Sangat Tv Appeal

skaur8888

In an ideal world all 3 channels should network together and use their resources to spread the same one message of Sikhi, BUT too often I see them trying to out do each other to the extent of each sending a team to broadcast Live at the same location waisting money and valuable air time. There is one channel since it has launched is just collecting charity money for this that and the other in India once I've given money why would I watch day after day how much other people have donated? I also agree you see the same, doesn't matter about age, stale viewed men who would be waffling the same boring speech sitting on a park bench to the pigeons. If you want people to watch and support they need to engage with the viewer and not pompously push views endlessly droning on. If they can't work together fine but then they should not stab each other in the back as the sangat will not care if you stay or go.

Why is there so muvh competition and hatred between the channels, and the waste of money? At the recent hayes samagam on both channels you could view the same. The problem with punjabis is they jump on the bandwagon really fast. Sangat created their own channel because of sikh channel and then along came akaal channel. Non of them have lived up to there promises

I hope sangst tv shuts down. I wouldn't give em a penny

Drummer ji, I don't see it as "strange" - having a TV channel focusing on Sikhi is one of the most powerful ways to spread the message of our gurus and reach people better than watching mindless soaps and the rubbish on mainstream channels. having more than one channel gives more choice to people, after all could we manage with just one gurdwara?

WJKK WJKF

I commend any seva towards the panth, however I will not financially support a channel which airs shows based on caste, such as the sangat matrimonial show. This is anti sikh, anti gurmat and ridiculous having ritdhari presenters reading caste based marriage requests such as "Amritdhari Jatt ", lol.

Hope you see my point sis?

WJKK WJKF

Is it really necessary to have three different sikh channels?

Having 3 channels gives more options and wider choice. Remember that not all Sikhs like the same thing. You will find Sikhs who prefer Kirtan over katha, Dhadi waran over discussions, News bulletins over kabaddi etc. So if you have only 1 channel, there is a great possibility that many may not want to watch what is on, and that means they are not watching anything SIkh-related.

So if there are 3 channels, you may not see anything you like on one, but have the option of seeing something you do, on another.

Although I totally agree having another channel is a powerful way of getting the message across, I have to say 99.99999% of times I tune into Sikh Channel, Sangat TV and Akaal Channel all I see is old men talking, cheap adverts for just stupid things or kabbadi.

Frustrates me every time. Not the best way at all to promote Sikhi.

You could have 24 hour kirtan and people would say the same thing. There are many different ways to promote Sikhi. Keep your mind open. Remember that these business that sell "stupid things" give part of that income to promote Sikhi, whatever little you may feel it is, all over Europe. Maybe, or hopefully even, you will have stopped watching the channels, because 99.9999999% is a hell of a lot.

In an ideal world all 3 channels should network together and use their resources to spread the same one message of Sikhi,

An excellent point. Duplication of resouces or programs is wasteful. Why show discussions or kirtan at the same time on different channels? Also with outside news gathering, teams from different channels could team up to save costs. But there is a dangerous side to this competitiveness amongst the channels.

I commend any seva towards the panth, however I will not financially support a channel which airs shows based on caste, such as the sangat matrimonial show. This is anti sikh, anti gurmat and ridiculous having ritdhari presenters reading caste based marriage requests such as "Amritdhari Jatt ", lol.

I understand this. I wish to widen the scope of this action by asking members here, "Why put money in gohlaks of Gurdwaras where it is wasted/misused,used ineffectivley?"

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Good point

I wish to widen the scope of this action by asking members here, "Why put money in gohlaks of Gurdwaras where it is wasted/misused,used ineffectivley?"

Good question.

Whether its television channels or gurdwaras, where is the value with Sangats donations? who is accountable? Would it be better to feed 100,000 starving people than fund expensive tv channels? or lift 5-10,000 people out of poverty/ starvation for good? or donate to SOPW, Pingalwara or Basics of Sikhi/ Sikh2inspire (which we think would provide more value).

We (and many others we know) don't tune into Sikh channels to watch anti-Sikh/ anti-gurmat/ cultural shows. There are plenty of non-Sikh channels that fulfill our manmukh requirements.

However, 3 channels do mean we can switch from a non-Sikh to Sikh related program with ease.

You could have 24 hour kirtan...

Great idea, its available here - http://www.discoversikhism.com/sikh_media/amrit_bani_tv.html

There was no TV during baba nanaks time but he spread Sikhism without any technical issues.

You don't need TV in the era of internet where right from today's hukamnama to latest Kirtan CDs or DVDs can be accessed via Internet/ recorded and watch on the big screen.

It's easy to give your money to someone else and think you are doing sewa. But that's not sewa. It's a mirage. It's called sewa when you yourself do it. It's good to donate to charities but I don't trust any of them. At some point you would see your money bring misused or financial irregularities.

It's better to save in a piggy bank at home. Collect good amount and when you are happy with your collection go to India or a place of your choice. Find kids or people who need medicine, books, clothes and buy them. This obviously needs time but you don't have to go too far to find someone who needs help. YOU will find eternal peace. No match.

I do it and my friends collect as a group. Find kids and pay their entire school years fee, buy them books. They also give prizes to those who were really good in Sikhi values or study.

I would suggest stop paying to these channels or charities. Don't bring anyone between you and your sewa otherwise it's not worth it.

Dont think we should donate to so called "sikh" channels that are there to make a profit than serve the community.

What have they offered the community so far? Nothing much just some news events that are relevant and some good discussion programs but what about parchar in english?

How about investing in youths and in sahajdhari's coming into Sikh? No steps been taken and when donations are required they make the same old lame excuse and come begging to the sangat in embarrassing appeals

What kind of business model are these guys running? absolute disgrace and amateur clowns.

There was no TV during baba nanaks time but he spread Sikhism without any technical issues.

No, but it took Baba Nanak decades going on his udasis to preach. One tv channel can reach a potential million sikhs in UK and Europe instantly. Think about which is more effective in todays time.

What have they offered the community so far? Nothing much just some news events that are relevant and some good discussion programs but what about parchar in english?

Akaal Channel has Bhai Sukha Singh on regularly and another Singh who are very very good parchariks in both english and panjabi. We need more of these.

What kind of business model are these guys running? absolute disgrace and amateur clowns.

Gurdwaras are run as business in the UK, so we should reconsider funding those as well.

WJKK WJKF

I'm not against sikh TV channels, I think sikhi parchar should be on a mass scale, reaching people like our elders who can't get to the gurdwara , reaching the youth who won't go to the gurdwara and reaching people who are already into sikhi.

It's a select few, some presenters what make mistakes and may in some way taint the hard work done, however I feel the sikh Chanel overall has done more good, than bad.

But, id prefer if all three channels merged into one and stuck to sikhi parchar. I don't see the point of three channels airing the shri rehras sahib ji da paath at the same time?

WJKK WJKF