Is It Ok To Read The Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji In English?

I've heard that reading the guru Granth sahib ji should ideally be read in gurmukhi, as the English transaltion maybe slightly distorted in terms of its meaning , and may also be rather opionated by the author who imprints the translation, is this true?

I'm unable to read or understand gurmukhi and my only option is to read translation in English

Also I would like to ask how all you gurusikhs maintain constant love and devotion (what kind of thoughts do you have) when reading the gurubani, because I seem to lose interest if the paath is significantly long(eg sukhmani sahib paath)

Lastly is it ok to just listen to the path, or must I physically recite it?

May waheguru ji bless you all. :)

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Yes, it is OK. Many start there and are inspired to learn Gurmukhi and read as the Gurus revealed to the world. Its full effect, its beauty and its Divinity is truly reflected in Gurmukhi.

A Gursikh, who is blessed with the Almighty, will read Gurbani and be carried forth in developing a deep love for Gurbani. He/she will read, will understand, and will implement in the daily life. The Guru will be pleased, and will shower blessings on the Gursikh and enhance the spiritual ecstasy, increase the bliss of Simran, transcend the spiritual stages to the highest and make the Gursikh one with the Almighty. Or so I have heard... :biggrin2:

Yes, it is OK to listen to paath. Even when doing Paath, it is done so that the mouth recites and the ears listen. Listening is very important and listening, doing vichaar (see what Guru Sahib says, introspect as to how it applies to your life and where you stand, and apply it to your life) is very important.

Note that the theme of Gurbani at a very overwhelming level is Naam Simran.

I've heard that reading the guru Granth sahib ji should ideally be read in gurmukhi, as the English transaltion maybe slightly distorted in terms of its meaning , and may also be rather opionated by the author who imprints the translation, is this true?

I'm unable to read or understand gurmukhi and my only option is to read translation in English

Also I would like to ask how all you gurusikhs maintain constant love and devotion (what kind of thoughts do you have) when reading the gurubani, because I seem to lose interest if the paath is significantly long(eg sukhmani sahib paath)

Lastly is it ok to just listen to the path, or must I physically recite it?

May waheguru ji bless you all. :)

Learn Gurmukhi.

There are many sites & apps which provide Lessons online.

Search archives or google them.

Reading, reciting, singing, listening, contemplating & practicing Gurbani have there own merit.

Try all & see which you enjoy most.

Learn Gurmukhi.

There are many sites & apps which provide Lessons online.

Search archives or google them.

Reading, reciting, singing, listening, contemplating & practicing Gurbani have there own merit.

Try all & see which you enjoy most.

The thing is even if they learn Gurmukhi they still won't understand what they're saying(like most Akhand Paht people do) so I would suggest start with English, but say the transliteration aloud. Later on learn Gurmukhi

The thing is even if they learn Gurmukhi they still won't understand what they're saying(like most Akhand Paht people do) so I would suggest start with English, but say the transliteration aloud. Later on learn Gurmukhi

The problem with newbies & late comers is that they don't want to follow the right path ie

learn Gurmukhi then take Santhiya later do Veechaar lastly live according to Gurbani.

If you skip one or two steps then you will have to depend on others for life.

Which is not advisable.

• 4 years later...

Is It Ok To Read The Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji In English?

It is ok to read it in any language you are comfortable, provided you have checked with someone near to you who can tell you how accurate that one is to the Adi Granth as  per  translation wise.

But then, just do not read it as parrots do, means with speed but without  understanding the meaning in it.

So do not rush, read if needed  several times each ang, and try to analyze from different angles what Guru Sahiban wants to convey us in that Bani, and in addition to this, listen some kathas from the net, related to the Bani from some advanced Katha keertan sevadars...

To start with, I will highly recommend you to listen to Sant Maskeen Singh Jee, his voice quality and explanations of the depth of the Bani are very good and inspiring, and this paves the road for us to walk on the path of spirituality with confidence and faith, by His grace.

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2014 at 3:38 PM, khalsawarrior47 said:

Of course it's true. It's not like the translation was written by Guru Sahib.

You should listen/view Youtube videos that have transliteration.

Reading translations is actually kind of boring, since Gurbani is poetry meant to be experienced.