Don't Enjoy Banis...should I Follow A Different Path?

Guest Curious

To BarinderSingh - luckily I have tried to avoid 3ho as I have heard some negative things about some of their practices. My yoga in the morning is a 20 minute clip from YouTube, and I only use it as a method of waking myself up early in the morning, so I can meditate properly. I also shower lukewarm/cold to help facilitate this.

As for my actual meditation technique - I have tried to keep it very simple for this 40 day trial, so that I can experience meditation without trying to keep too many rituals or long mantras in my head. I have only sat down, closed my eyes, and repeated either the mantra 'waheguru', 'sat naam' or 'ik onkar'. I have tried to keep everything basic and practical, as so far this is my understanding of sikhi.

These practices (waking early, cold shower, basic yoga, meditation) have all been beneficial, but my big problem is not appreciating the melodies of sikhi. Perhaps I need to focus on my seva and learning punjabi, reminding myself this is good for me, and this will come. I will also try guruvah's suggestion of making a plea before the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

There is just so much emphasis places on the music, with the SGGS even being divided by musical arrangements (as far as I currently understand), so it feels discouraging not to 'click' with this aspect of faith which is considered so crucial. I won't lose hope, though!

Thank you again for everyone who has commented so far. You've all been very encouraging and it is very much appreciated.

I'm glad to here you are not following 3HO. You said something about listening to Japji Sahib in your first post? Are you listening in english or Gurmukhi (Punjabi)? I strongly encourage you to read in english, if this is the language you understand Gurbani in. Yes, the translation is not fully correct, but you will grow spiritually from reading the english translation.

Yoga (stretching) is fine to stretch the body out and get the blood flowing through the body, but there is a time and place for it. To wake your body and mind up in the morning, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji says to focus your mind on the word of Guru Sahib. Again reading Gurbani wakes the mind up and allows you to focus on meditation of Gurbani.

I don't want to put you on the spot. Do you know what the meaning of Vaheguru, Ik Onkar, and Satnaam is? I ask you, to show you when we dive deep into Gurbani the meaning of these Gurmantra become clearer. Uttering these Gurmantra without understanding leaves the person hung up on wanting more. Nothing wrong with wanting more because you want to be taught the reason behind them. So for this you need to read Gurbani. I again strongly suggest you read Gurbani in whatever language you understand the best and if you have any doubts come and ask them here. You will benefit a lot from contemplating over Gurbani in whatever language you understand it the best. Also Vaheguru, Ik Onkar, and Satnaam are not mantras. Mantras don't exist in Sikhi. What does exist in Gurbani is Gurmantra which are not the same as mantra. This mantra teaching is also strongly influenced on others by 3HO. Mantra are the sounds of the universe that will leave when the universe leaves. Gurmantra are the true teachings that hold the key to realizing Akal Purakh. The Gurmantras are not subject to time and space. The word Raam was taught by others to be a mantra. The Guru's took the word Raam and gave it the true meaning. Before it use to mean the remembrance of a God(king) name Raamchandra. The Guru's took this meaning and showed how it is false practices to worship a king (Raamchandra) who died. They said Raam means God is everywhere so repeat Raam, Raam in this way.

Dear VeerJee

Can I ask have you tried to do amritvela Simran (meditation) with together with other gursikhs. I can assure you that this expierence is amazing. Also maybe doing nitnem together may help you appreciate the beauty of gurbaani.

Everyone is at different levels and when one comes on a path you have to work at it to seek the fruits of the labour. Just like a student enrolling on a course will have to study to get good marks at the end of his/her studies. You must have good karam and its guru sahibs kirpaa that you have come across Sikhi. Meeting with other Sikhs and doing Jap Jee Sahib, Rehraas Sahib along with Morning naam will help. Let us know where you are based and hopefully someone will start doing sangat with you.

Many thanks.

Don't feel discouraged. In the spiritual path, such hurdles are normal. If you feel bored then maybe you can try to change your routine. Do more meditation on Naam Simran, and also do some meditation of Mool Mantar. Find a quiet spot in your house and try to focus your Surat on the dhuni of shabad as much as you can when you recite Naam Simran and Mool Mantar.

As for Japji Sahib, I suggest you try to memorize it, pauri by pauri. Make it a task to memorize one Pauri everyday and also study that Pauri word for word so that way when you recite Gurbani, the mann feels more absorbed into it. It's natural if your mann feels bored of something you don't understand. But if you study and have some understanding of it, even your mann will gravitate towards Gurbani.

I am a westerner who has recently become interested in sikhi. I am trying to wake early to do a bit of yoga, meditation, and I've tried listening to Japji Sahib while reading along. However, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I don't really enjoy the sounds of banis. I don't mean to offend anyone, it is just a sound unfamiliar to me, but as hard as I try, I don't properly appreciate the holiness in the sounds and language. I come from a religion with a strong mystical tradition that is in line with Sikhi at its core, and I wonder if that practice might better be suited for me. I enjoy the sounds of the prayers much more in that religion. I realize this is largely cultural bias, but I feel like after trying to immerse myself in recitation of the banis in punjabi, and still not appreciating it, that it may be better not to force it forever.

I believe the SGGS contains truth. There are no beliefs to discard, unlike if I went back to my previous religion. However, I feel it might be improper to sit in gurdwara and listen to kirtan, or to do the morning banis, without actually enjoying it. I recognize these are fundamental aspects of being an observant Sikh, so I don't want to perform them with an empty heart.

I am still on my path of 40 days straight waking early for meditation and listening/reading along of Japji Sahib. I feel completing this is necessary for me to make a proper judgement call, but I am becoming disheartened. Does anyone have any opinions on what I should do? I would love to become Khalsa someday, God willing, but if I can not recite the banis with love in my heart, I could never become Khalsa. Help!

Your probably in good company most western born punjabi Sikh youth dont understand or appreciate gurbani hymns either when they attend gurdwara. This is why there is alot of disconnection with todays Sikh youth and gurdwara attendance.

I would suggest you first take up learning punjabi classes and also listen to harmonic songs that recite gurbani and shabads that uplift you and wanting to gain more insight into gurbani

eg

Dont just read gurbani, thats like reading a recipe over n over again without actually making the food.

They are teachings. Your role as the student is to learn and apply.

Apply the teachings in your daily life, when someone tries to piss u off or life doesnt appear to go your way, dont react in anger or the other 5 theives(maya). You will find that with bandgi- good deeds and not reacting in maya- applying Truth, u will begun to vibrate at such a high frequency that no worldly happiness or pain can compare- u could be given jewels and gems and the entire world- but u wont want to give up vibrating at the Truth frequency to attach yourself to it(attachnent being 1 of the 5 theives).

And that my friend us Truth- its a frequency of a balanced gyan(knowledge) that lives to discover while remaining detached from the highs and lows of the discoveries- its all really just Nothing-its an illusion- Truth has no image no form no colour- Nothing is Truth.

I am a westerner who has recently become interested in sikhi. I am trying to wake early to do a bit of yoga, meditation, and I've tried listening to Japji Sahib while reading along. However, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I don't really enjoy the sounds of banis. I don't mean to offend anyone, it is just a sound unfamiliar to me, but as hard as I try, I don't properly appreciate the holiness in the sounds and language. I come from a religion with a strong mystical tradition that is in line with Sikhi at its core, and I wonder if that practice might better be suited for me. I enjoy the sounds of the prayers much more in that religion. I realize this is largely cultural bias, but I feel like after trying to immerse myself in recitation of the banis in punjabi, and still not appreciating it, that it may be better not to force it forever.

I believe the SGGS contains truth. There are no beliefs to discard, unlike if I went back to my previous religion. However, I feel it might be improper to sit in gurdwara and listen to kirtan, or to do the morning banis, without actually enjoying it. I recognize these are fundamental aspects of being an observant Sikh, so I don't want to perform them with an empty heart.

I am still on my path of 40 days straight waking early for meditation and listening/reading along of Japji Sahib. I feel completing this is necessary for me to make a proper judgement call, but I am becoming disheartened. Does anyone have any opinions on what I should do? I would love to become Khalsa someday, God willing, but if I can not recite the banis with love in my heart, I could never become Khalsa. Help!

Dear Curious,

it is but normal up to an extent that you do not enjoy the Banis, because you are from a different social geographical bakground.

To enjoy the Banis, one has to understand what message they(Guru Sahibans) want to convey us. And as it is well known, take any Bani, from any ANG/page, it is nothing but a tiny fraction of the infinite Glory of the Supreme Lord.

And that also, sung not by any ordinary humans, but by the ones who are the very embodiment of Wahiguru Akal Purukh, our beloved Guru Sahibans.

The beauty and the value and the sweetness of the Bani, is because, in a way, are the words of the Lord Himself.

As the Bani says:

Har jee baseh Sadh ke hirdey or Har jee baseh sadh ke rasna, this means, the Lord resides in the heart and in the speech of His beloved Sons, Lovers, our Guru Sahibans...

One thing is for sure, we may be from different countries, from diffrent cultures, but the essence of His Light in us, is the same.

The purpose of our Guru Sahibans, is to make us know Him, and understand Him, through their spoken and written Bani; and then make us go even a step further, through the base of Sikhee, which is the road, the way, to reach our goal, none other than Wahiguru/Lord, and that is the holy practice of Nam Simran.

This Nam Simran, unfolds and discloses our beloved Akal Purukh within us. The Bani at many places, refers this Supreme Being as a Conscious power or energy, which can be heard and seen, within us.

The Bani in Anand Sahib says: Nam jinke man vaseeya, vajeh Shabad ganere; or at other place it says, Anter Jot Niranter Bani, Sachay Sahib siu liv laage.

This means, once you are steady in Nam Simran, you will be able to hear within you the Divine melody, the Unstruck Melody of the Shabad or Nam.

This is the real Bani, which our Guru Sahibans, stress upon. It is this Bani, which washes our impurities, makes us pure and reunites us back with our Father Akal Purukh.

This Divine Melody, in the Bible is reffered as The Word, Logos or the Holy Ghost. This Nam or Shabad is not some exclusive property of any particular country or race, but it is kept within us for us, by our heavenly Akal Purukh.

This Bani within us, is also known as Amrit Bani or Sachee Bani also.

This inner Bani, is such wonderous, that once we contact it within ourselves, we shall be able to see the Radiant form of Light of Satpurukh, and be able to listen Him, through the holy sounds emanating from that Shabad.

In the Bible reference to this Bani is mentioned also, when it says: having eyes yee see not , having ears yee hear not.

Which means, within us there is the Light and the Shabad Sound of Wahiguru, but alas we do not open our spiritual eyes neither our spiritual ears, of our souls.

And thus we waste our precious human lives after shadows, and we miss our golden opportunity of reuniting us with Him, by freeing ourselves from the cycle of births and deaths, through the very sacred practice, devotion, of Nam Simran.

There is only one reality and truth, and that is Satnam. We also become true by leaving the perishable wordly ways// objects/ relations, and by attaching ourselves with Him.

And attaching/devoting ourselves with Him, is not done with chains or rope, as He is not something physical, but by the very rope of Nam, which He has kept us within us.

So by doing His Simran, we are telling Him, hey Wahiguru, I am ready, please pull me up towards You.

This is when the Bani says, Nanak, Nam, jahaaz hae.

Means, O Nanak, Nam is the only vehicle to take us back to our Father´s House, Sach Khand.

So you see, we do nothing, everything is done by our gracious mercifull Wahiguru, but for that, we have to give up our ego, and as a child, place ourselves in the hands of this our true Father Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

When we give up everything else, and cling on to Him alone(Nam), He just pulls us back and place us at His Lotus feet.

Sat Sree Akal

Guest Kaur01

As far as the sounding of the Bani goes, here is a technique for you that I used myself. It also helps memorization but will help you with your problem too.

Listen to Kirtan. Notice the melodious tunes and try to conduct them into Bani using your own tune if it helps. I personally learn Kirtan so it is easier but it can help anyone. Also english translation are a great help, or any other language youprefer

Hope this helped. :)

Guest Gur Mehar

Be patient. Success in your spiritual journey won't happen overnight. Why do you think its the hardest journeys of them all? Mahapurkhs have always said that the true gatka (martial arts) is played in that field where your soul is fighting the panj chor. And plus it takes countless births just to get to a point where you're born in a religion that leads you to the right path. So be patient brother. In times when i feel so disconnected, Ive learned to go visit mahraj ji and just say fateh. Not complain, ask, or want. Just to see your guru and say your fatehs for the day. Slowly, that love will build and you will find amazement in the most simplest of things.

And please don't give it a 40 day trial. I've spent more than 20 years walking on Sikhis path. It takes time, patience, and love. Thats what sikhi teaches. Let go of rituals and do things because of love for god. Appreciate the simple things and praise god for making them.

All the best.