Bhatra Community

JRoudh

Bhat (Kashmiri: भट (Devanagari), بھٹ (Nastaleeq)), sometimes spelled as Butt (Pahari: بٹ), both of which are a shortened rendition of Bhatta (Kashmiri: भट्ट (Devanagari), بھٹٹ (Nastaleeq)),[1] is a Kashmiri surname, found among individuals native to the Kashmir Valley of India,[2] as well as Kashmiri émigrés who have migrated to the Punjab,[3][4] a region divided between India and neighbouring Pakistan.[5] Kashmiris bearing the surname Bhat belong to the larger Bhat caste of Brahmins found in the rest of the India;[1][6][7] the surname is shared by both Hindus and Muslims.[8] The Sikhs also share the Bhat heritage, and are known as the Bhat or Bhatra and Bhatta sangat and were amongst the first followers of Guru Nanak.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhat_clan

WJKK WJKF

This post has basically been the usual case of individuals who hold much pride within their ancestry and caste/clans and then trying too justify this pride within a sikh context of "we jatt/Bhatra did this" and "you bhatra/jatt don't do this"......Just STOP!

It is the individuals what makes up groups of people what do great things and call themselves sikhs, as soon as caste comes into like bhat sikh or jatt sikh it no longer has any connection to sikhi.

From reading the posts, what's evident is by the person who posted this topic and other contributors that one thing people have failed to realise is that when a sikhs wife is at home, they simply don't sit idle? Being a mother and learning your children about sikhi is much more important than a factory job or being a lawyer. It's our mothers who provide the initial passion within their children's minds for sikhi. Becoming "modernised" does not mean becoming more sikh. When I was young I can remember my grandmothers and sisters preparing to hold the gurus diwan and my grandmother reading the hukamnama. See, the modernisation these so called "Sikhs" are conversing about is the equality of men and women within a western ideology, not equality from a sikh perspective.

If a Sikh gives shaheedi for the Khalsa panth, it is so called Sikhs that after the Sikhs death they then attach caste on the Sikhs name, this is what we are good at doing, nothing much else like celebrating the castles equality of the Khalsa sikh that gave their life!

1efc41841fac2bd7e0417dabb2b472300f67f0f1

You seem to be obessed by your 'caste' Roudh. This obssession has clouded your reasoning as the Khatris are the oldest community of Sikhs.

There is a world of difference between how you perceive yourself and how others perceive you. I think you might find common consensus among the wider Sikh community is that the Bhatras have practices that are extremely un-Sikh.

There is nothing Sikh...nothing Khalsa....about women keeping the veil.

There is nothing Sikh....nothing Khalsa....about Sikh women keeping chundh in front of SGGS ji in the Gurdwara.

There is nothing Sikh.....nothing Khalsa....about keeping rings in your noses like bulls and enough shabby chic jewellery that would make even a gypsy blush.

There is nothing Sikh....nothing Khalsa about marriage dowries.

There is nothing Sikh...nothing Khalsa.... about a community where something like zero percent of the females have a dastar.

There is nothing Sikh.....nothing Khalsa....about a community that practices widespread fortune telling and palm reading for a living.

There is nothing Sikh....nothing Khalsa....about habitually murdering and then eating like cannibals god's animals.

There is nothing Sikh...nothing Khalsa...about being of the mindset that the Khalsa is only for males and females do not count.

I suggest, Roudh, you stop this casteist nonsense and re-evaluate what you percieve to be your community's reputation. The best start for this is acknowledging the fact that 50% of Sikhs are female. These 50% are not some sort of sub-standard low value human beings. They are Sikhs.

WJKK WJKF

LOL, if it is "the wider Sikhs consensus" of what you have contributed within your post above, I suggest that you stay clear of these so called sikhs passing judgement. Have they not seen the other nonsenses which occur within so called jatt sikhs, ramgharia sikhs, Mazhabi Sikhs lol?

There is a world of difference of what you and the wider consensus of Sikhs perceive themselves to be than what dhan Dhan akali nihang shiri guru Gobind Singh ji and his Khalsa panth perceives you to be.

WJKK WJKF

This post has basically been the usual case of individuals who hold much pride within their ancestry and caste/clans and then trying too justify this pride within a sikh context of "we jatt/Bhatra did this" and "you bhatra/jatt don't do this"......Just STOP!

It is the individuals what makes up groups of people what do great things and call themselves sikhs, as soon as caste comes into like bhat sikh or jatt sikh it no longer has any connection to sikhi.

From reading the posts, what's evident is by the person who posted this topic and other contributors that one thing people have failed to realise is that when a sikhs wife is at home, they simply don't sit idle? Being a mother and learning your children about sikhi is much more important than a factory job or being a lawyer. It's our mothers who provide the initial passion within their children's minds for sikhi. Becoming "modernised" does not mean becoming more sikh. When I was young I can remember my grandmothers and sisters preparing to hold the gurus diwan and my grandmother reading the hukamnama. See, the modernisation these so called "Sikhs" are conversing about is the equality of men and women within a western ideology, not equality from a sikh perspective.

If a Sikh gives shaheedi for the Khalsa panth, it is so called Sikhs that after the Sikhs death they then attach caste on the Sikhs name, this is what we are good at doing, nothing much else like celebrating the castles equality of the Khalsa sikh that gave their life!

1efc41841fac2bd7e0417dabb2b472300f67f0f1

WJKK WJKF

Veer ji, for such an intellectual sikh, why would you bring yourself down to such a level as to respond in such away?

Cheers geezer for sayin it how it is. I was gonna mention the whole obsession that bhatras have with gold, rings, jewellery and the most hideous of all....the pardaah (veil), but i thought leave it.

WJKK WJKF

Once again veer ji, you don't surprise me. Why don't you just have a conversation about the above with your friends? Why don't you and your friends sit and think of what you deem "right and sikhi" within your castes in comparison with gurmat?

I typed up a long post, but then I am like screw it LOL. No I am no intellectual, and I rather not disclose my emotions, because I would end up swearing which would hurt my feelings as well as others who read.

We will just have to order enough tissues

to manage yours and all others

hurt feelings. So just go for it.

Lol

If your dad, uncles and brothers are too lazy to do housework tell them to pull their finger out.

If your brothers, dad and uncles are too dim to be able to make roti tell them to learn.

Was your grandad so incapable of preparing to hold the Guru's diwan that your grandmother had to do it ?

Was there something on the television your grandad couldn't possibly miss that only your grandmother could read the hukamnama ?

Have any of the men in generations of your family ever been capable of doing anything themselves ?

Whatever point you attempted to make 'Sikhiseeker' tells us more about the inherent male misogyny in your family than anything else.

Your pathetic attempt to justify disgusting and totally un-Sikh gender inequality in the name of 'motherhood' is highly offensive to generations of Sikh women. Pre-Sikhi, our female ancestors in Punjab were famous for working as hard as the men. With Sikhi, they were at the forefront in the battlefield. You attempt to justify your misogyny in the name of 'tradition' and 'not being western' yet you fail to realise that the gender equality our Guru's espoused was many hundreds of years ahead of any such equality in the west. When it comes to gender equality the 'western modernists' have learned from us.......not us from them.

I take it you are not a hypocrite and you strongly believe Mai Bhaggo was way too 'modern' and 'western' and an embarrassment to her family being out on horseback fighting when she should have been at home getting her husband's cha, roti and sabji ready ?????

And Mehtab Singh, now that you've started pasting really really long lists of 'Caste' surnames on this Sikh forum are we all to expect long lists of ramgharia, khatri and jatt surnames any time soon....or were you just having a silly moment ?