Christmas Trees In Houses Of Sikhs

JSinghnz

Why do you sometimes wear western jeans ? They're something that have nothing to do withour forefathers. If they look nice, why do you take them off ? Why not keep them on all the time ? Just like jeans have no meaning to you, your family or your heritage. Just like the jeans, the trees are harmless but why the hypocricy about which western traditions you wish to partake in and which you don't ? Wallpaper ?Clocks ?Carpet ?Is there no limit to the things you disaprove of because they have no relevance tour heritage or is it something you have personally against harmless trees ? I pity the children of many of the members here. The holiday season is not about you....its not for you. Its for the children to join in and have fun. Thats what being a child is all about. As I said before, apart from some of you here nobody in the developed world associates the holiday season with Jesus and Christianity.I spent my wholelife dismissing intolerant Muslims for refusing to integrate...refusing to let their children be productive members of the society they live in. Never in a million years did I imagine that a new generation of young adult Sikhs would be of the same ilk. Disappointing to say the least.

Why do you sometimes wear western jeans ? They're something that have nothing to do withour forefathers. If they look nice, why do you take them off ? Why not keep them on all the time ? Just like jeans have no meaning to you, your family or your heritage. Just like the jeans, the trees are harmless but why the hypocricy about which western traditions you wish to partake in and which you don't ? Wallpaper ?Clocks ?Carpet ?Is there no limit to the things you disaprove of because they have no relevance tour heritage or is it something you have personally against harmless trees ? I pity the children of many of the members here. The holiday season is not about you....its not for you. Its for the children to join in and have fun. Thats what being a child is all about. As I said before, apart from some of you here nobody in the developed world associates the holiday season with Jesus and Christianity.I spent my wholelife dismissing intolerant Muslims for refusing to integrate...refusing to let their children be productive members of the society they live in. Never in a million years did I imagine that a new generation of young adult Sikhs would be of the same ilk. Disappointing to say the least.

I do wear jeans as they serve a purpose by keeping my legs warm and I don't wear them for fashion nor do I wear them for the sole purpose that they look nice. Carpets keep the house warm. Clocks tell us the time. But whats the purpose in putting a plastic or cut down tree in your living room? Is this your way of intergrating? If you lived in India would you intergrate with Hindu's in India by throwing water up in the sky? Sikhs are just blindly following the ritual of putting up a christmas tree.

There is an extent to which it is appropriate to take part in any celebration. However, that doesn't mean we ourselves take on board those very traditions.

I would like to ask all those who put up Christmas trees etc. How many of them teach their children about the ithihaas of the Sahibzade, as there shaheedian are around that time? How many of them have made the effort to listen to the ithihaasic katha?

I know that Sikh2Inspire have done lareevaar katha of Suraj Prakash Granth for both Saka Sarhind and Chamkaur translated in to English. Very detailed, very moving, very inspiring.

Please make an effort to listen to it this year, no excuses.

in my situation i have had to be very very aware of the subtle undermining of my kids Sikhi and bibek buddhi by my in-laws so i have informed them of what their dadakey believe but also more importantly emphasised OUR beliefs as SIkhs and why we think this way , I keep dialogue non-judgemental for kids, so they feel no pressure to not ask questions if they have any. So far with Waheguru's kirpa they have steady bharosa in SIkhi and can see that it makes more sense and develops their good qualities much more than anything their Dadakey say they follow. SO ...they want to know more about SIkhi as they can see what they don't want to become (empty resams and no true compassion).

They love to hear about their elders ...so this year we will sit together and listen and talk about the wonder that is sikhi.

Most western and punjabi desi celebrate christmas - tree, gifts, food donations, kids fun-santa from western cultural perspective hardly relate the event to christ..sure punjabi who celebrate christmas with great holiday spirit, need to be informed about our sikh heritage- events during that time and they need to be encouraged observe sikh events with same spirit and not getting carried away easily in social aspect in their life ignoring the other main- religious and spiritual.

With that being said, there is no real conflict as such i m not sure why this is turning into about choices- pick one either this or that. Why not have both? Sikhi is about fine equilibrium in all aspects of life- social, religious, spiritual and not having to pick one over the other and vice versa as in this case these events are different aspects of one life- in social structure- one is xmas holiday cultural aspects-tree, gifts, santa, dinner and other one is religious/spiritual aspect of one life. They are not meant to be mixed, conflict, adapt this, reject that, they are simply different aspects of life -social, religious and spiritual.

I don't think celebrating christmas/holiday spirit ie- tree, gifts, food donations to less fortunate kids , kids fun- santa is mutually exclusive with sikh events but surely can be turned against if caution is not paid by individual or understood as different aspects of life.

We are doing something different this year..we won't have christmas tree- never did for past 2 years but will be going to relatives/sister house - xmas dinner for holiday festivities. They going to be have tree, gifts, dinner, funny santa for kids..and i have absolutely have no problem with it or them but i will casually will do remind them on upcoming char sahibzadas shahidi purb and sri guru gobind singh ji gupurb. we are going to celebrate sri guru gobind singh ji gurpurb at the house on dec 28th, will be reflecting on sri guru gobind singh ji gurpurb and char sahibzadas memory on 25 or 26th..I personally don't think its a sad event but rather an equilibrium moment as char sahibzadas were eternal- never took birth nor died but rather transcedented their temporary five element body.

Guest Jacfsing2

What a joke of an answer N30SINGH.

The whole point of this thread to make Sikhs aware that Christmas is not for us but you want it both ways. No wonder why Sikhs are so confused today because they want to please all.

Sikhs aren't stupid, and Jesus wasn't actually born on December 25th,

So Sikhs in western countries celebrating Christmas is only done because of Children? so should Sikh parents who live in overwhelmingly Hindu majority areas of India like UP/Bihar etc, should they start celebrating Janamastmi and Navratri and other Hindu holidays because they dont want their children to be left out? or Sikhs in Islamic countries should start celebrating Eid or even Mawlid because they don't want their kids to be left out of the celebrations of Muslims? No wonder so many of our kids in the west grow up confused and end up marrying non Sikhs.

No I never said that, I referred to it as the discussion highlighted the connection and so therefore I commented on it.

Now be honest how many of you guys celebrate New Year on Jan 1st? Like will many of you see the new year in at Gurdwara Sahib? I think many members here do but I expect to hear no we don't, we don't go to Gurughar on 31st and see in 1st Jan and celebrate the new year as it will confuse my kids to celebrate something which has its origins in another faith. Those that do will marry a non Sikh. Also at this time of year due to all the sacrifices our shaheeds made we shouldn't.

So Sikhs in western countries celebrating Christmas is only done because of Children? so should Sikh parents who live in overwhelmingly Hindu majority areas of India like UP/Bihar etc, should they start celebrating Janamastmi and Navratri and other Hindu holidays because they dont want their children to be left out? or Sikhs in Islamic countries should start celebrating Eid or even Mawlid because they don't want their kids to be left out of the celebrations of Muslims? No wonder so many of our kids in the west grow up confused and end up marrying non Sikhs.

Paaji, you have a habit of reading a post taking it out of context and then putting your own spin on it and start asking random questions.

Please oh please answer this I have asked many times but everyone just ignores my question which is - we celebrate Bandi Chor Divas for 6th patshah good deeds in realising political prisoners from Gwalior. But why did Guru Amar Dass Ji state Sikhs should gather twice a year At Diwali and Vaisakhi, again which we now celebrate due to 10th patshah and 1699. what was the reason then?