Current Influence Of Punjabi Culture On India

Though this has nothing got to do with Sikhi, the topic at hand is an interesting one.

Of course lets begin with the usual focus on language. As of the current time period I've noticed a shift towards Punjabi in Bollywood though it is largely stereotyped. Many of the popular songs contain some sort of Punjabi beat, poems, or lyrics. And because of this many Punjabi artists have found their way into Bollywood. They may not be on the big screen or with in the spot light but nevertheless there work is certainty noticeable.

Other than the obvious influence on music I've noticed the perception of Sardars has certainly improved in comparison to the 90's and 2000's. I certainly am not happy with the change. I'm concerned where this change is going, I'm referring too the recent poster of "singh is bing" and other observations I have made. I'm of course fearful the this situation seems like is becoming a jump from one hole to another. Now my next point may seem silly but truth is in it matters. Background dancers, if you view bollywood movies or any other sort of media from previous generations "Sardar characters " were included and if they were it was for more or less comedic purposes. Now the Paghs are well tied for the most part and Sardar character has a purpose other than the but end of jokes.

Fashion; as we all known everything in this is world is just another trend. And so over the past ~2 years "suits" have had a noticeable increase in popularity not in bollywood, but also it has become more acceptable for the "INDIAN" to where suits vs saris or other things.

So lets join together and have a decision about what YOU have noticed. Where YOU think the trends will go. I look for forward to you posts :)

yeah that's so true because I know some guys who don't usually wear turbans but have started wearing them on weddings!

I think it could be due to the increase of popular Punjabi films!

I personally think that Diljit's a great promoter of the pagg :)

I've always thought salwaar suits are great and again I think the Punjabi films and actresses

yeah that's so true because I know some guys who don't usually wear turbans but have started wearing them on weddings!

I think it could be due to the increase of popular Punjabi films!

I personally think that Diljit's a great promoter of the pagg :)

I've always thought salwaar suits are great and again I think the Punjabi films and actresses

lol diljit di pagg?? for your knowledge patiala shaahi pagg is on the top all over the punjab.... bcz of Ammy virk, and ranjit bawa.... these re the two guys who have influenced the youth on the large scale... btw i do wear pochvi :p

• 3 weeks later...

I take it the above mentioned influences are still working through their transsexual identity issues with fear of their own beards.

With respect for the gift of our gurus, I don't think that aspect can simply be glossed over and this look be suggested as setting the bar.

Good start perhaps but this is still a display of fear and self hatred. Celebrating sikh courage requires elements of basic knowledge. Without that it's a celebration of one's own testosterone.

I do agree many of these singers/actors are in for them self's. Though as a consequence regardless if they keep a beard or not; them wearing a pagh is still some representation. Diljit has a big part in the influence of the current ~20 generation as we did not have a single main stream pagh wala munda role model besides him. Speaking from a typical stereotype punjabi family.