Hypothetical Question Regarding A Adoption

If you adopted a non-Sikh child from foster care, would you make him or her a Sikh?

What you are suggesting will make you child's guardian rather than a parent.

It is better to adopt a newborn rather than a kid.

That way there are no memories !

My cousin was adopted at birth, she is actually her bhua's child.

Her bhua had two daughters & agreed to give the child to her brother if it was a girl.

They did all the paper work.

She is now happily married & doesn't know that she was adopted.

Yes teach them about Sikhi. It was that child's good karams that he was blessed by being adopted by a Sikh. If you really love that child like your own child then you would give him/her the gift of Sikhi. Nothing in this entire universe is greater than the spiritual path of Guru Sahib. What sense will it be to deny that child this spiritual gift that can literally liberate him/her from Charasee lakh joons

would you let the child cut his hair if he or she wanted to?

Whether you 'let' is not a question, once a child is an adult they can do what they want but as a child you have an option whether to take them to the Barbar shop. So as a child not cut child's hair, but guide them that there is not need to fit into society's norms.

Being born to a doctor doesn't make you a doctor similarly being born into a Sikh family doesn't make you a Sikh, so I don't really think it matters what religion you originally are from

ANYONE can become a Sikh as Guru Gobind singh ji says I don't love a Sikh for being born into a Sikh family I love my Sikh for keeping the rehat!

So if you adopt this child, you should treat it as if it is your real child and bring him/her up as a good Sikh !

It'll probably be good on your behalf as well because you'll be helping the child out and creating a brighter and better future for this child!

Btw, its so cool that your thinking about adopting because everyone knows how most Indians can be melodramatic "haye haye pata ni kehda neyana chuk leanda" haha, so a lot of respect going out your way!

When I was a kid I always wanted to adopt,simply because I just found it amazing how someone can just connect and unconditionally love someone that they didn't even know 5 minutes ago... :)

Bhul chuk maaf ji and hope all goes well!

Raising kids in Sikhi is a must. If you want to let the kids choose then apply the same rule in all other matters such as school, education, clothes etc. And see how moral and ethical the child turns out to be. Why keep a double standard and keep religion as optional? Sikhi is the best wealth so share it and make kid's life better.