If Sikhs Are Vegetarian Because We Respect Life, Then Should We Also Be Vegan?

Moogle1542

Come on! Someone so dedicated to showing the Sikhs howq wrong we are, and you can't do a search on gurbani?

Are you actually *edited*? Are you incapable of reading a string of words put together? I'm not here showing Sikhs how wrong they are, I asked a question. The thread topic is a QUESTION, not a STATEMENT. I'm asking for people's views and opinions, not telling them what they should do. You can't even grasp primary school level English and you want me to trust your interpretation of Bani? I don't think so. Perhaps you should go back to school and learn the functioning of a question mark (thats the thing at the end of the thread title, in case you didn't know).

Also, don't act so righteous and claim you will educate someone with Bani and then take that back and mock them instead. Try not drag Bani into your egotistical and dishonest actions.

Cows and cattle being treated in the manner discuessed in this thread is due to INDUSTRIALIZATION of the Milk Industry that has no regard or respect for the animal.

Puratan Sikhs from Guru Sahib's time didnt treat their animals in this way.

Kheer(milk) based pudding is also mentioned being served in Guru Ka Langgar in Raamkali Ki Vaar.

People here should avoid INFUSING PETA agenda into Sikhi.

Milk is allowed in Sikhi. Period.

Of-course there is no harm in working toward getting it from sources that produce it MORE ETHICALLY.

I agree with this. However the topic is not a matter of whether or not milk is allowed in Sikhi, as I know it explicitly is, but whether the treatment of cattle in today's world, particularly the industrialized West, is acceptable by Sikh standards, and if not what can we do to overcome it?

EDIT: When speaking of overcoming the issue, my personal response is to go vegan, however I would not be against to the use of milk if I come across more ethical standards. I welcome everyone else's opinions and decisions regarding the matter.

Thank you.

There are many things in this world that we can't change in our lifetime and we should accept the fact that whatever is happening is because of the will of god. Whether its climate change or human right abuse or animal abuse, we simply can't prevent it on larger scale. You do what you can on your best level to be a Sikh.

Animals and human are not equal. Manukhi jeevan is very precious and this jeevan is the only chance we get to reach god. We get punishment in charasi lakh joon if we have bad karam. Soul rebirth in animal is the punishment for our soul for the bad deeds we did during our manukhi jeevan. So getting milk from cows, goat etc humanly is nothing wrong.

Are you actually *edited*? Are you incapable of reading a string of words put together? I'm not here showing Sikhs how wrong they are, I asked a question. The thread topic is a QUESTION, not a STATEMENT. I'm asking for people's views and opinions, not telling them what they should do. You can't even grasp primary school level English and you want me to trust your interpretation of Bani? I don't think so. Perhaps you should go back to school and learn the functioning of a question mark (thats the thing at the end of the thread title, in case you didn't know).

Also, don't act so righteous and claim you will educate someone with Bani and then take that back and mock them instead. Try not drag Bani into your egotistical and dishonest actions.

OK.

6th and 10th master hunted for sport. So why on earth would they magically become vegetarians and vegans? Seriously?

Guru Har Gobind ji actually put first edict on vegetarian lifestyle to Gursikhs in his lifetime where he advised SIkhs to stay away from maas macchi and aindey ...so yes , it is reasonable to suppose they would still maintain that rehit

To offer a personal opinion on the original question, I raised this very point to close members of my family who are all very religious,amritdhari, unlike myself . The general consensus was this isn't an issue in Punjab as there isn't mass dairy farming but they are trying to going forward limit their dairy intake as they felt it wasn't in the spirit of sikhs.

Guru Har Gobind ji actually put first edict on vegetarian lifestyle to Gursikhs in his lifetime where he advised SIkhs to stay away from maas macchi and aindey ...so yes , it is reasonable to suppose they would still maintain that rehit

Many person became his disciples. Nanak believed in the Oneness of God and in the way that it is asserted in Muhammadan theology. He also believed in transmigration of souls. Holding wine and pork to be unlawful, he had [himself] abandoned eating meat. He decreed avoidance of causing harm toanimals. It was after his time that meat-eating spread amongst his followers. Arjan Mal, who was on of his lineal succesors, found this to be evil. He prohibited people from eating meat, saying “This is not in accordance withNanak’s wishes”.

Later, Hargobind, son of Arjan Mal, ate meat and took tohunting. Most of their [the Gurus] followers adopted his practice
Mobad’ Dabistan-I Mazahib 1645-46

Many person became his disciples. Nanak believed in the Oneness of God and in the way that it is asserted in Muhammadan theology. He also believed in transmigration of souls. Holding wine and pork to be unlawful, he had [himself] abandoned eating meat. He decreed avoidance of causing harm toanimals. It was after his time that meat-eating spread amongst his followers. Arjan Mal, who was on of his lineal succesors, found this to be evil. He prohibited people from eating meat, saying “This is not in accordance withNanak’s wishes”.

Later, Hargobind, son of Arjan Mal, ate meat and took tohunting. Most of their [the Gurus] followers adopted his practice
Mobad’ Dabistan-I Mazahib 1645-46

so what you are saying is I believe a Muslim historian above hukamnama of Guru ji ? besides Allah of Islam is same God of Abraham a much more emotion-driven entity then Nanak's vision of Akal Purakh who is limitless.

so what you are saying is I believe a Muslim historian above hukamnama of Guru ji ? besides Allah of Islam is same God of Abraham a much more emotion-driven entity then Nanak's vision of Akal Purakh who is limitless.

If I may jump in - as a historian myself it is wonderful to come across such sources that provide insight into various scholarly viewpoints. You should not feel compelled to have to believe the view of another historian/scholar, or offended by what they say, but I hope that you will at least enjoy the intellectual & academic worth of such sources! Guruji after all was a teacher & student himself :) Such content encourages further education and deeper understanding of the matter - I for one am glad it was posted! :biggrin2: