Bjp Wants Chandigarh To Be Transferred To Punjab?

S4NGH

From Gurmat Bibek

Rajiv-Longowal Accord on Chandigarh
October 24, 2014 08:36AM
Recently, BJP has started to advocate Rajiv-Longowal Accord and pushed the demand for transferring Chandigarh to Punjab as it is listed in the accord. But this move of the BJP is not for the benefit of the Punjab State. It will further dwarf the exploited and crippled State. According to the accord, only the capital area of Chandigarh will be transferred not the entire city of Chandigarh. The capital area back in 1985 was significantly smaller and no official document provides any insight on what constitutes the entire capital area and its boundaries.

The three member Boundary Commission, presided over by Justice Shah, which demarcated the boundaries of the Punjabi speaking State, decided to award Chandigarh and many important Punjabi speaking areas to Haryana. This was done on the basis of the communal census of 1961. In 1961, the city was inhabited mostly by Government employees, majority of whom were Hindus, who though they were actually Punjabi speaking had got their mother tongue registered as Hindi, on account of communal considerations. However, the Commission’s recommendation to transfer Chandigarh to Haryana was not implemented and the town was kept as a Union Territory, as the capital of both the States and the seat of the common High Court.

In exchange, Punjab will have to give up its Punjabi speaking areas to Haryana. This is unjust and unfair in light of the fact that keeping Chandigarh as a union territory was an unconstitutional move to begin with. Chandigarh was built by Punjab Government but now it stays there as a tenant. While elsewhere in the country the state capitals were retained by the parent States, e.g. Bombay in Maharashtra and Madras in Tamil Nadu, Chandigarh was not given to Punjab. The extreme unfairness of the Boundary Commission is indicated by the fact that whereas Simla, the Capital of Punjab from 1947 to 1954 was allotted to Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh, the new capital of Punjab from 1954 to 1966 was transferred to Haryana. Even the Gobind Sagar lake and the uninhabited area around, though adjacent to Nangal Town and a part of the Bhakra Nangal Project, always administered by Punjab, were not transferred to Punjabi Suba.

Haryana was created as a rival State under a scheme of the government to further cause fights and disruptions in the Northern area and to deprive Punjab of its constitutional rights. Whenever Punjab raises a demand for its natural resources, autonomy and Chandigarh, Haryana is always there to oppose such a move and the entire issue turns into a Sikh-Hindu conflict on communal lines. This is observed by S.M Sathananthan (London), K.T. Lalwani (London), S. Raghunath lyenger (Lagos), Prof. G. P. Mansukhani (Bombay), Asha Bhatnagar (Jaipur) et. al. in ‘Hindu-Sikh Conflict In Punjab: Causes and Cure’ by These persons belonging to different professions came all the way from far off places to personally study the Punjab situation. They moved from place to place in the State and met a cross section of the people and concluded as under:

"The present Hindu-Sikh conflict is the saddest tragedy of post-partition Indian History. Its genesis lies in a narrow-minded attitude of certain sections of the community, that totally refutes the traditional Hindu virtues of tolerance and understanding. One also wonders, why the Sikhs are always pushed into agitation for their basic constitutional demands, the kind of which were never denied to other States and communities. Why was Punjab the last linguistic State to be formed (10 years late)? Why is Punjab the only state in India whose capital Chandigarh is governed by the Central Government? There are many such unanswered questions which deserve serious probing and full national exposure. Indian news agencies and papers will do well to investigate the reasons for Hindu-Sikh conflict arising from Hindu opposition to Sikh demands, even though their demands were made to the Government (and not to the Hindus of Punjab and Haryana). While most of the Sikh demands are for the welfare of Punjab State, not one demand is anti-Hindu or hurts Hindu sentiments in any way.”

During the Punjab (Sikh) agitation, the government tried sham negotiations and expressed its helplessness to appease both Punjab and Haryana. The government knew fully well that Haryana will naturally oppose Punjab’s constitutional demands for transferring control of water and hydel projects and Chandigarh because Haryana loses much of its free wealth it gets from Punjab. Due to Haryana’s opposition, the issue turned into a communal Sikh-Hindu conflict. Instead of talking economic and politics, the government sidetracked the issue to religion. This caused much anti-Sikh violence in Haryana and Punjab. The media played its biased role of siding with the government. The government let the violence spread and then sent in the army under the pretext of maintaining “law and order”. Hundreds of thousands of Sikhs were killed in order to make them submissive and suppress them to the point of never raising their demands ever again. In the meantime, Punjab continued (and still continues) to get exploited of its wealth.

The ‘Guardian’, London (June 8, 1984) made a good analysis of this policy of the Prime Minister in the following words:

“All through the tangle in Punjab, the Government has preferred to talk religion instead of economics and politics in its dealings with the Akali party, which represents the interests of Punjabi peasants and farmers, the majority of whom are Sikhs. The farmers say, “Give us more of our own river waters to irrigate our fields or refer the matter to the Supreme Court.” The Government replies, “We allow you to broadcast religious music over All India Radio, as for the water we shall appoint a tribunal to give a ruling on the dispute.” The Akalis say, “Chandigarh, which happens to be in the heart of Punjab, should not have to be shared as a capital with neighbouring Haryana. The Government retorts, “But how can we persuade the Government of Haryana to agree!”.... The Akalis say that Punjab and other States throughout India should be given greater economic powers and allowed to manage their own affairs. New Delhi retorts, “This is a talk of secession, it must be inspired by a foreign power.”

Much more can be written on the subject. What we need to understand is that the government will never change its policies towards Punjab and the Sikhs. Any move by the government will never bring any benefit to the Punjabi State. It will always have something behind curtains. If the capital area of Chandigarh is given back, Punjab will lose some part of its territory despite the fact that Chandigarh has always belonged to Punjab. BJP, Congress, AAP or any other Indian party will not stand behind Punjab lest the majority Hindu become upset.

Amritsar situation is same as chandigarh. Majority of its residents are non-sikhs. They are in power of this sikh established city for centuries.

Not sure how many lived in punjab but chandigarh developed in 60's/70's was well planned of that era. Yes it should have been updated in 90's but we know how poor or educated local bodies are. Today, chandigarh became the hub of 'paying guest' (PG). People greed is so high that they built three storey house onky to maje money by hosting dozen students as paying guest. Back in days, strict restrictions were imposed on height of buildings, how many parks/schools per neighborhood and so on. Rest of punjabi cities are ugly with no respect to architect guidelines. Chandigarh will still beat any city of punjab and haryana. Punjab tried to copy chandugarh by creating mohali and haryana did with Panchcula.

but chandigarh developed in 60's/70's was well planned of that era.

Sorry but I'm confused. How can buildings made from the wrong materials........i.e NOT suitable for the Punjab climate, be considered "well panned" ? :stupidme:

You see, you didn't understand the criticism I made of him in the previous message when I talked about his famous quote about 'machines'. His major shortcoming was that he didn't see people as human beings......He saw them as machines. Thus he had absolutely no understanding about the needs a human being has. Thus he was almost completely blind to the landscape of Punjab, the demographics of Punjab, the needs of the people of Punjab. You add that to his schoolboy error of using the wrong materials for the climate and you have a very poor architect. And when you add that to the fact that the concrete buildings are hideously ugly you have a criminally inept architect.

I know architects that feel Le Corbusier should have been prosecuted in the human rights courts for crimes against humanity. He is almost universally hated amongst those in the know. The trouble with Punjabis is that they are inherently very gullible. They're told to feel proud that a 'world famous architect' has designed their city and they do. They do without ever casting a critical eye over the true ugliness of that city.

I've always hoped that the good people of Chandigarh have better sense than to waste their resources in the way that Le Corbusier wasted theirs, and instead that they may obtain the funds they need to demolish all of this garbage and begin again.

I mean just take a look at this ugly thing. This is the assembly building in Chandigarh. Have you ever seen such an ugly thing ? :

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kybcw0W86e1qa86r0.jpg

Sorry but I'm confused. How can buildings made from the wrong materials........i.e NOT suitable for the Punjab climate, be considered "well panned" ? :stupidme:

You see, you didn't understand the criticism I made of him in the previous message when I talked about his famous quote about 'machines'. His major shortcoming was that he didn't see people as human beings......He saw them as machines. Thus he had absolutely no understanding about the needs a human being has. Thus he was almost completely blind to the landscape of Punjab, the demographics of Punjab, the needs of the people of Punjab. You add that to his schoolboy error of using the wrong materials for the climate and you have a very poor architect. And when you add that to the fact that the concrete buildings are hideously ugly you have a criminally inept architect.

I know architects that feel Le Corbusier should have been prosecuted in the human rights courts for crimes against humanity. He is almost universally hated amongst those in the know. The trouble with Punjabis is that they are inherently very gullible. They're told to feel proud that a 'world famous architect' has designed their city and they do. They do without ever casting a critical eye over the true ugliness of that city.

I've always hoped that the good people of Chandigarh have better sense than to waste their resources in the way that Le Corbusier wasted theirs, and instead that they may obtain the funds they need to demolish all of this garbage and begin again.

I mean just take a look at this ugly thing. This is the assembly building in Chandigarh. Have you ever seen such an ugly thing ? :

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kybcw0W86e1qa86r0.jpg

You say they're ugly, I say they're absolutely effin beautiful!

How are the buildings made from the "wrong" materials?

Chandigarh was never intended to be punjabi or adjust to the landscape/ demographics of punjab. Le corbusier was to create a new city of a completely new and different school of thought. A city that would need to be adapted to, a city that changes what you consider to be the norm, a city that would change the way you live. Clearly he was very, very successful. He was and still remains one of theeee most influential architects of all time.

I respect your opinion but you've made it quite clear that you cant even comprehend any other thought. My "friend", I think you should get out more. ;)

You say they're ugly, I say they're absolutely effin beautiful!

How are the buildings made from the "wrong" materials?

Chandigarh was never intended to be punjabi or adjust to the landscape/ demographics of punjab. Le corbusier was to create a new city of a completely new and different school of thought. A city that would need to be adapted to, a city that changes what you consider to be the norm, a city that would change the way you live. Clearly he was very, very successful. He was and still remains one of theeee most influential architects of all time.

I respect your opinion but you've made it quite clear that you cant even comprehend any other thought. My "friend", I think you should get out more. ;)

beauty is in the eye of the beholder? anyways the price for Chandigarh is to annex punjab state further ? too high even if the buildings were made with diamonds and gold ... let's move for Amritsar as capital and tell Centre to stick that longowal-rajiv accord where the sun don't shine

Why didnt maharaja ranjit singh make Amritsar the capital of his empire? Why lahore instead?

Because Lahore has always, since the beginning of Punjab, been Punjab's most important city. Also, since the day Amritsar as a city was founded right up until 1947, it was always a distinctly Muslim city, with Muslims being the overwhelminng majority. In contrast, Lahore had a very healthy Sikh, Hindu and Muslim mix.

First of all we dont consider rajiv-longiwal act as our demand. This act was made by stabbing knife million times on our panth - a traitor and betrayal act by longowal - who in fact the actual murderer of sant bhinderanwale.

Chandigarh was always part of punjab and so was himachal and haryana. Getting chandigarh back is not our demand but our right.

Anandpur sahib resolution is our stand not government created rajiv-longiwal act.

First of all we dont consider rajiv-longiwal act as our demand. This act was made by stabbing knife million times on our panth - a traitor and betrayal act by longowal - who in fact the actual murderer of sant bhinderanwale.

Chandigarh was always part of punjab and so was himachal and haryana. Getting chandigarh back is not our demand but our right.

Anandpur sahib resolution is our stand not government created rajiv-longiwal act.

True Veer ji,

but people are so confused these days they may say why not accept this we are getting Chandhigarh backbut this is gov't sleight of hand to steal more territory of Punjab and shrinking it again we stand at a sixth of our original size ...how much more would you sacrifice for a ruined city (by all accounts investment in Chandigarh has not been kept up)?