Sant Mahapursh

UsernameTaken

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

Sangat ji,

I've always wanted to know as much as I can about the sant mahapursh In our Sikh faith,

as Sant Baba Nand Singh say that if we can't do sangat of a sant, we should at least read/research about, This is just as fruitful !

however I've never really managed to read through so many books :(

so I was hoping that if you guys could post any information you know about any sant mahapursh and their jeevan/teachings...

it would be beneficial to us all :)

bhul chuk maaf karni

Dhanvaad ji

:waheguru:

I don't know where should I start, but search up the pdf file for life of Sant Harnam Rampur Khera. Its on the internet its a very good read and you will learn a lot from such a mahapurakh's life. May we learn from their teachings and lifestyles to become better Gursikhs ourselves :biggrin2:

I found the pdf file for Sant Harnam Singh: http://rampurkhera.com/files/sekinehiya2006.pdf

More books on him on their website: http://rampurkhera.com/publication

More good books to read and as most of them are on the internet, use this thread to find some good ones: http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/70356-books-to-read/

A very beautiful topic started by our penjee, on which, some tuks of our beloved Guru Sahibans, the highest authorities, are being reproduced for the sangat :

Raag Aasaa: Fifth Patshahee:

tumhree kirpaa tay bha-i-o saaDhsang ayhu kaaj tumh aap kee-o.
By Your Grace, I have joined the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; You Yourself have caused this to happen.

Dhan so kalijug saaDhsang keertan gaa-ee-ai naanak naam aDhaar hee-o.
Blessed, in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, is the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, where the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises are sung.O Nanak, the Naam is my only Support.

Further on Fifth Patshahee tells us the secret for our liberation in Raag Soohee:

janam maran moh dukh saaDhoo sang nasai.
Birth and death, attachment and suffering, are erased in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

jinh ka-o bha-ay Da-i-aal, tinh saaDhoo sang bha-i-aa.
They alone join the Saadh Sangat, unto whom the Lord becomes Merciful.

If still we have any doubts about the importance of Gurmukhs, Mahapurkhs or Sant Janas; Sachay Pathshah Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj, elaborates for us some more lines on this topic in His Bani, in Raag Sorath:

sant parsaad har naam Dhi-aa-i-aa sarab kusal tab thee-aa.
By the Grace of the Saints, I meditate on the Lord's Name, and then, all comforts come to me.

*Why is this so? Why so much imporatnce of Sadh Sangat?

*Because:

santan bin avar na daataa bee-aa.
Without the Saints, there are no other givers

*O.k, thay are dataars, but of what?

*Of Grace, of Daya Meher, and because this their grace, we can do the real bhakti of Satnam; it is by being in their company, we stop manmukhta, and follow Gurmat in the true sense.

*That is why He says:

jo jo saran parai saaDhoo kee so paargaraamee kee-aa. rahaa-o.
Whoever takes to the Sanctuary of the Holy Saints, is carried across.

kot paraaDh miteh jan sayvaa har keertan ras gaa-ee-ai.
Millions of sins are erased by serving the humble Saints, and singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord with love.

*Because they stress only on His Kirtan, His Simran as means of one´s purification and liberation from the wheel of chaurasee ka chakar.

*And thus by singing His wadeeayee, His Simran, due to our Sadh Sangat , the result is as follows:

eehaa sukh aagai mukh oojal jan kaa sang vadbhaagee paa-ee-ai.
One finds peace in this world, and one's face is radiant in the next world, by associating with the humble Saints, through great good fortune

*And on top of all, we achieve of our goal:

agam agochar sad abhinaasee saran santan kee lahee-ai.
The inaccessible, unapproachable and eternally unchanging Lord is obtained in the Sanctuary of the Saints.

nirgun neech anaath apraaDhee ot santan kee aahee.
I am worthless, lowly, without friends or support, and full of sins; I long for the Shelter of the Saints

And for that very reason, Panchvee Patshahee in the end of this Shabad of His, proclaims that, we by ourselves are manmukhs, we are paapee, full of vikars, totally blinded by agyanta, and so we by our own efforts can never reach Him, that is why if board the ship of Naam, of which they are the Captain, we shall reach the shore safely.

Surely there are thousands of fake babeys, pandits, pakhandees out there, but, that does not mean, there are not genuine ones, though one or two in billions maybe ....

But if we pay attention to the Bani as mentioned above, we can never ever recognize some by our own selves, unless it is His Hukum for us.... It is He who puts us in their company, and for this very reason, I am going to rewrite the pricelss words above:

By Your Grace, I have joined the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; You Yourself have caused this to happen.

Christ also says something similar to Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj, in the Bible:

"I have come to collect the marked sheep by my Father"

"Nobody can go to the Father except through me".

"I and the Father are one, he who has seeth me, has seen the Father."

Christ was a Sant Jan, a Gurmukh, like the Bhagats , the Guru Sahibans in the SGGS, though he came around 1300 years ago before First Patshahee, but we can see from His teachings, His words, the path to reach Him, does not change with time, it is eternal for all yugas, past, present or future.

We can see in His words, the same importance of Sadh Sangat, of Wahiguru, as well as the need of it for us as seekeres, as sikhs, as in the words of Fifth Patshahee´s.

Neither Christ was limited to the body, nor was Dhan Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj, because in both of them(as well in all True Gurmukhs), the working Consciouss trascendental power, was of Naam or Shabad.

Sat Sree Akal.

P:S: No True Sant or Gurmukh ever comes to create any new religion, because their purpose is not to confuse us with outer unimportant things which have no value in His eyes, but to show us that aprat from Wahiguru Akal Purukh and His Naam, everything is perishable and naashvant.

So in their teachings , the only mahima to be found, is of Sant Janas, of His Naam and of Wahiguru Himself.

A very beautiful topic started by our penjee, on which, some tuks of our beloved Guru Sahibans, the highest authorities, are being reproduced for the sangat :

Raag Aasaa: Fifth Patshahee:

Dhan so kalijug saaDhsang keertan gaa-ee-ai naanak naam aDhaar hee-o.

Blessed, in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, is the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, where the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises are sung.O Nanak, the Naam is my only Support.

Further on Fifth Patshahee tells us the secret for our liberation in Raag Soohee:

janam maran moh dukh saaDhoo sang nasai.

Birth and death, attachment and suffering, are erased in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

jinh ka-o bha-ay Da-i-aal, tinh saaDhoo sang bha-i-aa.

They alone join the Saadh Sangat, unto whom the Lord becomes Merciful.

If still we have any doubts about the importance of Gurmukhs, Mahapurkhs or Sant Janas; Sachay Pathshah Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj, elaborates for us some more lines on this topic in His Bani, in Raag Sorath:

sant parsaad har naam Dhi-aa-i-aa sarab kusal tab thee-aa.

By the Grace of the Saints, I meditate on the Lord's Name, and then, all comforts come to me.

*Why is this so? Why so much imporatnce of Sadh Sangat?

*Because:

santan bin avar na daataa bee-aa.

Without the Saints, there are no other givers

*O.k, thay are dataars, but of what?

*Of Grace, of Daya Meher, and because this their grace, we can do the real bhakti of Satnam; it is by being in their company, we stop manmukhta, and follow Gurmat in the true sense.

*That is why He says:

jo jo saran parai saaDhoo kee so paargaraamee kee-aa. rahaa-o.

Whoever takes to the Sanctuary of the Holy Saints, is carried across.

kot paraaDh miteh jan sayvaa har keertan ras gaa-ee-ai.

Millions of sins are erased by serving the humble Saints, and singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord with love.

*Because they stress only on His Kirtan, His Simran as means of one´s purification and liberation from the wheel of chaurasee ka chakar.

*And thus by singing His wadeeayee, His Simran, due to our Sadh Sangat , the result is as follows:

eehaa sukh aagai mukh oojal jan kaa sang vadbhaagee paa-ee-ai.

One finds peace in this world, and one's face is radiant in the next world, by associating with the humble Saints, through great good fortune

*And on top of all, we achieve of our goal:

agam agochar sad abhinaasee saran santan kee lahee-ai.

The inaccessible, unapproachable and eternally unchanging Lord is obtained in the Sanctuary of the Saints.

nirgun neech anaath apraaDhee ot santan kee aahee.

I am worthless, lowly, without friends or support, and full of sins; I long for the Shelter of the Saints

And for that very reason, Panchvee Patshahee in the end of this Shabad of His, proclaims that, we by ourselves are manmukhs, we are paapee, full of vikars, totally blinded by agyanta, and so we by our own efforts can never reach Him, that is why if board the ship of Naam, of which they are the Captain, we shall reach the shore safely.

Surely there are thousands of fake babeys, pandits, pakhandees out there, but, that does not mean, they are not genuine ones, though one or two in billions maybe ....

But if we pay attention to the Bani as mentioned above, we can never ever recognize some by our own selves, unless it is His Hukum for us.... It is He who puts us in their company, and for this very reason, I am going to rewrite the pricelss words above:

Christ was a Sant Jan, a Gurmukh, like the Bhagats , the Guru Sahibans in the SGGS, though he came around 1300 years ago before First Patshahee, but we can see from His teachings, His words, the path to reach Him, does not change with time, it is eternal for all yugas, past, present or future.

We can see in His words, the same importance of Sadh Sangat, of Wahiguru, as well as the need of it for us as seekeres, as sikhs, as in the words of Fifth Patshahee´s.

Neither Christ was limited to the body, nor was Dhan Guru Arjun Dev Maharaj, because in both of them(as well in all True Gurmukhs), the working Consciouss trascendental power, was of Naam or Shabad.

Sat Sree Akal.

P:S: No True Sant or Gurmukh ever comes to create any new religion, because their purpose is not to confuse us wit outer unimportant things which have no value in His eyes, but to show us that aprat from Wahiguru Akal Purukh and His Naam, everything is perishable and naashvant.

So in thier teachings , the only mahima to be found, is of Sant Janas, of His Naam and of Wahiguru Himself.

What was the need here to compare Christ with any of our Gurus?

And there is so much illogical stuff in the Bible that no one can vouch for the sayings of Christ and what's written in there.

And there is so much illogical stuff in the Bible that no one can vouch for the sayings of Christ and what's written in there.

Dear Jsinghnz,

not every time there is a need to do or say something...Sometime things just flow in a natural manner without any calculations...

We need to wide our horizons, we can not, neither we should embottle the teachings of the mahapurukhs of any place or time in our limited minds...

It is we manmukhs who judge, they are graceful....their teachings are for the whole of mankind, for whosoever(soul), which wants to return back to the Father.

Times and places may change, but we as souls of any part, (as souls have no nationalities), we have the same needs, to return back to Wahiguru.

Do not blame the teachings of Christ, which basically are the same as our sikhee.

You see, one should not take the teachings of Christ in the Bile literally, as they were not written by Him, but were transmitted mouth to mouth and were complied about 300 years after Christ having passed away. So as usually, we manmukh people, distort the teachings and change them completely. We should read and understand the message underneath those words, that is important.

But if we sit and say why this, why that, then it will lead us nowhere, we should always have a positive approcah and look at others, as they also have the same spark of light of Wahiguru, just as we have it, so in that sense who are we judge?

Only, if something is wrong, we should say it, otherwise it is just racism and discriminationn, just becasue they are of a different dharam or race... We as sikhs have faced such discrimination throughout the history, and if we too do the same, then in which way are we better?

I am not saying to be a doormat, but, not be that closed minded that only me, mine is better, the rest is foolishness...

It is the same with sikhee, just as I perceive it. Our Guru sahibans, told us just a few things to be done, in order to reunite our souls with Akal Purukh, but today, that very pure paviter sikhee is going in a different direction, and the worst thing is, everbody is happy under the influence of maya, and nobody asks sincerely the question, is it all that written in the Bani that we follow implicitly only?

I am no authority to change or judge anybody, but, I feel pity for all our sikh brothers and sisters, as well as for the rest of the mankind, that, the teachings say one thing, while we are doing many things.

So next time before pointing towards anybody, first let us look at ourselves and our surroundings .....

By the way, the topic of this thread is of mahapurukhs, and their way of facing life with humility faith, love and devotion towards Wahiguru or God.

It is for that reason we seek their company, to get inspired by them, and get the fragrance of Naam from them, (the Bani says, Har jee baseh Sadh ke hirdey): and to learn how to truly love Wahiguru, through the right devotion, as simple as that.

And I do not think, that the quotations of Christ mentioned by me above, are diffferent in any way, from the path laid by our Guru Sahibans.

Sat Sree Akal.

Where does Guru Arjun Dev Ji say anything similar to what Christ has supposedly said in Bible. (Or thought by his followers he said that)

Our Guru's bani cannot be compared with any other scripture as there is no authenticity in any of those.

I don't know where should I start, but search up the pdf file for life of Sant Harnam Rampur Khera. Its on the internet its a very good read and you will learn a lot from such a mahapurakh's life. May we learn from their teachings and lifestyles to become better Gursikhs ourselves :biggrin2:

I found the pdf file for Sant Harnam Singh: http://rampurkhera.com/files/sekinehiya2006.pdf

More books on him on their website: http://rampurkhera.com/publication

More good books to read and as most of them are on the internet, use this thread to find some good ones: http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/70356-books-to-read/

thank you for the pdf file :) i just looked through the content and i was like OMG :D :D BUT i'm still currently trying to finish reading through one of Bhai Sahib Bhai veer singh ji's books,,, i've nearly finished the first volume and still need to read the second!

So i waas hoping that if any gursikhs like you have read through these amazing books could share some saakiyan about sant/mahapurshs that you remember... (basically shared reading LOL ) ;-)

I would suggest you that not to follow any person regardless of their past organization history. Only try to keep in sang at of guru sahib ji by spending more and more direct time with SGGS ji.

Very true, i agree with you veer, like the basics of sikhi guy says that if you follow humans your bound to find mistakes and your sharda may break so if you follow waheguru ji he is perfect = no disappointments.

But i enjoy reading/listening/knowing about sant maharpursh because i've always felt that saakhiyan of sant/mahapurshs usually stick in my head and act as a reminder through my life.

:)

True. Although Jesus is a respectful prophet, he did and said many good things. But still Christ cannot be compared to Guru Jee. It is like comparing a small grain of sand to Mount Everest. In the spiritual realms many Devtas, Avtars, Buddhas and prophets(like Jesus) are beggars in the door step of Satguru Nanak Dev Jee. The greatness of Satguru jee cannot be comprehended even though today many Sikhs due to their intellectual limits try to contemplate and limit the greatness of Guru Nanak Dev Jee by sometimes comparing him to Avtars of Dharmic traditions or Prophets of Semitic traditions who in reality were much, much below Guru Jee.