The Sikh Council Need To Think Before They Speak!

SikhWorldTv

I was listening to LBC radio (UK) this morning, Thursday 25th September 2014, and a rep from the Sikh Council telephoned in, not as an invited guest but wanted to make sure his gravity of status was mentioned, to object to the word bumfluff being used! The subject was about a muslim school girl wanting to wear a burkha in class. But this person was very upset that the presenter had used the word bumfluff which when James O'Brien, the host, was younger a teacher had asked him to shave it off as it was not in line with school rules. The Sikh council guy was going on about how offensive this word was and it would affect a lot of young people growing up and hundreds of people would telephone in to complain. By the end of the conversation the presenter reminded the guy that not one objection had come in during the chat, the Sikh guy then resorted to playing the victim and saying you can do what you want as you own the radio station.

It all ended up looking daft for no reason - please if you want to represent the Sikh faith get some media training or we all just end up looking foolish.

I heard that as well. I missed the first bit, was the Sikh council guy the first one to bring the word Sikh into the conversation or did James O'Brien say the word first? There was no need for him to ring as the discussion was about a Muslim girl who wanted to wear the niqaab to school.

Who was the Sikh Council rep?

Guy suggests male.

Young or old? Good English?

Did he give his name and position?

He sounded late 20's early 30's with a good command of English but came across very self-important and it was he that said Sikh first, I was driving at the time so did no catch his name at the first bit.

Later on my wife said another Sikh male came on and he was great very grounded and added to the discussion, whoever he was WELL DONE.

As LBC is a commercial radio station to listen again you have to subscribe to its downloads, so if anyone is a member it would be good to link it here so we can all see this fiasco and learn from it.