Is It Ok For A Sikh Male To Marry A Non-Sikh, But Not A Sikh Female To Do Vice Versa?

SSD

"Do not given a daughter's hand to a clean shaven. Give her hand in a house where God's Sikhi exists, where the household is not in debt, is of a good nature, is disciplined and knowledgeable." Hukam 38 of 52. It is true that Nihangs did intermarry with Muslim and Hindu women during their Chackarvarti(not sure if its still true). I also think that we have to ackwoledge that men and women despite being equal are just not the same. I really wanted to know these points because it (Hukam) says daughter and not son. Please someone explain it to me(only after reading the Hukam) and tell me if it has 2 sides.

"Do not given a daughter's hand to a clean shaven. Give her hand in a house where God's Sikhi exists, where the household is not in debt, is of a good nature, is disciplined and knowledgeable." Hukam 38 of 52. It is true that Nihangs did intermarry with Muslim and Hindu women during their Chackarvarti(not sure if its still true). I also think that we have to ackwoledge that men and women despite being equal are just not the same. I really wanted to know these points because it (Hukam) says daughter and not son. Please someone explain it to me(only after reading the Hukam) and tell me if it has 2 sides.

Guru Pita would only sanction Anand Karaj for gursikhs and only they can have anand karaj not anyone else ...so if Nihangs would marry it would be within rehit . Hindu bibis would have pahul and become gursikhs , if muslim bibis (never heard of this but possible) same .

If you have Gursikh daughter why on Earth would you give her in marriage to those who do not keep the rehit ? and would also prevent her from being a gursikh in the fullest and possibly force her to make her children other than Gursikhs? A man should not marry out either , if he does he runs the risk of his progeny becoming nastik, or agnoist or even another faith.

A mother is primary caregiver of a child and spends an extraordinary amount of time around her children colouring their worldview , if she is a good Gursikh then it is a positive for the future generations but if she has opposing views or is maya-driven the kids will suffer for it.The Hukam is explicit for females because at the time sikh people were in transition from families /clans of different faiths so may be tempted to appease elders by marrying daughters to people who were not Gursikhs (keeping them out of the crosshairs of the mughals). Today it is still important look for strong moral sikh character in your life partner if you want good, upstanding gursikhs in the future.

Traditionally when a woman married she took on the traditions and beliefs of the family she married into. This is why to maintain Sikhi and to keep the faith alive and pass it through future generations a female Sikh should marry only a Sikh male. It is difficult in an extended family where the woman will live with her husband's parents as well as her husband;s brothers and sisters for a number of years for her to keep her faith distinct if they all follow another faith. The family will also probably have rituals which they follow which are not in line with Sikhi such as idol worship etc. Being married into the family will entail her having to take part in their rituals.

On the other hand a Sikh man who comes from a strong Gursikh family would not be under the same pressure because if he marries a non-Sikh female then traditionally the girl would be integrated into the Sikh religion and the rites she would be taking part in would be the same as her Sikh husband.

Obviously the above is not 100% given today's nuclear families and married couples leaving their parents home after marriage but the Hukum needs to understood according to the time when it was given.

Generally I have seen sikh males prefer to marry within the sikhi.. ..The reason is They carry the sikh identity..and they don't want to lose it.. The time you are talking about was a worse time of mughals/abdaalies... when no one came to accept those women in the society ..only sikh males agreed to marry with them... and the cutest thing of that time was that first women shown their desire to marry the singhs.. bcz these women wanted the real man who can respect them and save them from rest of the world.. not with an on screen dancing actor kanjar as you see today on television. ..

never you heard that line " Rondiaaa timmiyaa kendiyaa chuddhiyaa paa lo ", he Ran shakti singho sannu vyaaa lo"

First of all if parents are Dharmi they will marry their children on time with like minded people.

Now majority are namesake Dharmis or Bhekhis who pretend to be religious but are engrossed in maya.

So it doesn't matter whom they marry for money.

Secondly those who have married out of religion have done so as per their destiny.

We must accept it as Rab da bhana.

They should opt for a Civil Marriage without any religious ceremony.

Traditionally when a woman married she took on the traditions and beliefs of the family she married into. This is why to maintain Sikhi and to keep the faith alive and pass it through future generations a female Sikh should marry only a Sikh male. It is difficult in an extended family where the woman will live with her husband's parents as well as her husband;s brothers and sisters for a number of years for her to keep her faith distinct if they all follow another faith. The family will also probably have rituals which they follow which are not in line with Sikhi such as idol worship etc. Being married into the family will entail her having to take part in their rituals.

On the other hand a Sikh man who comes from a strong Gursikh family would not be under the same pressure because if he marries a non-Sikh female then traditionally the girl would be integrated into the Sikh religion and the rites she would be taking part in would be the same as her Sikh husband.

Obviously the above is not 100% given today's nuclear families and married couples leaving their parents home after marriage but the Hukum needs to understood according to the time when it was given.

what if the husband agrees to accept Sikhi, but the in-laws do not?

Generally I have seen sikh males prefer to marry within the sikhi.. ..The reason is They carry the sikh identity..and they don't want to lose it.

I'm not sure you've seen a lot of matrimonials, where it says clean-shaven please(so called "Sikh" matrimonials) even within this website, I've seen people say that they would prefer non-Sikh at birth women. Sikh men are also to blame for their preferences in a woman who waxed(which by itself creates discrimination towards Gursikh women).

Then that's great because the couple will both be Sikhs and give each other sangat and support, it's not an ideal world anyway so I would expect that the in-laws views would be put on the backburner by the couple. Happened in my situation

Are your in-laws non-Sikhs? Not judging you if they are or aren't, I just don't understand this particular Hukam, even if they're born into a Sikh familiy are they Sikh? No, a Sikh is by practice not by words or blood.