Did Guru Nanak Dev Ji Really Move The Kaaba?

bdemon

The Ottoman Empire ruled by the law of Hanafi were responsible for the cities of Mecca and Medina and the empire lasted from 1229-1923. In an article of mughal-ottoman relations during the reign of Akbar an interesting note on Hajj in an early document by an imperial ottoman firman stated that:

'No Muslims and believers in the unity of God should be hindered in any way if he wishes to visit the Holy Cities and circumambulate the luminous Ka'ba.'

Mecca: a city in saudi.

Kaaba: the black box.

Masjid al-haram: the holy mosque with in which the Kaaba is located.

Bhai Gurdas jis vaar and writings by other authors speak of Mecca moving. Not the mosque or the black box itself.

In terms of Gurbani, mecca haji and kaaba are defined in terms of spirituality.

Mecca is the mind, kaaba is the heart and haji is someone who goes from being manmukh to gurmukh.

Guru Nanak jis sandles were kept inside the mosque by Qazi Ruknud-din who wanted a memento of Guruji. A long while after Gurujis visit, the qazi wanted to meet Guruji again and so took the sandles with him on his long journey to india so that on meeting Guruji, Guruji would instantly remember the qazi from the sandles. Guruji however had moved on and so they never met again. There were then kept at his shrine in Uch, Bahawalpur Pakistan.

As a father of 2 young boys, each trying to find his way to truth (waheguru) by asking many questions and seking even more answers, this question reminds me of my own struggles growing up.

I would have what we termed 'reasoning' sessions with Jamaican and Muslim friends. Anyone that has followed my long journey on sikhsangat knows that I can hold my own when it comes to politics but am hopelessly inadequate when it comes to what really matters in terms of faith : Spiritual.

But 'spiritual' is where they caught me out and I fear they will thnk they can catch my kids out.

"Why"....they would ask....."why", when I explained to them that should they should not sit in the Gurdwara with their feet towrds SGGS ji, "why then was it wonderful and spiritual for our 'leader' and 'founder' to sit with his feet towards their most holiest of holiest ?". "Did sikhism espouse that other relgions were only worthy of disrespect whilst only Sikhism was worthy of respect ?", they would ask.

I never knew what to say. I knew how I showed respect to my Guru as my 'teacher' in life by not pointing my feet towards 'Him' but how do I justify my Guru Ji pointing his feet towards the thing he holds equally as dear ?

They always said they love Sikhs so much but there are just so so many holes in Sikhism its so easy to win the reasoning session. I was always too good and nice to mention the flaws of charater in their founder(S).

Environmentalism became fashionable. In my reasoning sessions I started to mention how Sri Guru Har Rai was 500 years ahead of today's environmentalists, i.e the world's foremost environmentalist. " He created a unique sactuary", I would say, for every living organism that God created. At Kiratpur sahib, he created a 'green' utopia that today's 'greens' can only dream about. ". He gave sanctuary and love to every animal no matter how sick. Even the Mughal Emporer", I would say, "came to Guru Ji for some herbal remedy to save his dying son. Guru ji gave him the medicine , an it saved the boy.

"But then how"....my non-Sikh reasoning mates would ask. " If it is so that your 7th guru was the world's first and most supreme animal lover, how is it that your following gurus saw it fit to go hunting ?"

With questions such as those posed in this thread, I often wonder if my sons will be any better than I in offering a retort.

WLS Ji,

You do not have to justify the actions of our Guru. Guru is 'a-bhull' - He makes no mistake, ever.

What do your friends say about those who dumped dead animals in the sarovar of Amritsar? What about their 'Pursh' who instructed that all non-believers can be killed with impunity and their wives and daughters can be made into slaves. It is written within their scriptures, they cannot deny it.

It was not a matter of disrespect. I was a matter of shocking those who were so full of themselves and regarded themselves as the only chosen ones. They were taught that God is in all directions, in all places, you do not have to point to one direction to pray. That God is in all direction but more importantly God is in all people, be they believers or so called non-believers. Why would Guru Ji disrespect a faith which His follower had been born in? Guru Ji respected all holy spiritual people be they hindu or muslim. Guru Ji stayed in mecca for nearly two years showing the people that arrived there the true path of God. If you want disrespect then look at those who shaheed Guru Arjan dev Ji and Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib Ji. Was it not disrespect to faith when two innocent souls were bricked up alive?

Guru Ji's came here to show us the path of truth and to liberate those who had done wrong in the past. Which is why we all of us are here BTW, we all have wronged in the past and how glorious our Guru who would end my life and liberate me from this circle of death and life. Those hunts that Guru Gobind Singh Ji made were not just because they liked hunting, it was not a hobby. We see Guru Ji with our low intellect, Guru Ji was beyond this. Guru Ji liberated as they went about their daily life. Those fortunate souls were liberated by Guru Ji.

WLS Ji, when these things were said to you they were slaps across your face, yet you were too 'good and nice' to retort back? why did you not bite back? why did you not show the holes in their faith?

there are no holes in Sikhi, only holes in our faith and understanding. Never waiver from your Guru, He is true and He is the Truth, no one else is. No person who ever walked on this earth is even worthy of the dust of the feet of Guru Ji.

Did you know that Mohammad Sahib had peshi when he returned to Akaal Purkh? "why did you change the human form that I had created?" Akaal Purkh asked "was the form that I created not good enough for you?" " I created man the way I wanted, yet you chopped of parts of his body, you shaved off his hair, you slaughter the animals in My name, you mutilated females, you enslaved my people and caused untold misery? Is this the actions of a pukumber?"

WLS

In Sikhi, Waheguru is the centre of everything, everything goes come from the Akaal, is part of the Akaal and goes back to the Akaal.

The how's and the why's are immaterial and the proofs is nothing more than ego.

In regards to how our Guru can hunt and be an environmentalist at the same time, it is all part of the balance of the universe. In my view, being a Sikh is living in balance, whether we are talking about miri-piri or being a sant-sipahi.

Only the Akaal can make two seemingly contradictory things happen at the same time, but once you connect to Waheguru it makes perfect sense.

Scientists change the

Scientists change their minds and views and theories all the time, the only thing that is constant is Waheguru

I think the moving bit was written literally, janamsakhis were written in poetically. while yes guru nanak did visit mecca. what I don't understand is though why are we told not to point our feet towards the guru granth sahib, when guru nanak said it doesn't matter what his feet face because god is everywhere!!!