Sikh Panth, Sikh Prisoners, And Bhai Gurbaksh Singh Khalsa

acsap

Bhukh hadtal was never used as a method in puratan times

Many Sikhs haveundertaken hunger strikes in protest for human rights. Some of these people include Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh, Bhai Darshan Singh Pheruman, Bhai Bhagat Singh, Bhai Sukhdev Singh Sukha and Bhai Harjinder Singh Jinda. The following accountslookinto the lives of these extraordinary beings and their journey’sto raise awareness and rise up against tyranny in such a peaceful yet powerful way.

Bhai Darshan Singh Pheruman

story1.jpgIn 1921, Bhai Darshan Singh led the Morcha (Movement) launched by Sikhs for recovering the keys of the Golden Temple treasury that the British deputy commissioner of Amritsar had seized. He was arrested and imprisoned for one year. In December 1924, Bhai Darshan Singh led the 14th Shaheedi Jatha to Jaito, and was jailed for ten months. He also took part in the non-cooperation movement launched by the Indian National Congress, serving a fourteen month term in jail.

In 1926, Bhai Darshan Singh visited Malaya where he was detained by the British on the basis of his political record in India. While in jail, Bhai Darshan Singh went on a hunger strike in protest against the orders forbidding the wearing of Kacchera (drawers), one of the five symbols of Khalsa discipline.

He continued the fast for 21 days, ending it only when he had won his point. In August 1969, Bhai Darshan Singh resolved to lay down his life to atone for what he termed as ‘resilement’,on the part of some of the Sikh leaders,from the solemn pledges they had taken at Sri Akal Takht and to have their default in not being able to secure the inclusion of Chandigarh and some other areas in the newly-demarcated Punjab redeemed. So determined, he went on a fast unto death inside the central Jail at Amritsar on 15 August. Bhai Darshan Singh stuck to his vow and refused to have any food until his demand for the amalgamation of Punjabi-Speaking areas which had been excluded from the rest of the new Punjab, was conceded.On 27th October 1969,which was his 74th day of fasting, Bhai Darshan Singh passed away. His name is honoured among martyrs of the Sikh faith for the supreme sacrifice he made.

Source: http://www.sikh-history.com/sikhhist/personalities/sewadars/pheruman.html

Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh

story2.jpg

In 1922 Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh was transferred to Nagpur Prison. Whilst incarcerated his basichumanrights were taken away from him and therefore, hestarted a hunger strike. This hunger strike lasted 40 days and even though the jail authorities tried to force feed him, his body rejected the food and he vomited everything up. Below are some of the extracts from Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh’s own writings:

"I requested him to permit us to appeal to the higher authorities, and untilthe reply to our appeal was received,we should be contented with simple food cooked by our own hands. But he refused to listen to anything and immediately issued stern orders. All our prayer books, clothes,including turbans,were forcibly taken away from us. He even took away our shoes. Only underwear (kach) was all that we had on our bodies. The second underwear was also taken away from us. So the fast began…

The next day they again started using force to knock me down. I again said: “Has the British government allowed you to force man to abandon his religious principles? Is it not a tyranny worsethan that of Aurangzeb:” The Superintendent replied, “Is committing suicide a part of religion?” I said, “I have never contemplated suicide. Committing suicide is the greatest sin according to my religion. I went on fast only to maintain my religious vows.

All my protests fell on deaf ears. They manacled my hands and placed a stick in my mouth, pushed a long rubber tube down my throat and into the stomach. They started force feeding me with some milk. I controlled my psychic breath (prana shakti) and first suppressed it in the naval and then let it ascend it to the tenth seat of consciousness, the turiya state, the highest state. But,I had become very weakand could not take psychic breath to the highest consciousness under those tortuous circumstances. But as the prana shakti had gone higher than the naval and my breathing had stopped, they could not pump any milk inside.

Without the breath going in and coming out, not a drop of water can be forced inside the stomach. Whatever milk was pushed in,came out immediately. When they were tired of doing this without any success,they knocked my head against the floor, even before taking out the rubber. I became unconscious and my mouth was closed in a tight grip. The rubber broke into two. The bottle of milk also broke in this scuffle. Some more milk was brought. An iron tube was also procured. As I was unconscious the superintendent ordered that my teeth should be broken and the iron tube forced into my mouth. My teeth were broken, my jaws were torn open."

Source: http://www.globalgurmat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Autobiography-Bhai-Sahib-Randhir-Singh-Ji.pdf

Bhai Balbir Singh Bains

story3.jpg

In July 1999,Bhai Balbir Singh was arrested and charged with a fabricated case. Whilst incarcerated in Tihar Jail Delhi, Bhai Balbir Singh, along withother prisoners, was fed all his mealson the floor next to the open sewage pipes. Human waste as well as general rubbish/waste would pass through this area and prisoners were forced to eat in the same area. Bhai Balbir Singh decided to go on a hunger strike until this matter was resolved.

Seeing Bhai Balbir Singh’s actions, two other Sikhs joined in the hunger strike as well as a Caribbean prisoner,who were all incarcerated in Tihar jail. The word soon spreadto other parts ofTihar jail and about 70 other prisoners joined in the protest and went on hunger strike too.The situation was falsely reported to the higher authorities, statingthat Balbir Singh ‘is trying to bring down the prison system’. Soon,the alarm was sounded in the whole of Tihar Jail and an army of prison police and wardens came in large numbers wielding long bamboo sticks. All those who were on hunger strike were beaten by this brutal army of the jail authority, who are supposedly there to protect the prisoners. Balbir Singh and the other three prisoners were then taken beforethejail superintendent.

As punishment for defiance, Bhai Balbir Singh and the other three prisoners, were thrown into solitary confinement. Solitary confinement is whenyou are locked up for 24 hours a day. You do not know what time it is, what day it is or even whether it is day or night. You are given two meals a day and no visits are allowed by your family members.

The embassy for the Caribbean man got involved and demanded his immediate release, however this gentleman refused and stated that he will not leave until Balbir Singh and other two are also released; showing his solidarity tothecause. For one month,Balbir Singh and the Caribbean gentleman werein solitary confinement while the other two were released a few dayslater.

Whilst in solitary confinement, Bhai Balbir Singh was able to smuggle out a letter to another prisoner, requesting himto bring this matter up with the complaint judge. This Sikh gentleman (who cannot be named for legal reasons as he is still in prison to date ) during his own court hearing, told the Complaints Judge about the situation and that four people have been put in solitary confinement for a month. Upon hearing this, the judge ordered aninquiry and theirimmediate release. They were shifted to a normal ward in the prison and the Judge ordered that the system needs to be changed and put right.

Upon Bhai Balbir Singh’s release from solitary confinement, the judge visited him and asked for an update on the situation. Bhai Balbir Singh told the judge that things have changed and that all the prisoners now eat in a designated area, away from the sewage, thus hailing this small act of defiance on the part of Balbir Singh a victory, not just for himself,but all the other prisoners with him.

http://www.prisonerwelfare.org/

Bhai Gurbaksh Singh Ji's health is in critical condition. The doctots want to hospitalize him but he has refused! WAKE UP!

BY SIKH24 EDITORS / IN INDIA, PUNJAB, WORLD /

DECEMBER 31, 2014

1013464_10152487157397791_22037763769640

AMBALA, Haryana (December 31, 2014)— Sikh Channel has posted the following news: Bhai Gurbaksh Singh Ji Khalsa: Bhai Sahib’s health is deteriorating and urine tests are positive for Ketones. He is now in a critical position. Doctor teams and ambulances are present at Gurdwara Lakhnaur Sahib. More news to come soon.

ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਬਖਸ਼ ਸਿੰਘ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਹਾਲਤ ਵਿਗੜੀ ਹੈ। ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੀਆਂ ਰਿਪੋਰਟਸ ਠੀਕ ਨਹੀਂ ਆਈਆਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੀਆਂ ਕੀਟੋਨ ਪੋਜੀਟਿਵ ਆਈਆਂ ਹਨ ਜਿਸ ਨਾਲ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਫੇਫੜੇ ਅਤੇ ਦਿਮਾਗ ਉੱਤੇ ਅਸਰ ਪੈ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ।

BY SIKH24 EDITORS / IN INDIA, WORLD /

JANUARY 1, 2015
Bhai-Gurbakhash-Singh-31.12.14-610x457.j

This picture shows critical health condition of Bhai Gurbakhash Singh Khalsa

AMBALA, Haryana (January 1, 2015)—The health condition of Bhai Gurbaksh Singh Khalsa, who is sitting on a hunger strike since Nov 14 for permanent release of Sikh political prisoners languishing in various jails of India, has deteriorated very critically as doctors apprehended even a life threat to him.

As per diagnosis reports, a poisonous material has been found in his body which leaves a dangerous effect on his brain and lungs. This material has posed a threat to the life of Bhai Khalsa. Doctors have suggested he be admitted in hospital, which he has rejected.

Bhai Khalsa’s press secretary Bhai Gurpreet Singh Guri told to Sikh24.com that on behalf of administration, Tehsildar also requested Bhai Khalsa to go to hospital for treatment but he did not accept his request. Bhai Khalsa has fallen too weak to walk.

On the 48th day of the strike, BJP MLA Bakhshish Singh Virk visited Gurdwara Lakhnaur Sahib where the strike is being observed, to meet Bhai Khalsa. He said he is concerned gravely about Bhai Khalsa’s deteriorating health condition and soon he would meet Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khatter to get the issue of Sikh political prisoners resolved. It was the first time during the 48 days that any legislator of the ruling party of the state has met Bhai Khalsa for which the latter thanked him.

Bhai Dhian Singh Mand, senior vice president of Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), also arrived there to enquire about the health condition of Bhai Khalsa and again extended their support to him. SAD (A) Iqbal Singh Tiwana also accompanied him. In addition, a march led by Karnail Singh Narike, general secretary of of SAD (A) reached Gurdwara Lakhnaur Sahib in support of Bhai Khalsa which was attended by Muslim-Sikh Front leaders Buland Khan, Mohammad Salim Nabha, Fariad Mohammad, Gurpreet Singh Jagowal, Devinder Singh, Harnam Singh and Gurwinder Singh.

Sikh Carnage Welfare Society president Surjit Singh, Sikh Lehar Welfare Society Sahnewal head Balvir Singh, Dilbag Singh president Sarpanch Union Ludhiana, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Iqbal Singh Panesar, Sukhwinder Singh Gaungarh, Angrez Singh Meharban, Gurcharan Singh Khalsa etc. also met Bhai Khalsa to show solidarity with his struggle.

As per diagnosis reports, a poisonous material has been found in his body which leaves a dangerous effect on his brain and lungs. This material has posed a threat to the life of Bhai Khalsa. Doctors have suggested he be admitted in hospital, which he has rejected.

An increase in ketones is what they are referring to, these are toxic and produced when the body runs of fat and when there is insufficient insulin to help fuel cells.

Hello Everyone.

There is a new topic posted,
http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/76247-quora-being-misused/

Please take time to read through it. It is somewhat important but is not getting any attention.

I am sorry for posting this here. I posted here because this topic was 'HOT',so that people participating here would take a look there too.

Thank You.