My Workplace May Fire Me! Read Why! - Advise Needed.

Babbar_Singhsta

VJKKVJKF

das works a mobile phone contact centre where we take calls for technical support.

A Singh called in asking for the order of his recent battery. I informed him that due to a pervious mistake you can't get a battery replacement for this device as it is over 6monthes ( which is correct for the company policy )

Now the singh started to swear saying words such as SH!T , i advised that i would terminate the call if he kept swearing as i don't appreciate this kind of language especially from a Singh.

This so called "singh" swore at me telling me to "f*** you then" my reply was ok then , good luck getting a new battery. The singh disconnected the call then.

This so called "singh" has called in after i went and logged a complaint with the CEO saying i was being racist towards him. After listening into the call the operation mangers are logging this as a racial slur for saying singh and also as not good customer service. The company ceos want action taken against me including a investigation. The implications are i could lose my job for just stating : i don't appreciate this kind of language especially from a Singh.

If i do get fired on these grounds and the company twists it as some kind of racial abuse , what can i do? Can i appeal this anyhow?

This isn't justice.

Any advice people? I'm based in the UK.

1. he was the aggressor , p.s. the call was recorded I take it .

2. you have the right to end the call if you are being abused

3. You have a reasonable expectation to not have to put up with abuse , check company policy

4. If you had said anything racist it would be recorded , and since you are both in the same ethnic group they wouldn't be able to use racist argument

5. SInghs are not a race but a religious group...so again no racism or religious hatred, you can prove that he was a 'sinngh due to his name (that's how I think you knew)

6. contact HR of your company for advice

I think the call playback will disprove the man's case

I don't think its possible to be racist against ur own race? Tell them u irself r a Singh and so would not use that term in a derogatory way. Also racism is when u say something bad or derogatory about a race so tell them saying I don't take that language esp from a Singh was the exact opposite, like saying I didn't expect that from I honor roll student.

The attack started from the other guy because u were following company policy, tell them.

Did the guy who complained know u were a Sikh too? Maybe not and that's why he complained? So try to find that guy n have him retract his statement. If not possible have ppl talk to ur CEO saying they support u, u did nothing wrong: either have other sikh customers call in saying they don't find wat u said racist ( but this might be annoying or breach if privacy?) So u can have like a granthi or lawyer or someone from a Sikh organization explain that what u said was true, Sikhs aren't supposed to use such language and u were doing ur duty to remind him

Though I would advise that in the future treat all customers alike despite their race religion creed. Don't be over familiar with anyone cuz other ppl might say he prefers ppl from his own race/religion.Or ppl from that( ur) race might say he has no respect for us but treats strangers/ other races with respect n smiles and bends over backwards for them. U never know aajkal better to be safe than sorry.

I'm assuming you work in a call centre environment or something similar, as someone who has friends and family that work in similar environments I'll throw in my pennies worth, couple of things:

-The fact that the caller had Singh in his name is irrelevant, just because someone has Singh as their middle name doesn't mean that they never shout or use bad language

-If this person has made a complaint against you your first port of call should be to HR (or similar) and request a copy of the complaint and a copy of the conversation (if recorded)

-Read your work contract, your employer has a duty of care in respect to abuse in the workplace, this includes customers who are abusive over the phone

-If you feel it's all going to go south, contact a solicitor, in fact, contact a solicitor anyway

-If (let's hope not) you end up loosing your job over this the and Industrial tribunal is your main avenue of re-course but only go down this route if you can prove that your employers unfairly dismissed you, sometimes it can cause more damage if you loose.

As someone whose worked from the ground up in my chosen sector for the past 20 years i've been through the mill a few times but i tend not to fall back on the old "racist" card neither do i assume people are "nice" just because they are from a certain background, instead i educated myself on employment law and what my rights are, i suggest you do the same, in the long run you'll benefit. Good luck with it fella.

You have the right of asking for full disclosure before attending any meeting. That includes transcript of the phone call and any other information regarding this matter. Go through it and respond accordingly. When you go to your meeting do not answer any questions asked straight away. Ask for a break to gather your thoughts and then answer. Make sure you tell your employer you have no previous warnings on your file.

If you stated your name as X Singh when you took the call, he can't say you were racist towards him. I think you can't be racist against your own, can you? Also Singh is his surname on account so how did he come to the conclusion, as Singh is not a race. Punjabi/Sikh is a race but legally Singh is not. But I think you need to involve your Union ASAP.