Maryada Of Doing Sewa In Langar Kitchen, Wearing Shoes, Taking Same Shoes To Toilet And Back To Langar Kitchen

JasSinghKhalsa

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh

Dear Sadh Sangat Jee,

What is the maryada from Akal Takht Sahib with respect to wearing shoes and doing sewa in Langar Kitchen?

Is it allowed to wear personal shoes or even so called "Gurudwara shoes" to be worn when doing sewa in Langar Kitchen and using the same shoes to go to toilets and then back to Langar Kitchen?

Then using the same shoes (personal or "Gurudwara shoes" taken to toilets) when doing Langar sewa whether cooking, washing utensils, serving Langar and even serving extra Langar to sangat sitting in pangat.

This is Guru Raam Dass Jee's Kitchen and Guru Raam Dass Jee Langar Hall, not my personal home kitchen or my personal dining room.

Are the rules of not wearing shoes in Langar Kitchen only for Indian Gurudwaras and not for UK Gurudwaras???

Will it be allowed to wear so called "Gurudwara shoes" to be worn inside Diwan hall (the prakash asthan of Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaj)?

Can my query be answered please?????? - JOHNYVEER, Mehtab Singh, GPS, N30SINGH and other members of this forum, please help me with my query?

WJKK WJKF

veer ji, I too feel much frustration on how in western countries maryada has become tailored to fit "westernised Sikhs".

In the Akal Takhat Rehat Maryada I dont think it says about wearing any shoes in the langar hall specifically, however it states shoes should be removed on entry of the gurdwara. I think in western countries sangat have redefined the boundary of the gurdwara as to only the darbar, hence why they trapes their shoes in and out and how many people irregardless of age, take their head covering off within the langar hall, not realising that when accepting langar, you are accepting blessed food with Naam it's main ingredient. The parents accepting langar for their kids then throwing it in the bin because they dislike it and it's not pizza. The waste also contrary to the maryada and gurmat, equivalent of throwing parshaad into the bin....how wrong on so many levels.

Also, I think because in the uk were not sitting on the floor next to one another and we sit mainly on tables people don't remove their shoes as again it's a more westernised custom.

However western "Sikhs" will continue to do as they like, justifying themselves with silly excuses like how many children go within the gurus darbar with their heads uncovered all across the uk, contrary to the maryada.

To sum up, I personally would say shoes should be left at the door/entrance hall of the gurdwara and no indoor shoes should be permitted for sangat and sevadars.

Very important issue that needs to be discussed. Shoes should not be worn inside Gurdwaras. So called 'Gurdwara shoes' are also Manmat like the benches and chairs that are being installed in Gurdwaras throughout the western world. Most of this stuff has happened since the last 14 years or so. Before that it was very rare to see this manmat.

It's just a matter of time before this happens too. Don't be surprised, we have plenty of apne who would support such manmat.

JonnyVeer, I have seen this in pretty much most of the Gurudwaras in UK, last Sunday raised concern to the committe members of one of the Gurudwara and you know what "Danda Sotta chuk ke oh mere peeche pe gaye :)". Planning to go to Swindon Gurudwara "Prabh Milne Ka Chau" next week as I have heard they are strict and follow some strict maryada ...

JonnyVeer, I have seen this in pretty much most of the Gurudwaras in UK, last Sunday raised concern to the committe members of one of the Gurudwara and you know what "Danda Sotta chuk ke oh mere peeche pe gaye :)". Planning to go to Swindon Gurudwara "Prabh Milne Ka Chau" next week as I have heard they are strict and follow some strict maryada .

What stops you to talk to more like minded Sikhs and then get together to drum some sense into these committe members.

No use walking away from a problem.