Boycott Punjab 1984 Movie: Sad (Mann) Uk Unit

Boycott Punjab 1984 movie: SAD (Mann) UK unit

By SIKH SIYASAT BUREAU+

Published: June 28, 2014

Moga, Punjab (June 28, 2014): Terming the movie Punjab 1984 as government sponsored to confuse Sikhs about armed Sikh struggle, UK branch of Shiromani Akali Dal Amritsar (SAD-A) has called for boycott of the movie. Armed Sikhs are shown killing Hindus by pulling out of buses and they are also shown drinking alcohol, the UK branch of Simranjit Singh Mann led Shiromani Akali Dal Amritsar (Mann) posted on its Facebook wall.

Boycott of Diljit Dosanjhs latest movie titled Punjab 1984 has started debate on social media again as this message was relayed via social media. Punjab 1984 movie is anti Sikh armed struggle movie. Just watched the Premiere of Diljit Dosanjhs Punjab 1984, the role of Shivraj Singh Mann, played by Diljit Dosanjh, was well played. However the portrayal of the Sikh armed groups and Sikh armed struggle movement was very bad. Overall, the film showed the Sikh freedom movement in a negative way, it further posted.

As per movie reviews by various Sikh thinkers, the movie is well done presentation of a story of a mother and her son, who is picked up by the police and he then chooses to join armed Sikh struggle but the presentation part of Sikhs involved in armed struggle are shown as per propagated by Indian state.

Source - http://www.sikhsiyasat.net/2014/06/28/boycott-punjab-1984-movie-sad-mann-uk-unit/

Sigh.. I understand the movie does not portray an accurate image of the events in 1984 but a boycott is not nessarily the best solution but rather a quick solution I believe.

Why so ?

Well due to the movie much of the Punjabi/Sikh community has been talking about 1984. And this is a prime situation to use this wave to distinguish between rights and wrongs to the community.

Even on hipster websites like tumbler I have seen a couple blogs talking about the issue( young kids)

And let's not forget where we are coming from these types of movies would've been ban. Slightly twisted facts todays easier to make proper movie tomorrow.

PS typing on phone: spelling:grammar:sentences

Well I've heard the other innocent punjabi's were targeted for not wearing turbans, or not holding the same views as them. As chamkila was killed because he necessarily did not follow the ideal path of sikhi.

It wasn't just non pagg wearing people, many Sikh militants were killed because of the whims of the "Generals".

Maybe its best to watch the movie and make your own mind up. Do you really need someone else to critique a film for you?

Well I've heard the other innocent punjabi's were targeted for not wearing turbans, or not holding the same views as them. As chamkila was killed because he necessarily did not follow the ideal path of sikhi.

Says who? I have plenty of relatives who did not wear turbans during the days of militancy and they lived in Amritsar/Tarn Taran/Gurdaspur area which was the epicenter of militancy yet they were untouched. In fact, those same relatives often took their disputes to the militants to resolve. There is a lot of government sponsored propaganda against Sant Bhindranwale and the subsequent Jhujharu Singhs that one should be wary of.

And Chamkila's murder is wrongly blamed on the Singhs. Back then any murder that occurred was conveniently blamed on the militants, usually on a Singh who had already become Shaheed so he could not defend himself against the accusation.

Not all the kharku singhs were of high moral character,some of them were corrupt as well and looked at others sisters and daughters with bad eyes.

They often forced themselves upon others to feed them. And then those houses were tortured by police because they fed the kharku singhs.

Some villagers/teenagers took up arms because they wanted to settle their land disputes.

One of my relatives near amritsar/pak border had such an encounter with kharku singhs. They had a firefight with the kharku singhs . They were terrified of police as wel as the kharkus.They even had to face the wrath of punjab police because they had contact with kharkus. eventually they were able to settle their dispute by selling their land and moving away from that place. Life was not easy for villagers, they were terrified from both parties.

I am not trying to paint a negative picture of Kharkus, but showing one of the colors in the spectrum. I am not sure how many kharkus were there who were of right chracter.

I dont think all of them were followers of Sant Jarnail Singh ji.

I am a fan of Kharkus who were of high moral and spiritual character ,like jugraj singh and many others. But eventually the movement was hijacked by either Govt agents or people who wanted to use guns for their selfish interests.