Headteacher Quits City’S First Free School - Anand Primary

• 7 years later...
On 6/25/2014 at 5:10 PM, chatanga said:

Not off to a good start, but whats alarming is that its next to an area with a big catchment area in wolves, yet none of the Sikh parents are sending their kids there.

On 6/28/2014 at 10:28 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

We are a very short sighted community. We are given a gift right on the doorstep and our sangat cannot even be bothered, they will only regret it when it is too late.

I know some parents who think it won't look on the kids' CV when applying to University etc and worry that they might not be able to integrate as well into society. 

I don't know though. A lot of Jewish and Muslim children in North London do well and go to good university/courses. 

I hope there are not problems with these projects because of greed of individuals running them. There are not even many 'Sikh schools in India or Punjab. The Christian schools in Punjab seem to be a lot more popular. 

31 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

I know some parents who think it won't look on the kids' CV when applying to University etc and worry that they might not be able to integrate as well into society. 

I don't know though. A lot of Jewish and Muslim children in North London do well and go to good university/courses. 

I hope there are not problems with these projects because of greed of individuals running them. There are not even many 'Sikh schools in India or Punjab. The Christian schools in Punjab seem to be a lot more popular. 

Did you really have to bump this?

On 11/29/2021 at 8:03 PM, Premi5 said:

It's a very short sighted attitude to think it won't look good on the kids CV, when it comes to schooling (I'm a parent of 4, all of who are varying ages, the eldest is about to go to Uni) the more important thing to look at is pathways through school to secondary school to college then Uni, if you sent you kid to one of the Nishkam Trust schools (for example) then they are more likely to be accepted into one of the top flight Uni's as the trust has built relationships with them, we've had to forward plan what school's out kids go to so they get into decent colleges and Uni's, very few Sikh ethos schools in the UK have this (kids tend to scatter to different colleges after their GCSE's, there's no preferred college or Uni).

It's something you only really understand once you have kids going through the education system, 3 of my kids went to (and one is still attending) a Sikh ethos school, they don't have a secondary school for the children to go to so all the knowledge they gain their about Sikhi and how it's built into their day to day education is lost one they enter secondary school. We, as a Sikh community, politicise everything and let in-fighting rule instead of putting the kids and their education first, as much hate as Nishkam Trust get from certain quarters they are one of the few in the UK that have done it right where they have provided schooling from nursery all the way through to sixth from.

11 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Which Universities do the Nishkam Trust have links with?

Why not ensure good Sikhi education for the kids outside of school ?

I heard that mone kids in the Sikh school in Chigwell (Essex/E London) tease the kids who have joora/patka. 

They have a good relationship with Birmingham University and work with King Edwards Grammar, there are students who have gone to Cambridge and Kings.

Not sure about Guru Gobind Singh Khalsa College (I'm assuming that's the one you are talking about in Chigwell), i know they have had their up's and downs and did pretty badly in their ofstead a few years back, as far as the teasing i have no idea, i wouldn't be surprised, it used to happen at our kids school (Sikh ethos school in Leicester) until it was called out by parents and it was handled by the school.