Reciting And Understanding Chandi Di Vaar

Questioner

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I feel I need a great amount of mental and spiritual strength to develop and get through the days, where I face many challenges. I'm turning to Chandi Di Vaar, having heard that this bani will provide me with that strong mentality.

However, reading the translations, I do not understand it. I do not understand its meaning; I am trying to relate the battle to that of the mind and the panj chor, but I do not know if this is at all correct.

Can somebody please explain to me?

Can I read Chandi Di Vaar without understanding it? It feels like pakhand if I do.

Chandi di // also known as // Sri Bhagauti Ji is a composition included in the 5th chapter of Dasam Granth. It is based on an episode from the Sanskrit work Markandeya Purana, and describes the conflict between the Gods and the Demons.

In the ballad, the supreme goddess (see Chandi) is transformed into a liberating divine power in the form of sword, that crushes perpetuators of falsehood

Bhagauti stands for God and sometimes for sword which is identified with God. Bhagavathi is used as a synonym of the word Bhagauti in other parts of India.

According to early Sikh Historian, Bhai Koer Singh Kalal as mentioned in Gurbilas Patshahi 10 (1751), Chandi di Vaar was written by Guru Gobind Singh at Anandpur Sahib. Various other Sikh historians and scholars like Giani Ditt Singh, Professor Sahib Singh, Giani Gian Singh, Ratan Singh Bhangu, Kavi Santokh Singh also supported this fact.

The first part of the // is known as the "Ardas", the opening Section of Sikh prayer which invokes the names of the Gurus:

ੴ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹ ॥
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਸਹਾਇ ॥
ਵਾਰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਕੀ ॥
ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮ ਭਗੌਤੀ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਕੈ ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਈਂ ਧਿਆਇ ॥
ਫਿਰ ਅੰਗਦ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਅਮਰਦਾਸੁ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੈ ਹੋਈਂ ਸਹਾਇ ॥
ਅਰਜਨ ਹਰਿਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਨੋ ਸਿਮਰੌ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਹਰਿਰਾਇ ॥
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਕਿਸ਼ਨ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਜਿਸ ਡਿਠੇ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖਿ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਤੇਗ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਸਿਮਰਿਐ ਘਰ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਆਵੈ ਧਾਇ ॥
ਸਭ ਥਾਈਂ ਹੋਇ ਸਹਾਇ

Translation:

One Supreme reality
Victory to the Lord, the Eternal One.
May Almighty God assist us, I write the ode of Almighty God.
Having first remembered God and then I reflect on Guru Nanak.
Then Guru Angad, Guru Amar Das and Guru Ram Das, may they help us.
I reflect on Guru Arjan, Guru Hargobind and Guru Har Rai.
I remember Guru Har Kishan, by whose sight all the sufferings vanish.
Then I do remember Guru Tegh Bahadur, through whose grace the nine treasures come my house.
May they be helpful to us everywhere.

The author describes the emergence Goddess Chandi as a force that destroys the demons.

ਤੈ ਹੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਸਾਜਿ ਕੈ ਦੈਤਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਸੁ ਕਰਾਇਆ ॥
ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਰਾਮ ਲੈ ਨਾਲ ਬਾਣਾ ਦਹਸਿਰੁ ਘਾਇਆ ॥
ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਲੈ ਕੰਸੁ ਕੇਸੀ ਪਕੜਿ ਗਿਰਾਇਆ ॥
ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਲੈ ਕੰਸੁ ਕੇਸੀ ਪਕੜਿ ਗਿਰਾਇਆ ॥
ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਮੁਨਿ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਕਈ ਜੁਗ ਤਿਨੀ ਤਨੁ ਤਾਇਆ ॥
ਕਿਨੀ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ

Translation:

Lord! By creating Durga, you have caused destruction of demons.
Rama received power from you to kill Ravana with arrows.
Krishna received power from you to threw down Kansa by catching his hair.
The great sages and gods, even practising great austerities for several ages; do not know your limits.

This information written above is what I have found much related to your topic and post.

Now from there, if something is to taken into account, is the depth of the meaning in them; and not literally, because different deities and demons are mentioned ( with whom we have nothing to do ) ,and also Him and His shakti, power, or Chandi, it is the same thing.

So according to my humble interpretation, Guru Jee, is telling us, that the demons(evil) which each one of us has to face and defeat, are the 5 vikars or demons, along with their boss, who is the mind, and the boss of all these tyrants, which is none other than kaal .....

Here, Guru Jee is telling us, that for defeating and killing these demons, we have to use the weapon of Bhagauti or Bhakti of Wahiguru, who then comes to our aid, and He himself slays all these demons, and thus releases us from the cluthches of these evil entities, only then we are released from this mayavee creation, and then we can return back to our true Home Sach Khand.

I am sure there are well versed brothers and sisters among our sangat, who can shed you some more light on this topic, but in my humble opinion, I think I indirectly replied your quest in my previous post, because if paid attention to the Bani of any Mahatma, any Gurmukh, any Sant Jan or even our very beloved Guru Sahibans, they only stress on one Wahiguru, and the devotion at His Lotus Feet by the means of Naam Simran, which unfolds countless blessings on us, for our very own benefit, to the extent, that we become as He Himself, and merge in Him, that is the wadeeayee of His Bhagauti or Chandi.

Waheguru.