Sikhs in Pakistan are demanding the authorities in Pakistan take a harsh line against the Hindus in Pakistan (in Sindh province) who have been increasingly committing henious acts against Sikh scriptures.

Recap: Hindus (not muslims) have been committing disgustingly blasphemous acts against Sikh scriptures and the Sikhs stormed the Pakistani parliament to demand the authorities take action against those Hindus.