Punjabi Language

JRoudh

I did not know that. But I do tend to find the Canadian Punjabi sound different to the UK punjabis slightly. ie Jazzy b and certain other singers from there. ie they speak in a more agressive tone similar to Bhatras. Maybe thats just from a select few Ive heard from there.

To be honest I dont come across many Bhats that come from Sailkot.

So are you saying most UK punjabis are from Jalandhar ie east Punjab hence why they speak in that dilect??

Geezer read my 1st post.

Also jazzy b is frm nawanshaher (doaba), same as me, so i can identify with his dialect. Like i mentioned most sikhs in uk and vancouver r from doaba, which is the "aggresive" accent u r on about. Also as i mentioned in 1 of ur bhatras threads before, that my bhatra mates r all frm sialkot pre partition.

So are you saying most UK punjabis are from Jalandhar ie east Punjab hence why they speak in that dilect??

Not just 'UK' Punjabis but it is also the most common dialect / accent in Canada, California, Italy, New Zealand etc. The only exception to this rule is Malaysia, Singapore, Fiji and the very old Sikh communities of Australia. They are mostly Majha people.

But going back to the UK phenomenon, you also have the East African ramgharias added to the dynamics on a large scale and most of them also originate from villages in doaba and so also have an accent more akin to doaba than anything else.

But I will say Nanakey have a more gentle style, vocabulary and rhythm of speaking comparatively

Yes I know what you mean and that is a very sweet mitti mitti Punjabi but I would wander if that is the way Punjabi is supposed to be. You see, as well as being a truly ancient language (900 years older than Hindi and 1900 years older than Urdu) Punjabi is truly unique in that it is the only tonal language in the whole of south Asia. In that tonal regard, it is one of a rare select group of very few languages including Finnish and some Chinese languages). I would suggest that it is supposed to be spoken in the way that South Koreans speak their language...i.e with loud emotion and pitches which give the outsider the impression that the speaker is arguing. I'm really not a fan of this whole monotone emotionless mitti style thats creeping in with the influence of Hindi and Urdu. Thats not the way Punjabi is supposed to be spoken.

Not just 'UK' Punjabis but it is also the most common dialect / accent in Canada, California, Italy, New Zealand etc. The only exception to this rule is Malaysia, Singapore, Fiji and the very old Sikh communities of Australia. They are mostly Majha people.

But going back to the UK phenomenon, you also have the East African ramgharias added to the dynamics on a large scale and most of them also originate from villages in doaba and so also have an accent more akin to doaba than anything else.

Thats wat ive always wanted to kno tbh, as to how east african sikhs (mostly ramgharias) speak doaba panjabi n how they maintained. Coz most of the east african asians r gujarati hindus, n their gujarati language and food, frm wat i understand got influenced by the kenyan/tanzanian/ugandan surroundings. Yet the sikhs frm east africa retained everything from panjab, apart from their turbans of course.

hmmm Interesting that most Sikhs come from this doaba region. What could be the reason for this?

Bhatras mostly originate from what is now West Punjab and hence speak more similar to people from those areas i guess. I once heard a muslim punjabi girl speak and I was shocked how similar she sounded to me. Saying that Bhatras have a unique dialect in their own right. I can instantly tell when a Bhatra speaks and when a muslim Punjabi speaks.

Bhatra Punjabi is more clear direct and better prounicated then Muslim Punjabi. They also speak faster and more loudly. I think this is due to Bhatras being the earliest settlers in Punjab hence we speak Punjabi in its original form. wheras other Sikh communities came later and spoke their own dialects.

Bhatra Punjabi is more clear direct and better prounicated then Muslim Punjabi.

Punjabi knows no religious or caste boundaries. For example, there are 2 or 3 districts in Pakistan where the majority accent / dialect is the same doaba dialect that I speak (for those Muslims originated from Jalandhar which pre-partition had a Muslim majority). Even here in the UK, so many of my wife's Pakistani friends speak exactly the same way that she does. Partition turned everything upside down. For example, I can talk to a Sikh in Delhi and 9 times out of 10 I'll hear a Punjabi voice which history says belongs in Lahore. Then again I can go deep into Pakistan into Faisalabad and talk to a Muslim there but 9 times out of 10 I'll hear a Punjabi voice that history says belongs in Jalandhar. It is a special language. It knows no caste or creed.

Yes I know what you mean and that is a very sweet mitti mitti Punjabi but I would wander if that is the way Punjabi is supposed to be. You see, as well as being a truly ancient language (900 years older than Hindi and 1900 years older than Urdu) Punjabi is truly unique in that it is the only tonal language in the whole of south Asia. In that tonal regard, it is one of a rare select group of very few languages including Finnish and some Chinese languages). I would suggest that it is supposed to be spoken in the way that South Koreans speak their language...i.e with loud emotion and pitches which give the outsider the impression that the speaker is arguing. I'm really not a fan of this whole monotone emotionless mitti style thats creeping in with the influence of Hindi and Urdu. Thats not the way Punjabi is supposed to be spoken.

My Mum's nanakey is lahut badhi and my Mamey fro that pind speak animatedly like most punjabis but they use language which seems more in common with the style of nihangs i.e. no swearing and mitta in terms of not boastful, loud or brash i.e. more like Guru ji's advises us to speak . Of course My family includes those who talk in 'dus pind avaz' even off the phone my saki Masi is one, she's toned down since coming back from Jalandhar but slips back. I enjoy listening to tet Punjabi it is karrahri

I keep hearing that Punjabi is tonal, but I have my doubts. I can think of maybe two words in Punjabi that is tonal. Please give me some examples of Punjabi words which people think can be tonal.

I keep hearing that Punjabi is tonal, but I have my doubts. I can think of maybe two words in Punjabi that is tonal. Please give me some examples of Punjabi words which people think can be tonal.

You'll have to ask a linguist, my friend, for I am just a curious amateur historian but I'm sure you'll agree that if our rhythm, pitch and length of delivery changes the meaning of a word than it must be a tonal language ?

You'll have to ask a linguist, my friend, for I am just a curious amateur historian but I'm sure you'll agree that if our rhythm, pitch and length of delivery change the meaning of a word than it must be a tonal language ?

Yes, I will ask a linguist:). Rhythm and pitch are just accents, and that is not tonal.