Sign in to follow this  
singhbj singh

Preparations For Sarbat Khalsa Underway In Pakistan

Preparations for Sarbat Khalsa underway in Pakistan

AMRITSAR SAHIB (June 23, 2014)The Pakistan Gurdwara Committee has reportedly started to prepare for the proposed Sarbat Khalsa (largest Sikh enclave) at Sri Nanakana Sahib on the occasion of birth anniversary of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji in the month of November to resolve the row of the Nanakshahi Calendar. For this purpose, the plan has been made to constitute an elected body of Pakistans Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (PSGPC) after a gap of nearly three years.

It has been reported that the Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB) , parent body of PSGPC , has decided to hold elections of PSGPC within three weeks time under a planned strategy. An elected body of Sikhs would have more authority to call Sarbat Khalsa in Pakistan.

The PSGPC was dissolved about three years ago, and its acting body was working under the headship of Sardar Sham Singh. ETPB secretary, Azhar Sulehari, has confirmed the elections of PSGPC would be held in the near future. He mentioned that the elections should help Sikhs manage their local affairs in a better way.

In Amritsar, appointed Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht Sahib, Giani Gurbachan Singh, has announced that only the SGPC has rights to call Sarbat Khalsa.

Source - http://www.sikh24.com/2014/06/platform-begins-to-prepare-in-pakistan-to-pave-the-way-for-sarbat-khalsa/#.U6hzwMsayK0

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Even thought I respect Gian Gurbachan Singh he is being kept silent on big Sikh issues so a sarbat khalsa has to happen not in just Pakistan but over the whole world.

Edited by kharkusingh1996
  • Like 1

a sarbat khalsa has to happen not in just Pakistan but over the whole world.

I like the idea of that.

I am not sure on who can "call" the Sarbat Khalsa, but Im glad the Pakistani Sikhs are doing it. First it has irked the SGPC who dont give a fig about the Pakistani Sikhs anyway, and also because I'm glad the Pakistani Sikhs are getting more vocal and aware of their huge responsibility towards saving Sikhi or whatever little of it remains in Pakistan.

Even in todays times, Im meeting Sikhs who dont know about the pakistan connection, but hopefully this will change.

The Pakistan Sikhs need your support.

• Like 1

A Sarbat Khalsa technically means the 'entire' Khalsa so calling one for just one particular country and one particular issue may seem at odds with traditional understanding of a Sarbat Khalsa but in this day and age there is nothing stopping a Sarbat Khalsa using the technology available such as skype so that representatives of say the American Gurdwara council or UK Sikh Council as well as scholars from India who are not under the thumb of the SGPC from taking part and giving this Sarbat Khalsa a wider representation.

Any action which limits the power of the SGPC is good in my view because if the SGPC members and Jathedars are happy to act as Badal's chamchas and keep silent on or even sabotage Panthic issues then they deserve to be sidelined. When people holding positions of power in the Panth find that they are not being respected and are being sidelined that is when they start to act. Only the power of the common Sikhs as shown in the Rajoana protests which forced the Badals to fight to save Rajoana's live can make the SGPC and Jathedars act in favour of the Panth.

The recent elections in Punjab showed that millions of Panthic votes when to the AAP and these voters refused to be swayed by the appeal to vote for the Panth (Badals) and this is why the Akalis have suddenly started to make pro-Panth statements. Similarly for the SGPC along with the Sarbat Khalsa the possible creation of a Haryana Gurdwara committee will hurt the SGPC and the Jathedars. This can only be a good thing.

The Sikhs outside India need to stop running to the SGPC or Akal Takht and create local institutions which are responsive to and understand their needs.

Similarly for the SGPC along with the Sarbat Khalsa the possible creation of a Haryana Gurdwara committee will hurt the SGPC and the Jathedars. This can only be a good thing.

It can be a bad thing, if the Sikhs there are congress sikhs. they are not a better alternative to the current lot. The congress party has been the main suppport for the haryana sgpc. The congress were the main instigators in Talhan Gurdwara.

In Pakistan or the western world, yes, but you have to be careful in india, on splitting up the SGPC. The DSGPC is a prime example of the road we don't want to go down again

It can be a bad thing, if the Sikhs there are congress sikhs. they are not a better alternative to the current lot. The congress party has been the main suppport for the haryana sgpc. The congress were the main instigators in Talhan Gurdwara.

In Pakistan or the western world, yes, but you have to be careful in india, on splitting up the SGPC. The DSGPC is a prime example of the road we don't want to go down again

After breaking of the Punjab into Haryana and HImachal. The central government gave it's assurance that the same will not happen to the SGPC. Firstly, we need to understand the SGPC was created with great sacrifices. Literally hundreds of Sikhs were beaten to death during the morchas to liberate the Gurdwaras and Lakhs were put jail. Since it was created, the SGPC has been the only strong Sikh institution of the Sikhs to the annoyance of the central government. When Punjab was divided, the central government has always tried to break the SGPC into regional outfits. Look at who is the backing the separation of Haryana from SGPC? it is the central government. Breaking a house is very easy, but putting the pieces back is very difficult.

We are only thinking short term. Breaking Haryana from SGPC will be a step backward for us. That's almost like saying when ever Khalistan is made and let's say if (by misfortune) we have a corrupt Badal type politician in control, is the solution to this problem the further break up of Khalistan in order to hurt that corrupt politician? no way! solution would be to take back control! Similarly Solution is not to break SGPC but to liberate SGPC from the Badals and bring it in the hands of Panthic minded Gursikhs. Once that is achieved, the next step is to bring reforms in the structure to insure that unscrupulous corrupt politicians do not come back in control of the command structure of this institution.

Edited by Jonny101

and they should dismantle sgpc.....

Why dismantle? Why not take control of it and reform it so it serves the panth instead of self serving polititions? Its the democratic election system that needs to be dismantled which elects these corrupt polititions in the sgpc

and they should dismantle sgpc.....

who is "they"?

look at this situation realistically, the Sarbat Khalsa of 1986 dissolved the SGPC, and still the SGPC survived that. You think the Panthic vote is stroniger now than in 1986?

Think positive, of actions that can bear fruit, not just wild thinking which is of no consequence.

Until Sikhs form their own sena national army or para military armed groups they will not be able to remove the corrupt masands and their corrupt demoncratic voting system from SGPC.

If an armed sena can not be formed at present times to remove the corrupt people and anti-sikh system infected in SGPC then SGPC must be dismantled itself. Already we are seeing haryana Sikhs, rajastani sikhs, delhi Sikhs and others wanting to manage their own affairs. Because the badal family controlled SGPC is so rotten at the core now that the various Sikh groups, sects and jatha's who want a voice are not given a voice. The sarbat khalsa system is the sikh way and allows everyone to come together and have their say in important miri piri matters within the panth and kaum..

Until Sikhs form their own sena national army or para military armed groups they will not be able to remove the corrupt masands and their corrupt demoncratic voting system from SGPC.

This just seems like another wild idea, with no grasp of the situation as it stands now.

If an armed sena can not be formed at present times to remove the corrupt people and anti-sikh system infected in SGPC then SGPC must be dismantled itself.

You treat infections, not put the body to sleep. Thinjk about it.

If an armed sena can not be formed at present times to remove the corrupt people and anti-sikh system infected in SGPC then SGPC must be dismantled itself. Already we are seeing haryana Sikhs, rajastani sikhs, delhi Sikhs and others wanting to manage their own affairs. Because the badal family controlled SGPC is so rotten at the core now that the various Sikh groups, sects and jatha's who want a voice are not given a voice. The sarbat khalsa system is the sikh way and allows everyone to come together and have their say in important miri piri matters within the panth and kaum..

Look at who is backing the dismantling the SGPC. It is congress party of India. Since the start (before 1947) they did not want the Sikhs to have this institution. Now they are taking advantage of our grievances with Badal and fully supporting the breakup of SGPC. If we support Haryana separating from SGPC, this is like us indirectly also giving approval of separation of Punjabi speaking areas of Haryana from Punjab which the congress did decade ago.

Furthurmore, if Haryana is separated, what then? they will just become a smaller corrupt version of the current SGPC as the DSGMC is. Problem is the system which elects the men who run the SGPC not the institution itself. Even Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale when he was here with all his followers and could have done anything, even he did not seek to dismantle it because Sikhs have nothing to gain by such a move. While our enemies would gleefully watch with anticipation of this great Sikh institution getting dismantled as the congress is currently doing. Congress leader Bhupinder Singh Hooda fully supports separation of Haryana from SGPC. Today, it is Haryana, once that is achieved, then the GOI will seek to further dismantle SGPC into Majha Malwa and Doaba regions. With great sacrifice and struggle this Sikh organisation was created by men like Teja Singh Samundri and Kartar Singh Jabhar. Hundreds of Sikhs were beaten to death by police lathis. Do not let their sacrifices go in vain.

Even Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale when he was here with all his followers and could have done anything, even he did not seek to dismantle it because Sikhs have nothing to gain by such a move.

Personally, I don't think he was capable of dismantling it, but the AISSF did contest around 40 seats in the SGPC elections in 81 or 82. Sant Ji did not really hold the candidates of SGPC in high regard, which is why AISSF stood against the Akalis in the elections.

Even then the Congress encourgaed its Sikhs who could vote in the SGPC elections to vote for AISSF, not because they shared its ideology, but because it would weaken the Akali Dal. AISSF did manage to win 4 seats though.

Congress leader Bhupinder Singh Hooda fully supports separation of Haryana from SGPC.

So does Capt Amrinder Singh, congress leader of Panjab. The congress have tried to create mischeif whenever and wherever they could in SGPC.