Girls Views On Guys With Turbans

VeerSingh87

This has sparked quite an interesting debate - I find it sad if cases where a Singh decides to cut his Kes and remove his Dastar just to get married and fit the 'ideal' of what girls are looking for. I personally do not have an issue with a Dastar and untrimmed beard but that's because I've been brought up in Sikhi and understand the importance of maintaining such things. I think in some cases where girls wish for a clean-shaven look is when they perhaps haven't been brought up around Sikhi and therefore don't have it as a preference in terms of looking for a partner. Equally I'm not passing judgements (each to their own) but I've seen cases where Amritdhari Singhs or Singh's with uncut Kes and beard are married to girls who cut their hair and don't particularly follow Sikhi so I definitely think it happens both ways. I am saddened that the whole Hollywood / Bollywood falling in love has taken over the idea of what marriage is as opposed to finding a spiritual partner to help you become at one with God.

I guess where to look is to for you to consider what you really want from marriage and what you're looking for if it's just for dating maybe it's more harder to find someone but if it's for the long run and it is a life partner you want maybe as suggested use Gursikhi matrimonial sites or approach any Gurudwara that might have matrimonial services. But I don't think you should compromise your faith we're lucky to be born into Sikhi so it's a shame if people want to forget that for the sake of marriage.

So then it possibly comes down to what is the priority of the girl/boy. If its Sikhi, then they will be very straightforward in who/what they want. If its the Bollywood/Hollywood sort of lifestyle they want to live, then they can choose anyone.

I think many (if not all) of us Amritdhari Singhs have actually received more attention, respect and acceptance from non-Sikh , non-Punjabi and non-Indian Bibis during our youth. So its not about your appearance, its your confidence in yourself and your beliefs that makes you attractive!

A few years ago I knew this one Singh who was into having girl friends. He had a Christian Indian girl friend from Goa at the same time he also had a Hindu Punjabi girl friend. Later he left them for a Pak Punjabi girl friend. All three were very sincere and even wanted to marry him. But he was just fooling around with them. Although his father was a mona but he had a very Gursikh type attitude, for example he did not like his son doing this to the girls and wanted his son to be a Rehitvaan Gursikh.

It seems it is only Punjabi Sikh girls who have this strange thing about Sikh appearance. Within India too, I have noticed that Sikh men who have settled in other states like in Bengal or in South India have married local women.

This is my first post

Sixer on the first ball! :respect:

Very good points, yes some guys can be somewhat hypocrites when the tables are turned, i.e. when they are put in a position to respond to a Bibi who may have excessive facial hair. There is a saying "ਹਰ ਸਰਦਾਰ ਨੂ ਕੁੜੀ ਤਾਂ ਮਿਲ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਪਰ ਹਰ ਕੁੜੀ ਨੂ ਸਰਦਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਮਿਲਦਾ", which clarifies the fact that it is probably harder for Bibiyaan to find a Singh who would accept them for the way they look.

But there are enough Singhs out there who wouldn't care about appearance, and would actually decide based upon the Bibi's jeevan.

It really depends on why your going out, my recommendation would be: if this is just for you having fun, it's not the right ideal. Dating to find a real life partner would be more acceptable.

It really depends on why your going out, my recommendation would be: if this is just for you having fun, it's not the right ideal. Dating to find a real life partner would be more acceptable.

Can't Find a Punjabi Girls there other girls who will respect you better. They will convert into Sikhism even better as your are.

Why does everyone always assume the Non-Sikh will convert? It's not even a healthy idea to share to the kids, also are the converting so they can lust you or because they truly love the Guru? A few generations ago, the same happened to my physical ancestors: they mostly converting to Sikhi out of some false idea of romance( this was before the partition so romance hadn't yet been popular). If they truly believe Sikhi is the better religion than by all means go ahead and join it, but Guru Sahib knows whether its just a show or if it is sincere. More to focus on the showing off part, some people previously took amrit just so they could join the Misls: not because they love Guru Sahib or because they felt the spiritual need for. Personally, I'd say the more Sikhs the better, but are the Gur-Ka Sikhs or Man-Ka Sikhs. They could still have a secular wedding, (which I believe is better than an Andaj Karaj with 2 people who pretend to be Sikhs, but don't follow any of the Gurus teachings), its still considered a marriage in my eyes.