International Center For Sikh Studies

singhbj singh

Bani should be in Gurmukhi, but anything else should be in the language of the area, for example the article refers to DSGPC, and is referring to New Delhi so Hindi is fine why should it have been in Gurmukhi? I mean using that logic we should not post in English on this Sikh forum and everything should be in Gurmukhi!

it is not reasonable to assume all people outside India will be able to read Hindi script , however most can read english and gurmukhi script . OP did not post anything in English , but I am guessing just asking for Gurmukhi script got people very upset so asking for that would have been really really bad

To preserve our language, we have to take some hard steps to push ppl to use only our god given language. Our language is not flourishing in india and there are attempts to kill this language in india. So i would expect all sikhs to support and give utmost priority to our script first.

now I get you sir , According to you , the Sikh faith should be restricted to punjabis (specially jatts only ) others better stay away . But we will not let that happen . I want to spread the message of SGGS in whole world & will do same , you be happy with your hypocracy and the tree in you loft

Where does caste come in this discussion?

Focus on the thread and dont go off tangent.

Where does caste come in this discussion?

Focus on the thread and dont go off tangent.

when he said 'we will not let that happen' I thought whoa something's not right here ... I've met sikhs from all kinds of backgrounds videsi and desi and no one I know has been so ...menancing ...

All understand we have been Told by Guru ji via hukamnameh to learn Gurmukhi and that too from a Gursikh, it is part of our necessary education so Guru's sikhs can be self-reliant in reading Bani . Of course people from diverse backgrounds start off with their home language but those translations can be so low quality e.g. the German one Bhenji was complaining about that ideally you want to hear the True word as it was originally spoken and the arth is pure . But what would I know I am only trying to follow my Guru's Bachan.

when he said 'we will not let that happen' I thought whoa something's not right here ... I've met sikhs from all kinds of backgrounds videsi and desi and no one I know has been so ...menancing ...

All understand we have been Told by Guru ji via hukamnameh to learn Gurmukhi and that too from a Gursikh, it is part of our necessary education so Guru's sikhs can be self-reliant in reading Bani . Of course people from diverse backgrounds start off with their home language but those translations can be so low quality e.g. the German one Bhenji was complaining about that ideally you want to hear the True word as it was originally spoken and the arth is pure . But what would I know I am only trying to follow my Guru's Bachan.

Not wanting to be pulled into your vitriolics , I just want to say Please do not limit gurbani to punjabi speaking ppl only , what is wrong , Are you not interested in spreading the message of the great gurus ? just one poster in hindi is enough to raise so much hullabaluu? what is wrong with you guys ? I just said that I wand to spread the teachings of great Gurus to non punjabi ppl & you are all so agitated ? i still stand by what I said , kirpa karo aur apne shell se bahar aao , Guru nanak dev ji ke sandesh ko punjab se bahar pahunchane me adanga mat dalo . Baaki hum log apne aap kar lenge

Sir , I am from Non Punjabi speaking Indian Family , Do you think I have no right to be sikh, FYI , only one of the 5 PYARE was from punjab and Guru Gobind singh Ji has written least of his poetry in Punjabi . Just enlarge your vision , to spread message of GUru Sahibaan , we are trying to translate in different languages , & what you are talking is just the reverse of it , BRAVO!!!!

It is indeed quite shameful that your family did not have time to teach you to even speak Punjabi. And you are not an isolated case. It is the same story in lots of Sikhs families who are too busy to teach their mother tongue to their children.

Not wanting to be pulled into your vitriolics , I just want to say Please do not limit gurbani to punjabi speaking ppl only , what is wrong , Are you not interested in spreading the message of the great gurus ? just one poster in hindi is enough to raise so much hullabaluu? what is wrong with you guys ? I just said that I wand to spread the teachings of great Gurus to non punjabi ppl & you are all so agitated ? i still stand by what I said , kirpa karo aur apne shell se bahar aao , Guru nanak dev ji ke sandesh ko punjab se bahar pahunchane me adanga mat dalo . Baaki hum log apne aap kar lenge

Congratz! International center for Sikh studies sounds great.It is good that u are trying to spread sikhi in India to non-punjabi ppl. Hopefully sikhi will help counteract the myriad of problems in India: caste, female infanticide, dowry, corruption, etc. And of course Hindi must be used to teach ppl who speak Hindi.Some resources u can use is basics is sikhi YouTube channel but that's in English. Also sikh2inspire another English YouTube channel. Anyone with internet can access this. U shud make ur center available online so it can be viewed internationally too :)

But benti to u, that one shud learn gurmukhi.as u said gurbani is not written in only punjabi and so guru Ji invented gurmukhi to write all these languages not just Punjabi.like u said dasam granth has Arabic/Persian but it is written in gurmukhi.even if u can read gurbani in Hindi, learn gurmukhi and teach it.Our Gurus invented it for a reason and if all Sikhs know it worldwide we can communicate even if we speak different languages. That was what everyone was trying to say.No one was being vitriolic ( I had to look that word up :)