Christmas Trees In Houses Of Sikhs

JSinghnz

Hi,

May I start with refreshing some people's incorrect knowledge of Christmas Trees. Christmas trees are a german tradition which became a CULTURAL trend through prince albert who married queen victoria in the british victorian era.

Such fir trees do not grow in israel where christianity began in the Middle East.

Secondly, santa claus and father christmas again is a CULTURAL folklore in a man giving presents to children around the christmas period.

The RELIGIOUS tradition with christmas is Jesus being born which has nothing to do with the above.

It is amusing to think that people are slandering a period between cultural and religious practices yet no doubt celebrate other cultural practices yet have the mis information of christmas.

Please be aware such posts are public on google search results and give a misinpret of one of the most respected and peaceful religions of the world: sikhism.

Some posts sound very hateful and disrespectful alike material from extreme anti westernised islamic fanatics.

Hi,

My post was not directly aimed at you, it was directed at several which included racial remarks. It did not sound nice in context.

having a Christmas tree is not a 'ritual', there is no day or time scale one has to have it, it only exists in Uk, US, Canada, English speaking western countries.

In other european christian countries like Italy and Spain christmas is on another date!

I see no harm in someone regardless of what their opinions are to spend time with family on a day when most people do not work. I also see no harm in presents, as that has nothing to do with religion. Again, most orthdox christian and european countries do not even give presents this is a english speaking country after the saint and Christmas is another date...

Equally then to sikhis who worship hindu gods, (idoltry), who have statuses pictures etc in their houses, as do celebrating hindu celebrations and celebrating cultural non religious indian pagan celebrations alike Christmas.

There is a great different between culture and religion. I can admire most religions for what theu are and have full respect for them, however I can sometimes not say the same for cultural.

Its not nice to see people on here attacking christmas, this again is not written about yourself but at other people, one individual who said that due to sikhs celebrating christmas their daighters run off with goras.

Thats something you would see on a fanatic website.

Jesus is not a prophet. Christians do not have such a thing only muslims use 'prophet' but I know what you mean...

Jesus is not a prophet. Christians do not have such a thing only muslims use 'prophet' but I know what you mean...

Sikhs do not worship Hindu gods.

The months of december are gloomy times for Sikhs... So even if we DO say that Christmas trees aren't about religion a tree and celebrating is not justified.

Also the sikh youth are losing their own festivels and cultures because they spend to much time on western holidays like Christmas .. This isn't an attack on Christmas.

Hi,

My post was not directly aimed at you, it was directed at several which included racial remarks. It did not sound nice in context.

having a Christmas tree is not a 'ritual', there is no day or time scale one has to have it, it only exists in Uk, US, Canada, English speaking western countries.

In other european christian countries like Italy and Spain christmas is on another date!

I see no harm in someone regardless of what their opinions are to spend time with family on a day when most people do not work. I also see no harm in presents, as that has nothing to do with religion. Again, most orthdox christian and european countries do not even give presents this is a english speaking country after the saint and Christmas is another date...

Equally then to sikhis who worship hindu gods, (idoltry), who have statuses pictures etc in their houses, as do celebrating hindu celebrations and celebrating cultural non religious indian pagan celebrations alike Christmas.

There is a great different between culture and religion. I can admire most religions for what theu are and have full respect for them, however I can sometimes not say the same for cultural.

Its not nice to see people on here attacking christmas, this again is not written about yourself but at other people, one individual who said that due to sikhs celebrating christmas their daighters run off with goras.

WJKK WJKF

I replied to your post as I do not celebrate Christmas in my home, however I do not believe in racism neither do I believe many, many people on this forum are the definition of a sikh, including myself as I make many mistakes everyday, only home to learn from them.

Here in the uk, the Christmas tree is cultural, traditional, and religious marking the festivity of Christmas. Some people will put the tree within their home alongside other decorations on a specific date and then take them down on a specific date. In other European countries, the festivities, traditions and culture may all well be different, however they all mark the celebration of the birth of Christ.

I also see no harm in spending time with family when off work, who would lol? Any holiday is great, it still does not mean you need to celebrate Christmas if you practice a different faith in a European country.

The "Sikhs" who celebrate Hindu/Christian/Muslim...etc festivals indeed should take a look at the code and conduct of a sikh. However, this sort of sikh should be no reflection on sikhi, as the faith is stainless.

Culture can never mix with religion, it is like oil and water. Ones religion and its rule govern the way one should conduct themselves in any situation, yes making mistakes butore importantly learning from them.

I'm not for attacking Christmas, it should be celebrated by whom sot ever wishes to celebrate it, but within the context of sikhi, interfaith marriages cannot be religiously blessed. It is only two Sikhs that can have the Anand Karaj. I can't answer for the comment about the "gora" however anyone can become a sikh.

Jesus Christ is believed to be a prophet within the Koran, The Christian Bible speaks of the "prophets" of God as does the Torah like Elijah, Enoch, Abraham and Moses. Within gurmat, Akal purakh waheguru is the creator of all and is within the creation.

Hi,

LOL you say that you are upset with people being discriminatory on this post for calling christmans trees a ritual (which they are) and in the last line you say Jesus is not a prophet so i could say that you are discrimnating muslims.... Anyways back to the point christmas is not for sikhs and never should be accepted because first of all as everyone knows the origins of this are tied into christianity and pagan cults. secondly which sikhs worship idols? Im pretty sure one of the baisic tenents of sikhi is that we r never to worship anything other than god and idoltary is something shunned in our community so i dont know which "sikhs" you're talking about. The giving of presents at christmas day the tree the carols or wat ever they do is all a ritual sikhs show love and give presents to loved ones everyday we dont need one special day to do this. I know some people who do the whole christmas get up and it makes me laugh most of these people only go to Gurdwara on sundays for langar and on diwali to see fireworks they also drink alcohol and are only sikh in name. anyways do you see christians celebrating Bandi Shor ofcourse not christmas should be just another day to us i only look forward to it being my day off work and school but sometimes i chose to work on christmas cos well we get double pay :biggrin2:

Sikhs do not worship any Gods of any religion, sect, and cult. The definition of a Sikh is very clearly defined in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and other Bani's of the Gurus. Sikhs dedicate their lives to One God that belongs to no religion, sect and cult.

Christmas is the day of Christ birthday and it is celebrated for this reason. Santa Claus was not created for marketing purposes as some wish to believe and spread this propaganda. Santa Claus is Saint Nicholas who was a Christian revered by Christians for different reasons, including his gift giving nature. Obviously the big franchises have given a marketing spin to the current Santa Claus. However the main idea of Santa Claus is still tied into Christmas and the big franchises profit off of it. Santa Claus is also known as the father of Christmas, who would tell others to celebrate Christ's birthday with drinks and food.

The Christmas tree origins are tied into German pagans worshiping Oak trees. As they were converted into Christians they took on the evergreen tree to disguise their real intent from the Christians. They described how the evergreen tree reminded them of the Holy trinity to the Christians in their effort to still worship trees. Many others worshiped trees and when converting to Christianity they brought with them the idea of still worshiping trees. It is also believed the Christmas tree will scare of the devil for the coming New Year.

Sikhs today are allergic to Hindu rituals and have adapted to include Christian and more western religions rituals to their lives. Instead of having brown paper bags on their head they have put on white bags on their head and now consider themselves to be more intelligent and pure.

Sikhs do not worship Hindu gods.

The months of december are gloomy times for Sikhs... So even if we DO say that Christmas trees aren't about religion a tree and celebrating is not justified.

Also the sikh youth are losing their own festivels and cultures because they spend to much time on western holidays like Christmas .. This isn't an attack on Christmas.

I am puzzled veer ji , apne vadde Veer Sahibzahidey sadh jiwadey nahin marde because of their pooran prem and union with Akal Purakh , why should December be gloomy ? sure we should strive to improve our conduct and follow where they laid the path to achieve life's mission, should we not be celebrating their triumph over evil , their unshakeable faith and while being introspective declare to the world our Guru Pita and piare Veer's love was supreme for their beloved Khalsa . It should inspire and fire us up with confidence that they loved that way, I do not feel it is fitting to be sorrowful it almost seems ungrateful, that we aren't taking the torch handed to us and lighting the world around with prema Bhagti and Truth. Everyday of the year , our brothers and sisters died to uphold the panth why not honour that kurbani by doing what they expected and ensuring the panth stays together and strong??