If Sikhs Are Vegetarian Because We Respect Life, Then Should We Also Be Vegan?

Moogle1542

to take this point even further it could be said that all food should be ethically sourced and produced. so food produced by slave or low paid workers should be avoided. food which has resulted in animals habitats being destroyed should be avoided. food which has travelled thousands of miles should be avoided as it pollutes the planet. many other points could be made also. it will eventually prove too difficult to feed everyone i think.

on a seperate point: members of many religions are allowed to eat meat and some people can only survive by eating meat (people living near the north pole/siberia and people living in jungles) so why is it ok for some people and not others? do meat eaters have zero chance of union with god?

Yes, I think you are correct when you say these foods should be avoided. It would be ideal if this was possible, however you are also correct in saying that it is too difficult. I think the biggest difference between this and the dairy industry is that when it comes to slavery or low pay, these things can be changed and made better, however when it comes to milk then the current situation is the only way that milk can be produced on such a mass level. I think that's what makes it so bad, the fact that it can't really be made 'better' to fulfil all the demand that exists. If it stopped treating cows as commodities, then supply would decrease, and the entire industry would collapse.

Of course meat is okay for some and not others, especially when it comes to need. If meat is needed for survival then that is perfectly acceptable. God knows such a situation and its circumstances, a union will not be severed when there was no other choice. God is loving and merciful. However, when meat is eaten out of greed, not because it is needed, simply because 'it tastes good and I like it', then that is when I begin to see issue with it.

When it comes to other religions, well that is their own path if they are allowed to eat meat and believe it is acceptable by God. However this question was aimed for Sikhs, specifically those who are already vegetarian, and it was not a matter of whether or not it makes God happy, but a matter of how far does the SIkh view of 'respect for all living creatures' extend.

Thank you.

why not get your own cow or goat for milk and dairy stuff , rather then getting them from dairies who abuse animals?

like find a good place where they keep good care of animals and get milk and stuff from there?

Both these things are quite difficult to do. The first one really speaks for itself, I can't imagine being allowed to have a cow tied up in my back garden lol!

The second seems to suggest the 'organic/free range' option, and while it does seem better than the abuse industries there are still issues that remain when it comes to calves and 'dried up' cows being sold to butchers because they have no use to the farmers. We need to remember that at the end of the day, each farmer is running a business and is trying to make money. He will get rid of anything that decreases his profits, however those things happen to be living creatures.

A previous poster on the first page made mention of his organization, Khalsa Ethics, that sounded quite promising however he has not replied yet to the follow up questions. Hopefully he is able to give the answer you are looking for, but for now it seems far too good to be true.

Both these things are quite difficult to do. The first one really speaks for itself, I can't imagine being allowed to have a cow tied up in my back garden lol!

The second seems to suggest the 'organic/free range' option, and while it does seem better than the abuse industries there are still issues that remain when it comes to calves and 'dried up' cows being sold to butchers because they have no use to the farmers. We need to remember that at the end of the day, each farmer is running a business and is trying to make money. He will get rid of anything that decreases his profits, however those things happen to be living creatures.

A previous poster on the first page made mention of his organization, Khalsa Ethics, that sounded quite promising however he has not replied yet to the follow up questions. Hopefully he is able to give the answer you are looking for, but for now it seems far too good to be true.

its a tricky situation, we are now so detached from the reality of our food and its production. this was never the case just a few decades ago. more scandals will come out in future

no its not difficult , or you can have a goat ,

besides nothing beats the authentic , goa smell of punjab pind haha

you can make cow dung cakes old school , which you can use latter to burn your chulla for food :))

selling to butchers happns a lot in west

A very poor argument in a very poor topic.

Why you want to discuss something that will never end rather than focus on issues in the Panth, I dont know.

Because Sikhi teaches us to respect and value all living creatures? Yet they are still being exploited? If that's not an issue to you, I don't know why you're here.

There are many things that may 'never end'. Racism, sexism, rape, murder, shall we consider them 'poor topics' as well?

Also, what you just quoted wasn't an argument, it was a question. A very poor reply from your behalf, if anything.

Read Gurbani, and then you will know what "living creatures" are.

I'm sure Gurbani teaches us that a cow is a living creature, a four year old could you a cow is a living creature. It is an animal, and it is alive, and this topic is about cows.

Now unless you're going to show me Gurbani that says a cow is not a living creature, I no longer understand your participation here.