As everyone reads Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and believe that it is true.

Here is a line from a shabad of GURU GRANTH SAHIB

" ਬਾਦੁ ਬਿਬਾਦੁ ਕਾਹੂ ਸਿਉ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥

ਰਸਨਾ ਰਾਮ ਰਸਾਇਨੁ ਪੀਜੈ ॥੨॥"

so why do we discuss a lot rather than meditating? Your views.

My view is meditation is most emphasized in Guru Granth Sahib ji.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

In my opinion I have nothing against discussion, but issue of discussion are that they continuing going repeating the same talks again and again in which you lose precious time on discussion rather than fulfilling on the real purpose which is the SIMRAN OF AKAAL PURAKH NAAM VAHEGURU.

Look around on this and any other forum and see how people discuss and also see how it is embedded in MAYA. Discussion has its good but mostly it consists on Ego. Anger, Greed, Hypocrisy, Lie and much much more.

I think its important to discuss certain aspects which one feels they need clarification on so then, one can have a much better understanding, and clear any doubt we have.

AND clearing one's doubts or helping them to understand something, wouldn't that be an accomplishment in itself as your helping them to become closer to God?

Also, shouldn't one's belief in God make them a compassionate person towards another who is wanting to discuss things? In terms of compassionate, I mean just because YOU (generally speaking, not you in particular), but basically a knowledgeable person of religion that understands, they shouldn't think of someone else who is questioning, or discussing aspects in religion, as being too attached to this world.

Because, if you know someone is asking you questions about religious topics, doesn't this mean they have a sincere desire to find out more about God? IF that is the case, then wouldn't it be one's duty to help them and clarify the matter, rather than saying they are too consumed in this world?

It's kind of contradictory because on the one hand if they are discussing about religion they are wanting to know more about God, but then on the other hand, if they are discussing about religion, it means they are 'embedded in Maya'? And if they are too consumed in 'maya' by asking to have discussions, doesn't discussing with them help them find the same level of belief that YOU hold about God, too?

Do you understand what I'm saying?

I think its important to discuss certain aspects which one feels they need clarification on so then, one can have a much better understanding, and clear any doubt we have.

AND clearing one's doubts or helping them to understand something, wouldn't that be an accomplishment in itself as your helping them to become closer to God?

Also, shouldn't one's belief in God make them a compassionate person towards another who is wanting to discuss things? In terms of compassionate, I mean just because YOU (generally speaking, not you in particular), but basically a knowledgeable person of religion that understands, they shouldn't think of someone else who is questioning, or discussing aspects in religion, as being too attached to this world.

Because, if you know someone is asking you questions about religious topics, doesn't this mean they have a sincere desire to find out more about God? IF that is the case, then wouldn't it be one's duty to help them and clarify the matter, rather than saying they are too consumed in this world?

It's kind of contradictory because on the one hand if they are discussing about religion they are wanting to know more about God, but then on the other hand, if they are discussing about religion, it means they are 'embedded in Maya'? And if they are too consumed in 'maya' by asking to have discussions, doesn't discussing with them help them find the same level of belief that YOU hold about God, too?

Do you understand what I'm saying?

I understand what you are saying...You are talking about SATSANG not discussions. And yes satsangs are very important but we should know what is satsang.

SATSANG is NOT->

1. Blaming each other for variety of religious beliefs.

2.Saying my religion is best.

3.Talking about revenge.

4.Talking about sikh related movies like 84.

.....so on.

SATSANG is (from my point of view) ->

REMEBERING GOD(WAHEGURU) only waheguru nothing else.

As guru ji said -

ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਕੈਸੀ ਜਾਣੀਐ ॥

How is the Society of the Saints to be known?

ਜਿਥੈ ਏਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਣੀਐ ॥

There, the Name of the One Lord is chanted.

I understand what you are saying...You are talking about SATSANG not discussions. And yes satsangs are very important but we should know what is satsang.

SATSANG is NOT->

1. Blaming each other for variety of religious beliefs.

2.Saying my religion is best.

3.Talking about revenge.

4.Talking about sikh related movies like 84.

.....so on.

SATSANG is (from my point of view) ->

REMEBERING GOD(WAHEGURU) only waheguru nothing else.

As guru ji said -

ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਕੈਸੀ ਜਾਣੀਐ ॥

How is the Society of the Saints to be known?

ਜਿਥੈ ਏਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਣੀਐ ॥

There, the Name of the One Lord is chanted.

OK, so what do you mean exactly by asking the question: why do we discuss a lot rather than meditating? I wasn't actually referring to satsang at all because I thought you are asking about having intellectual discussions. You are addressing one aspect of a discussion by saying that satsang is not this and not that... but on the other side, satsang is also about exchanging ideas by discussing about a particular topic. So, to be clear, in terms of discussing, what kind of discussions are you referring to?

I assumed you are referring to discussing religious topics with people who are wanting to know more.. from my knowledge, the word 'sat' means truth and 'sang' means to be in a deep connection with God. And, the way of practicing satsang is by being in the company of other devotees of God, reading spiritual books, visiting the Gurdwara, and so on. Satsang is a gathering of where believers of God come to together and in doing so, one can learn more about God and become closer to God.

I don't know the exact verses but it says somewhere in the guru granth sahib that we should be associated with those that believe in God, hence, why Nanak Dev ji, was always discussing religion with Hindus and Muslims in that time. Because they believed in God. Also, I'm not sure why you mentioned about what a satsang should NOT be, because the points you mentioned defeats the entire purpose of what a satsang should be.

By saying, 'my religion is best' and 'blaming each other for different beliefs' is not what any religion in this world is about in the first place. Someone who says that, is just being arrogant, and every single religious scripture forbids someone to be arrogant. Because if someone does all those things that you mentioned about what a satsang is NOT, then it means they reject the belief in God altogether. Plus, by saying that 'my religion is best' are said by those that don't truly know what their religion is saying. The ones that actually do know, would never say that at all. Because they truly practice the correct way.

Secondly, 'talking about revenge' again this is what non- practicing people say because religion actually teaches to forgive and forget, to keep maintaining good behaviour to win over the bad and controlling our anger and so on. Also, someone that 'blames another for different religious beliefs' is someone who is not in full understanding. So, this is where discussing comes in. One should explain to that person why we shouldn't blame or insult another religion, and in doing so, you are helping them form a better understanding and gaining closer relationship with God.

Your question can be interpreted two ways, either you are referring to why we should have discussions among believers of God, or either you asking why we should have discussions with non- believers in God, so you should be more specific. Because either way, one that is having discussions among devotees, or either among one that is not practicing any religion is, the discussing to find out more and you as the believing person in God would be helping them achieve that same relationship you share with God.

AND if you are feeling so grateful, and blessed of being a Sikh and having a peaceful connection with God, wouldn't you want to discuss that with another person, IF they are asking about it, whether or not, they are believing in God, or not? But isn't it a sign that they are supposed to ask you, and if didn't discuss it with them, or avoided the topic altogether, but just simply said 'meditate on God's name', then isn't that like being ignorant?

How can one meditate on God's name without truly knowing or loving what has created us? Shouldn't we have an understanding of what we are meditating on? This is where discussion comes in, and satsang is among people that belief in God, and those that make a statement but doesn't give a chance for discussion, like you said if someone says 'my religion is best' and that's it, end of discussion. Someone who would really question it is someone that is learning and understanding, and 'Sikh' means a student, and a student always questions and asks to find out more.

How can one meditate on God's name without truly knowing or loving what has created us? Shouldn't we have an understanding of what we are meditating on? This is where discussion comes in, and satsang is among people that belief in God, and those that make a statement but doesn't give a chance for discussion, like you said if someone says 'my religion is best' and that's it, end of discussion. Someone who would really question it is someone that is learning and understanding, and 'Sikh' means a student, and a student always questions and asks to find out more.

You are saying everything right , I agree with you views khalsa ji. But you know what we are doing right now? We are debating haha! And you are questioning me. I am not saying anything. I just put the verses from Guru Granth Sahib ji. I am not saying anything from my mind. I am referring to the supreme GURUJI. And They say-

ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਬੋਲੈ ਸਭੁ ਵੇਕਾਰੁ ॥

That means- Speaking anything other than Naam is waste.

You know I am also wrong somewhere because we are not obeying our GURU's command written above. Thats why I am manmukh.