Muslims Do Kirtan At Gurpurab Celebrations In Nankana Sahib

singhbj singh

From what I recall in pre-partition Punjab, there were a group of Muslims that used to read bani at the Gurdwaras. I only know this because there was a partition era drama that used to be on TV about 20 or so years ago. If anyone knows more about this, please post.

Try reading everything already said on this thread, brother.

Paaji, that's what I am saying apart from way back as token gestures bibiyan performed Kirtan, why is it stopped. Also under sgpc, I think on the odd occasion it has happened, but very rare indeed.

WJKK WJKF

Veer ji, I can't remember where I saw or read this, but I think it was the sikh channel? Someone said that women are permitted to do kitten at Sri harminder sahib, however any katharevousa ha to be well versed and read, being able to sing over a 1000 shabad. Due to the life and role of many women within a life of ghristi, many are able to get to that threshold?

I don't agree with that at all, I think if you can sing shabad and are trained, Kirtan should be permitted with equality of gender.

Mirasis never performed in any of our local Gurudware. They were village kamis who helped out at harvest time or would earn money from being entertainers or common singers. The women folk had a reputation of being loose as they performed mujra and other unmentionable services. Most village Gurudware pre partition had no kirtan unless a visiting jatha was paid by a wealthy local patron for special events. Similarly there was never any regular langar unless it was paid for on some special ocassion. The larger villages and local city had kirtanias at their Gurudware and these were Rababis who were musalman in faith but revered our Gurus and in particular Guru Nanak ji. The Hazuri Ragis were also Rababis. During the partition the local SGPC ordered them to go to Pakistan. Sikh kirtanias replaced them. My grandmother recalls that a Sardar in the pre partition days would have been riduculed if he was engaged in performing musical or singing arts - you either preached, went into a Government profession, the army or farmed. Sikh ragis came onto the scene after 1947 to fill the void.