Is There A Right Way Of Doing Naam Japna?

bdemon

Dear bdemon,

regarding your question above in your latest post of today at 10:01 AM, if you pay attention and re-read the reply of brother Sat, you will find the reply for your question in his first line, in the words of Sachay Patshah Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj, where He says : chant the Lord´s Name with your tongue and listen it with your ears.

Means, you may start the jaap with the mouth with a low voice, and listen to its pronounciation with attention. When you progess a little bit with this practice, you may shift to do it within your mind. But the secret to success is , to listen carefully you yourself your own jap. Like a liittle boy given a toy, he holds it with both of his tiny hands, and turns it up and down, or in circle, watching it with full attention, how the shape, size and colours are.....

So has one to do in the Simran, like a small child, go through the sound of each syllable pronounced by you, and taste its savour.

Some mahapurukh has said, Simran should be done with such care love and attention, like just as one takes each diamond and puts it into the jewel box..

And at the time of Simran take away any thinking of gurus or anybody else...as this very thinking starts with one single thought, this leads to another , and so on ..... and when you become aware, you have already gone far in the world of thoughts.....

The purpose of Simran, is to become thoughtless.

There should be only one thought: Wahiguru, Wahiguru Wahiguru.....and only Wahiguru.

And when this is done willingly, in due time, you will find yourself automatically within your inner being, where the spiritual journey starts towards our goal Wahiguru, such is the power of Simran.

Sat Sree Akal

Phen jee,

it is you who have to reach Wahiguru by doing your own simran.... the ipod can never reach there, even if goes on and on, non stop everyday for x, y or z hours ... :biggrin2:

Listening it on Cd, cassette or any audio video electronic device is one thing, doing it within you, with your mind focused on it, it the real thing, which will bring you, purity, peace, bliss, and love for the Lotus Feet of Wahiguru.

May God bless you.

you know what, I'm not even joking. I was thinking that too!

Even I've noticed when I listen to it whilst working on the ipod, its just like background music although baani will always have a positive effect, its not really resulting to me being peaceful because my mind will just wonder!

I have a CD that's always playing in my room too but like you said I have to do my own simran!

I'm thinking to begin devoting my time starting from 5 minutes a day where I will just sit and do naam simran!

But pa ji, the problem is I can't think of a way in which I can keep my mind focused! Knowing me ill sit there to do simran whilst my mind will wonder and it'll just be an opportunity for me to day dream and go further away from Waheguru ji!

It's actually so depressing when I think about it :sad2:

and thank you very much for pointing it out to me and reminding my aatma that my aim is to reach parmatma not just do formality :respect:

Relax and listen to anhad naad- the ringing noise that u hear.

This is symbolic of the Truth- because even sound is an illusion. Its the primal sound.

But first- never tell a lie, not even a white lie- always Speak the truth. Dont <banned word filter activated> others, or yourself-silence ur mind- do good deeds- dont ever believe slanderers, for they just dont want u to be happier than them and have the devil working through them(may sound harsh- but its true- we live in the darkest age). Hold tight to Truth- to the teachings of Gurbani through thick and thin regardless of what society thinks- even when ur amritdhari friends are committing bad deeds and try and get u to join in. (like doing or listening to nindya).

• 1 year later...

When u chant d words of jap and ur mind makes d exact picture of wat u r chanting

, is d stage when u cn say that jap is actualy goin in ur mind or brain dis is wat we all r after n den many mre stages

Having the ipod playing in the background helped me because I understood the meaning of the bani. One whole day the ipod played shabads. I listened. I understood. I felt great bliss. The next day the same.

Then I read about the the importance we should give to simran, especially at Amrit vela. This is when it is the easiest to concentrate. of course the mind goes off course. Surprisingly mine stayed quite focused on the first day. I had read a lot on religion. I had read a book which was deeply touching. During the day - tuks keep coming into my head. I go about my work but my concentration is on the Guru and his words and I remember sakhis and stories and alot more

The first day I wake up and its night. I don't know the time. Not wanting to disturb others, I wash my face and rinse my mouth and sit down to do simran. I feel quite peaceful. During the day - tuks keep coming into my head. I go about my work but my concentration is on the Guru and his words and I remember sakhis and stories and alot more.

The second day I wake up again - this time a bit lazy... I do some simran and fall asleep. Then I get woken up with a light which bumps me to awake and do my simran. So I wake up and do it.

The third day I do a little bit of it and fall asleep again. This time my son shouts out loud that he can he can see something bad coming. So I wake up - wide awake... I do my simran and since its nearly 5.30 do some sukhmani sahib path as well.

The fourth day I am exhausted so I sleep and forget about it. The fifth day I wake up and do it. This is when I have difficulty concentrating. My mind wanders and I bring it back again. The sixth day things are better - slightly. While doing simran however I feel tuks coming into my mind which make no sense. I wonder if this is the feeling of a holy spirit coming on? Christians believe in this. My mum used to say we believe in it as well, but I am not sure.

Doing path and listening to kirtan during the day, reading katha and Gurbani will definitely help the mind remain focussed during simran.

Practice makes perfect. Not missing a day will make sure you stay on track as far as the concentration is concerned.

Moreover it is important to ask God deep down from the heart to support you in your simran or path.