Is There A Right Way Of Doing Naam Japna?

bdemon

Dear bdemon,

Nam Simran is done for the purpose of removing one´s filth of karmas, thus to get purified.

At the same time, it is done as a prerequisite to meet our beloved Wahiguru. Nam Simran is a means, to meet our beloved Wahiguru.

Who has not been in love? So while doing Nam Simran, our attitude should be that of a lover, who is anxious and desesperate to meet the beloved, and when he goes to meet his beloved, there are no other thoughts except those of the beloved, means he has his beloved´s picture in mind at all times, until he goes and gets her beautiful face, and when he sees her, his heart overflows with his love for her...

In a similar way, while doing Nam Simran, we must entertain no other thoughts than those of our Pyara Preetam Wahiguru Akal Purukh. We must be so desperate to meet Him, that our condition is like a fish out of water ....

At least the fish is lucky, after a few minutes out of water it gives up its last breaths, and we shameful beings, we have been since yugas away from Wahiguru, and still we are alive and entangled with "maya and sin", moreover we have forgotten Him, and have devloped attachment for His creation...

But anyhow, our Sachay Patshah, is so gracious, that He has given us His Simran, as a rope to pull Him towards us, whenever we want

Nam Simran, is the highest form of devotion, the highest religion, because by perfecting this sadhna or jugtee, we, as said above, we can merge in Him.

In summary,Nam Simran should be done with attention, with care, with faith, with humility, with utmost love , as it is the only tool we have, to become nearer ever to our beloved Wahiguru Akal Purukh .....

Wahiguru has blessed us with this tool, now it is up to us, how wisely we use it, and free ourselves forever from this creation, by merging our surtees(souls) in Him.

Jin Har japeeya se Har hoeeya.

Sat Sree Akal.

Ok then you answer him , the way you know.

If he has not said anything, why are you bothered?

It is his question and my answer was for him, not for you. So please, do answer him freely, there are no such limitations on anybody.

It seems only you know the truth here, and have the answer for everything.... from now on I think Sangat should ask to you first .

When are you going to stop with your poking, where nobody asks you anything?

It is bad manners.

If you want to be on this forum, be honest and straightforward, without all of your nonsense of the past, everybody now knows all your bad mannerisms...not that you are not capable of doing good, but you just don´t want.

So be careful this time with your behaviour.

Good luck man.

i play guitar while singing waheguru, doing this made me curious if theres like one best way to do naam japna and just thought i would post this to see how other people do their naam simran :)

Khalsa Ji,

If you find yourself filling with bliss, if you find yourself abstainsing from Kaam/krodh/lobh/moh/ahankar, then you are on the right paath.

The whole aim of Naam Simran is to break away from the five vices....

Waheguru....

I don't think there is actually any right or wrong way to naam simran !

Guru Nanak Dev ji promotes divine music.

People may ask what divine music is, Guru ji says divine music is the music which takes you away from the materialistic/bodily desires and encourages and attaches you to the Lords name!

So using your Guitar when doing simran is probably a good idea! :)

Music is very powerful and any type of music can be used in naam simran, In Jap ji sahib ji says -

ਵਾਜੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਦ ਅਨੇਕ ਅਸੰਖਾ ਕੇਤੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਵਾਵਣਹਾਰੇ ॥
Countless musical instruments of so many various kinds vibrate there for You; so many are the musicians there for You.

I just use a maala when doing simran because it helps with my concentration, weirdly or I just listen to simran on my ipod when working/cleaning/walking etc! :D

Gurfateh sangat ji...

(that includes bal-bandar Monkey as well) :biggrin2:

I couldn't help notice and remember our respected phajees post on a different thread.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/74752-naam-for-non-amrit-dharis/?p=610320

I hope he don't mind me pastin it on here to answer similar question about naam jap. :blush2:

The KEY here is to understand ''What really is naam jap ??''

and ''WHO or What does Naam Jap ?"

Naam jap can be done by anyone and any faith.

Naam jap is not done by tongue or bana, or mala.. or even breath ...?

Naam jap has No Effect until Your MIND does the jap !!

Wearing bana, having mala, fatiguing your mouth and tongue, ....etc... is not going to do anything if your MIND is jumping around in all directions.

Therefore, please understand that once your Mind starts to focus just on jap, only then will it begin to get enshrined in your heart.

And only this goes into the 'khajhana'(treasure box) of naam that you will take with you.

dufus me remembered this answer about ((Mind)) quite well.

Probably the first time that it occurred to me and awoke in me that it is the ((MIND)) that does the real jap.

So it don't matter what you chantin or doing with your mala as long as the mind is in the right place.

do-do me has to try and sit facing a picture of guru nanak ji.>>even though I wonder sometime if it idol stuff and all that blind puja>> but honest to god, i just have to keep it in front of me to stop me gorping out the window or looking around the room..

I was kinda a glad when luckysingh veer explained it in that post>> >>>cuz now I know how to explain to myself that i aint doin no manmat stuff or blind hindu puja stuff.

Maybe these two pangti's will help point you in the right direction.

Ang 322 - Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji

Those who chant the Lord`s Name with their tongues and hear it with their ears are saved, O my friend.

rasnaa uchrai har sarvanee sunai so uDhrai mitaa.

Ang 19 - Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji.

O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.

man ray sabad tarahu chit laa-ay.

thanks for the feedback everyone, another queation i have is how do u do jap with your mind, i try to focus as much as i can, for example, thinking about the gurus and all the great things they did, but sometimes its hard to focus coz u start thinking about other stuff, does being able to focus come through practice of doing naam japna for long periods of time or is there another way to have better focus.

wjkk wjkf