Was Maharaja Ranjit Singh Amritdhari?

so was just wondering was he an amridhari? because of his living and lifestyle he doesn't seem to sound like one. he had 26 wives most were hindus, 2 were muslims, he had 100s of dancing girls in his harem and also drank a lot of home made alcohol, in fact it was the alcohol that led to a stroke. he also was proclaimed maharaja with the bagawad gita as witness. he also donated a lot to hindu temples aswell, which I think is anti- gurmat?

so I was wondering how did he end up becoming the maharaja of the Sikh empire? I herd the akhalis and nihangs never really warmed up to him

and his funeral as well, some of his wives became sati's even his muslim wife gul begum. how was this allowed to happen? his wives actually chose to do sati and were even asked twice. why didn't the akal takht people try to stop this?

but have to say under his raj the arts of punjab really developed. its a shame that most Sikhs are unaware of their artistic heritage

thanks

post-43366-0-75692100-1404847309_thumb.j

a Sikh era painting depicting his funeral

No he was not amritdhari. He was a Sikh warrior who rose to become maharaja in those turbulent times. He was a strategist and had friends from different states and religions. His army comprised of akalis, Muslims, Hindus, and few goraas who were loyal to him. He loved wine, women and hunting. He was the biggest enemy of British empire till he was sick and then finally died. British walked on a red carpet to Lahore after his death which was not possible when he was alive.

He was a real battle hardened lion and there are are several folklore about him.

so was just wondering was he an amridhari?

It was the tradition of those days to give SIkhs the Pahul in their younger years. No-one was allowed to join the Sukkerchakiya Misl without taking Pahul in Sardar Budh Singhs or Sardar Naudh Singhs times.

Maharaja Ranjit Singh also had a severe attack of smallpox in his youth, which IMO would have made his parents definitely have him administered Pahul.

because of his living and lifestyle he doesn't seem to sound like one. he had 26 wives most were hindus, 2 were muslims, he had 100s of dancing girls in his harem and also drank a lot of home made alcohol, in fact it was the alcohol that led to a stroke.

Having more than one wife is not anti-gurmat, but the lifestyle you describe was more in fitting with the nobility of that era. The overwhelming people who rose to such heights succumbed to such living, sikhs, hindus and muslims alike.

he also was proclaimed maharaja with the bagawad gita as witness. he also donated a lot to hindu temples aswell, which I think is anti- gurmat?

the bhagwat gita I don't know, but Maharaja Ranjit Singhs oaths were made on Guru Granth Sahib. plus if our Guru gave his life to save the hindu religion and people, whats a little bit of gold here and there to decorate their temples?

and his funeral as well, some of his wives became sati's even his muslim wife gul begum. how was this allowed to happen? his wives actually chose to do sati and were even asked twice.

Maharaja's most able wives were forced to become satis by Dhian Singh Dogra. Fearing the consequences of that, they resigned themselves to fate.

No he was not amritdhari.

Give us more info please.

Yes he was amritdhari. In those times all men received Pahul at an early age - usually prior to puberty. His lifestyle was not unusual for those times and conforming to the Rahet was not expected in those times. The concept and expectations of one taking Pahul nowadays is very different and for the better. Prior to the Singh Sabha movement women hardly ever took Pahul.

Yes he was amritdhari , else no sikh Misle or generals would have supported him , even he presented himself before Jathedar Baba Foola singh Ji for tankhah . But again he was amritdhari like our leaders of present day ,who remainn devour sikh in appearance only for political prudence , not by heart. i cannot say more on this

We live in typical punjabi famalies that are detached from the original Khalsa practices.

Sikhs in puratan times use to take their child to Amrit Sanchar at the earliest opportunity after birth. As the child grew he was trained by parent to keep 5 kakkar and do nitnem. This is how one got Sikhi from birth in a Sikh household. The child was also named in the Amrit Sinchar by 5 piare.

This practice has died out the panth.....tho some few do practice it.

Its highly likely he got amrit from his childhood itself. As many others did....