Can Any Combat Style Knife Be Carried As A Kirpan

sat

i was recently looking at kirpans and came across this and it made me think why not use a combat style knife, when this type looks similar and just bears the khanda on it, also should not the kirpan be a practical tool and well as a spiritual / Ang of ours and gift from Guru ji, would not any appropriate combat knife with a leather sheath and a khanda put on it and presented before Guru ji and an ardas offered be acceptable, please give your feelings and advice about this.

bhul chuk maf ji.

As long as it's a kirpan made out of steel it should be fine.

IMO what makes a kirpan a kirpan:

1) Your own Sikhi which dictates it as a kakaar and to defend yourself and others

2) Kirpan is a small dagger at minimum and shaped as such.

I wouldn't classify something that is "just a blade" as a kirpan though.

yeh... cops in uk can be real cocky>>>

I had one who stopped my uncle cuz it was longet than 6-8 inches or sommat he was saying.

The copper said>>>>''I know what sikhs are allowed to carry and that length is outside the requirement and guidelines...blah ..blah..blah.."

luckily.. we were just round the corner from house so went back in.

I got real vexxed though and uncle calmed me down :nono:

Sadly it has to come down to thinking about the situation. If you live in heavily sikh areas its easy to wear Siri Sahib as it should. The Police in those areas will be fully aware of the laws. Unfortunately in areas outside places like Southall, Birmingham, Leicester, Wolverhampton its probably a safer bet to be on cautious side and cover up. I know its not perfect. But Education takes time. Sadly when you see things like what media broadcast in incident in Akal Takht we have to work overtime to win hearts and minds! Wearing a combat kind of knifeis all well but how will it convey to those around us?

Try walking down the street with a commando or bowie knife see how long you last in UK or US. You have to be sensible....and besides you can get a perfectly good cutting edge on a regular Taksali kirpan. its not the blade its knowing how to use it. How many people would be ready or aware how to use it in first place.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Just be aware that if you do try to wear something that does not look like a "typical" Kirpan, the other Sikhs may also say things not to your liking as well. Something similar to a pesh kabz or khanjar type works best as that is what most are used to.

I was given the "That's not a Kirpan", "It's not made of Sarbloh" and if you are involved in any seva that puts you in front of people (especially Karah Parshad Bhog/Parvaan seva), expect less than positive feedback.

Something like the above - Khalsa Kirpans - same stereotypical Kirpan shape and Khandas should be just fine.

• 8 years later...
Guest Russell Sage

I wondered about this too. It feels like the original was practical for it’s time and so carrying something slightly different with reverence is between you, and your path. Walked sincerely, or simply worshipped superficially. The real intention probably needs no defensive stance.