Punjabi Language

JRoudh

Not just the people who live there. Every Punjabi, from all over Punjab, pronounces Amritsar as Ambarsar.

Yea thats how all the oldies in my fam pronounce it too ive noticed. Kuldeep manak does aswel, in his song, 'agg laake fookh du, london shehr nu", about udham singhs badla.

My mum also says amritdhari as 'ambardhari'.

Yea thats how all the oldies in my fam pronounce it too ive noticed. Kuldeep manak does aswel, in his song, 'agg laake fookh du, london shehr nu", about udham singhs badla.

My mum also says amritdhari as 'ambardhari'.

ambar means sky

amrit mean without death

amar mean immortal also so has amrit gone through amar to ambar do you think ?

kind of like how 'El Phanta de Castile ' settled in London during King Henry 8 time and the area ended up through mispronounciation to 'Elephant and Castle'?

ambar means sky

amrit mean without death

amar mean immortal also so has amrit gone through amar to ambar do you think ?

kind of like how 'El Phanta de Castile ' settled in London during King Henry 8 time and the area ended up through mispronounciation to 'Elephant and Castle'?

Na i think its jus pure lazyness n b@stardization of our language tbh. U kno like how we say sabJi instead of sabZi etc.

Didnt know that about elephant castle, cheers. Its like how in ealing u have northolt and southall,which used 2 b called southolt, but changed somehow. Infact now its called sowwwthhaaaall. I heard its got sumink 2 do with those panjabis lol

Not just the people who live there. Every Punjabi, from all over Punjab, pronounces Amritsar as Ambarsar.

Yes, I remember always finding this confusing when I was younger as everyone I know says Ambarsar . But when I see the spelling online It is always spelled Amritsar I use to think this must be another place ... lol. But then some relatives explained it to me.

It think this to do with the Punjabi Pronunciation/spelling of it and Amritsar is the English version or something like that. To all native Ambarsaris it is second nature but to outsiders they usually pronounce it as Amritsar.

We actually sold 2 of our houses in Ambarsar, but we still got one there still and its always special to go back and see our old house thats been there since over 80 years although it has changed alot since modernising it. What makes it special is that the Golden temple is so close by also.

Na i think its jus pure lazyness n b@stardization of our language tbh. U kno like how we say sabJi instead of sabZi etc.

Didnt know that about elephant castle, cheers. Its like how in ealing u have northolt and southall,which used 2 b called southolt, but changed somehow. Infact now its called sowwwthhaaaall. I heard its got sumink 2 do with those panjabis lol

sabji is because we drop the bindi from sabzi just like my Mum saying Jip instead of Zip (evry1 loves that one) Jero instead of Zero ... :biggrin2:

gotta love that Gulabi Punjabi

To all native Ambarsaris it is second nature but to outsiders they usually pronounce it as Amritsar.

No. I already told you above. All native Punjabi speakers...all over the globe prounounce Amritsar as Ambarsar.

Its not lazyness. The fact is that the letter 'Z' does not exist in everyday native Punjabi speech.

amrit mean without death

Well not literaly. You first have to break down the word. In old Sanscrit the word 'mrit' means death. Like in the English language we put the letters 'un' in front of the word to make the opposite Sanskrit has a literary rule that makes the opposite when you place the letter 'a' in front of a word. So, by definition, amrit means non-death. The lesson here is that we are going through life already dead but it is amrit that will give us life.

I say ambardhari too and found it hard to adjust to saying amritdhari. And say Ambarsar. I is coz I was so used to th elders saying it. I wouldn't say it's laziness, as I say sabji too. It's whatever u been brought up to say. I never hears pind people say sabzi. It's city people that say that. Pind punjabi and city punjabi are different.

I say ambardhari too and found it hard to adjust to saying amritdhari. And say Ambarsar. I is coz I was so used to th elders saying it. I wouldn't say it's laziness, as I say sabji too. It's whatever u been brought up to say. I never hears pind people say sabzi. It's city people that say that. Pind punjabi and city punjabi are different.

ik chotti bindi makes a big difference ...you wouldn't want to make that mistake when reading Jaap Sahib or other Dasam bani :biggrin2: