Depression, Help

Guest Depressed

Here an article which you can read and have a bit of understanding . If you need more help you can contact me on yaqub.masih@gmail.com

A Perfect Hope for All from Gurbani

This article is written with a view to show that the Word of God from the Sikh holy book does contain wonderful truth about life after death.

ਧੁਰ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਆਈ The word of Lord came to me from the celestial world on high, and

ਤਿਨਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਚਿੰਤ ਮਿਟਾਈ all the worries have been taken away.

ਦਇਆਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਮਿਹਰਵਾਨਾ The kind Lord (Hair),

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚੁ ਵਖਾਨਾ has manifested unto me , Nanak , the truth.

What worries us?

All mankind is under the effect of Sin and Death and therefore, are

separated from their God. They can not overcome sin and death by

themselves, and they do not have clear knowledge and understanding

about getting connected to their God. According to the plan of Great

God, the Father of us all, it was necessary for us, His spirit

Children to be separated from our Heavenly parents to come to live on earth.

ਤੁਧੁ ਆਪਿ ਵਿਛੋੜਿਆ ਆਪਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ

You yourself separate the mortals, and You Yourself unite them. ||1||

Here we are separated from God, knowing nothing what went before we

came to this mortal existence, why are we here? What is the purpose of

this life? And where do we go after this life is over? Or is there any

thing after this life at all?

Answers to these puzzling questions can be found in the holy books

which God has provided for us to study and ponder. The words which are

contained in Holy Scriptures are written by holy men of God, who have

seen God and conversed with Him. And these words are given to them as

messages from Him to be imparted to His children. I would urge and

exhort you to study His words and trust in them and believe that God ,

the eternal Father of us all do truly exists, dwells in yonder

heavens, watches over us and wants us to be happy in this life and in

the life to come.

As previously stated that we have no power over sin, death, diseases

and sicknesses and everything which goes along with our life and we

don’t know the way, or in other words, we are lost in this world. But,

because our Heavenly Father loves us, He has provided the way.

He (God) has sent to this earth the perfect Guru or Sat guru, who is able to help us.

Let us read about this Guru in the Gurbani:

ਗੁਰੁ ਸਜਣੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਮੈ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਪੰਥੁ ਦਸਾਹਾ

I have met my Beloved Friend, the Guru, who has shown me the Path to the Lord.

ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਗੁਰ ਜੇਵਡੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ O my soul, there is none as great as the Guru is.

Guru knows the way and He is the Way. There is none like Him.

ਗੁਰੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਡੁਬਦਾ ਲਏ ਤਰਾਇ//

Gur parmesar pārbarahmgurdubḏā la▫e ṯarā▫e. The Guru is the Transcendent Lord, the Supreme Lord God. The Guru lifts up and saves those who are drowning.

DEATH IS INEVITABLE.

What is death? Death is separation of body from the spirit. When our

spirit, which is eternal, leaves the body of clay, the body can not

function. No one likes to die; no one likes to get old. But everyone

has to accept the will of the Almighty God. Don’t worry; God has

arranged everything for us. He has sent messages of hope and mercy

through the holy men. We live in a world that is transitory and

fleeting, and nothing is permanent. Here are given more verses from

the gurbani regarding old age and death. They are parts of this mortal

life. All human beings go through the suffering in this life. Gurbani,

the word of the Guru reveals to us that this suffering is only for a

short period of time i.e. as long as one lives in the mortal body.

Consider the following verses from Gurbani:

ਰਾਮੁ ਗਇਓ ਰਾਵਨੁ ਗਇਓ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਬਹੁ ਪਰਵਾਰੁ

Raam Chand passed away, as did Raawan, even though he had lots of relatives.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰੁ ਕਛੁ ਨਹੀ ਸੁਪਨੇ ਜਿਉ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ੫੦

Says Nanak, nothing lasts forever; the world is like a dream.

ਚਿੰਤਾ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਕੀਜੀਐ ਜੋ ਅਨਹੋਨੀ ਹੋਇ

Why worry for that which is inevitable?

ਇਹੁ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਕੋ ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਇ ੫੧

This is the way of the world, O Nanak; nothing is stable or permanent. ||51||

ਜੋ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਸੋ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਹੈ ਪਰੋ ਆਜੁ ਕੈ ਕਾਲਿ

Whatever has been created shall be destroyed; everyone shall perish, today or tomorrow.

A PERFECT HOPE FOR ALL HUMAN BEINGS.

They tell us through His words, the Gurbani that the sting of death is

taken out, sicknesses and diseases are cured, getting old is stayed

and all righteous desires of man will be fulfilled in due course of

the Lord.

To understand the messages of the Gurbani, one has to understand that

all that is spoken of in and through the gurbani is to be fulfilled in

the future, i.e. when Kalyuga (time or present condition) will be

ended and Satyug will be ushered in. The popular term used for this

transition is called the end of the world.

When one looks around, one sees that people are subject to sickness,

disease, corruption, death and decay, one wonders what Gurubani is

talking about. Exactly, Gurbani is giving us message or good news

(Manglacharan) from heaven. We need to have Faith and Hope. God loves

us. He has given us hope.

The perfect Guru has redeemed us from old age and death. But, for now

you and I are going to get old and one day we will die. Our spirit

leaves the body and goes to a place called Spirit World or Parlok.

Everybody goes there and there is veil between this world and world of

the departed souls. There is a great example of this fact found in

Gita, when Arjna refuses to fight war against his own relatives. Lord

Krishna, through his power, opens the eyes of Arjana and is shown the

glimpse of the people who depart this life and go to the spirit world.

Only then Arjana is convinced to take up the arms and fight the

battle.

ਇਹ ਲੋਕ ਸੁਖੀਏ ਪਰਲੋਕ ਸੁਹੇਲੇ He is at peace in this world, and happy in the next.

When someone dies people mourn and lament the departure of their loved

one in such a way that they show hopelessness and ignorance about the

existence of people hereafter in the next world. It pains me to see

people’s hopelessness and ignorance, yet they go to temples and listen

to the word of the Guru and have no understanding or vision of

hereafter.

Guru has overcome diseases and sickness for all human.

ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਦੂਖ ਤੇ ਰਾਖੈ He saves us from the pains of death and birth

ਪਤਿਤ ਪੁਨੀਤ ਕੀਏ ਖਿਨ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਸਗਲਾ ਰੋਗੁ ਬਿਦਾਰਿਆ He purifies sinners in

an instant, and cures all diseases. ||1||Pause||

ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੀ ਕਾਟਿਆ ਦੁਖੁ ਰੋਗੁ The Perfect Guru has shown mercy

to me, and eradicated my pains and illnesses.

Guru has overcome Death and therefore, has provided us with a

perfected and immortal body. This new body will have no more disease

and death and we will live for ever. Read and ponder the following

verses:

ਨਾਨਕ ਅਗੈ ਊਤਮ ਸੇਈ ਜਿ ਪਾਪਾਂ ਪੰਦਿ ਨ ਦੇਹੀ O Nanak, those who do not

walk in the ways of sin, shall be exalted in the world hereafter.

ਜਰਾ ਮਰਣ ਦੁਖੁ ਫੇਰਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ They shall never again suffer the pains of old age and death.

ਕਹਤ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਾਰਿ ਜੀਵਾਲੇ ਸੋਇ Says Nanak, He alone kills and revives.

ਐਸਾ ਬੂਝਹੁ ਭਰਮਿ ਨ ਭੂਲਹੁ ਕੋਇ Understand this well - do not be confused by doubt.

ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਸਭ ਰਾਸਿ ਤਿਸੈ ਕੀ ਮਾਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਜੀਵਾਲੇ ੧੩This soul and body

all are His. He Himself kills, and brings back to life. ||6||1||13||

ਜਰਾ ਮਰਾ ਤਾਪੁ ਸਭੁ ਨਾਠਾ ਗੁਣ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਨਿਤ ਗਾਵਹੁ The pains of old age and death shall all depart, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe. ||3||

Is not Gurbani wonderful? It is full of nuggets of gold. It is simply beautiful, and beautifully simple.

Our Guru is wonderful.

That is why

He is known as waheguru. Which literally means wonderful guru? I

testify in the sacred name of the waheguru that his message in

Gurugranth Sahib is true.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki Fateh.

Dear Depressed jee,

brother Satnam has beautifully given you the answers, so reading Bani, listening Bani is very good, but to achieve that state of consciousness, is done by hard work, like he said, he does bhajan bangdagee from 1 am onwards, but you may do it, whenever it suits you, but the thing is, to do it constantly and regularly.

Just as we eat food daily, in a similar way, our soul needs the healthy food of Truth, of His Nam Simran, which will in due time, purgate you of the toxins in your mental body. Once the mind is healthy, the body will automaticlally function rightly.

So give up your evil tendenciy of drinking, because that dulls the vison of the mind, making it a tool in the devils hand to torture you.

It will not be easy for you to start, but you have no choice, if you want to come out of the hell, it is you yourself who has to take the right steps, all of us, by His grace, can only give you our moral support, but it is you, who has to put all your sincere efforts.

Wahiguru has already blessed you, with a human body so that you can do the bhajan bandagee and liberate yourself, once and forever.

So appreciate the real value of His blessing you with a human body .... if you do not make the most of it, then the wheel of eighty four- "chaurasee ka chakar", is already there ...who knows, after how many eons, one may get this nar narainee deh, human body again?

The Bani says: Har mandir ehu sareer hae, gyan ratn pargat hoe. This body is His temple, where if done the right jugtee of His bhakti, you will find all spiritual treasures, including the real treasurer, who is none other than Wahiguru, Himself.

Sat Sree Akal.

• 2 weeks later...

Sat sri akal,

I am a Sikh but have been brought up in a western society so I do not speak punjabi well or follow sikhi as much as I could have. I am depply depressed and have severe social anxiety due to certain situations that have occured in my life. I am quite young, in my early 20s and I am struggling to see how I can live the rest of my life out when I am so scared of leaving the house. I hate myself in all facets and hence have no self esteem.

I currently see a psychologist and a psychiatrist which has helped a little bit, but I don't think it can help me that much in order to allow me to live again. I have always believed in waheguru but have not done enough praying or anything of that sort. I can read punjabi/gurbani but I do not understand the words.

I don't know what to do to get myself out of this. Suicide thoughts run through my mind but I don't want to do it and I realise that it is an unnatural death.

Any help would be great, I'd like to become more religious and try and find god. I am just a mess so I don't know what else to say. Would me going to Punjab and living there for a few months be beneficial as I would be surrounded by sikhi all the time?

Fateh veer ji or pen ji

first of all I would like to apologies for my delay in replying,,, suicide is a very sensitive topic and I just didn't want to say anything without thinking I through properly.... suicide thoughts are actually more common than you may think I remember when I was young me and my friend use to talk about suicide, how you could just end everything there, bang, bas everythings gone.

however only thanks to sache paathsha I have realised suicide is the end to nothing, apart from happiness. I remember hearing in the katha once that by committing suicide

1. your automatically into another life cycle

2. your now carryng extra baggage of paap for ending your previous life.

So thinking about it whats really the point? What happens to us today is due to our karam, right? so why make more bad karams by suicide.

Personally in my mind I see suicide as a maze, you get out one door thinking "pheewww i'm gone" but then your trapped in another puzzle. Also a point to think about is we don't know whats going to happen the next second forget about the next day so imagine if we were to die tomorrow but today we committed suicide, what have we done? we've just gone and messed everything up....

so please please PLEASEEE, don't think about suicide the dukh that we have in our karam we have to go through, its like schooling no matter how much we hate it we have to go through it, so why don't we just accept it and allow gods will to flow. Your probably thinking now, 'why is god doing this to me? what can I do to make it all stop?' and the simple answers are, gods doing this because we haven't japp'ed enough naam and only by japp'ing naam this will go away. Its like if you have a black paint brush, no matter what colour is underneath you can use it to hide it.... :)

Also my top tip which I give to everyone (not that i'm worthy of giving tips but still :p lol ) is THINK POSITIVE! Trust me I cant explain or emphasises enough that just by thinking positive you can make a problem which looks as big as a mountain look like a tiny little pebble.

Remember most of our problems/worries don't even exist outside our brains/minds. You say you have low self esteem, think why? why should you have low self esteem when yours just like all of us? Your the creation of the benevolent waheguru ji and so are we, you have the spark of the divine in you so do we, fir kyu?

Remember waheguru ji isn't angry with you he doesn't hate you he loves you and is just waiting for you to pray and call him, think of him as the fire brigade, he has all the equipment to stop the fire and will even risk everything to save you but he can only do that if you call him to the rescue..... call wahgeuru ji like you would call your mother, when we need our mums we don't just sit there and blankly say "mum :/ " we shout out "muuummmm :') " << it would've been much easier if I could sepak this out - hope you understand what im trying to say lol :D

okay han ji I know what your probably thinking - what do you know? you haven't been through what i have ? i'm not you ?

but hey I know someone who knows exactly what you've been through and is a part of you - WAHEGURU JIIIII

ਹਮਰੀ ਬੇਦਨਿ ਤੂ ਜਾਨਤਾ ਸਾਹਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਕਿਆ ਜਾਨੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Hamaree Baedhan Thoo Janatha Saha Avar Kia Janai Koe || Rehao ||

You alone know my inner pain, O King; what can anyone else know? ||Pause||

Waheguru ji has been through whatever you have because he is always within you, talk to him, do simran, make him happy....

I know doing simran sometimes can be very hard , what I do is when im praying for worries I sing a shabad, so what i'll do is find a shabad according to its meaning and my problem so for example imagine if i'm worries about

something about my family I sing this shabad -

ਸਿਮਰਉ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵਉ ॥

Simaro Simar Simar Sukh Paavo ||

Meditate, meditate, meditate in remembrance of Him, and find peace.

ਕਲਿ ਕਲੇਸ ਤਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਮਿਟਾਵਉ ॥

Kal Kalaes Than Maahi Mittaavo ||

Worry and anguish shall be dispelled from your body.

the reason why I do this is that it helps me actually think about what i'm saying and what type of feeling/bhavna to have when talking to waheguru ji, it make it more personal and I feel that waheguru ji is listening to me ....

Your lucky you can read Punjabi, think about all those people who want to read bani but they can't read punjbai and have so many difficulties... also your still young, everyone always says that its much easier to change your life around when your young because to be honest who really knows you, you haven't made your mark on the world yet, you still have the opportunity to change, people see your as a kid, you have that chance to change without all those people bugging you... you can do it :)

waheguru ji kirpa karan... charna da pyar bakshan....

bhul chuk maaf karni, let us know how you go ... take care and remember chuck the sue outside- no thinking about suicide :D

• 4 weeks later...

Fateh veer ji or pen ji

first of all I would like to apologies for my delay in replying,,, suicide is a very sensitive topic and I just didn't want to say anything without thinking I through properly.... suicide thoughts are actually more common than you may think I remember when I was young me and my friend use to talk about suicide, how you could just end everything there, bang, bas everythings gone.

however only thanks to sache paathsha I have realised suicide is the end to nothing, apart from happiness. I remember hearing in the katha once that by committing suicide

So thinking about it whats really the point? What happens to us today is due to our karam, right? so why make more bad karams by suicide.

Personally in my mind I see suicide as a maze, you get out one door thinking "pheewww i'm gone" but then your trapped in another puzzle. Also a point to think about is we don't know whats going to happen the next second forget about the next day so imagine if we were to die tomorrow but today we committed suicide, what have we done? we've just gone and messed everything up....

so please please PLEASEEE, don't think about suicide the dukh that we have in our karam we have to go through, its like schooling no matter how much we hate it we have to go through it, so why don't we just accept it and allow gods will to flow. Your probably thinking now, 'why is god doing this to me? what can I do to make it all stop?' and the simple answers are, gods doing this because we haven't japp'ed enough naam and only by japp'ing naam this will go away. Its like if you have a black paint brush, no matter what colour is underneath you can use it to hide it.... :)

Also my top tip which I give to everyone (not that i'm worthy of giving tips but still :p lol ) is THINK POSITIVE! Trust me I cant explain or emphasises enough that just by thinking positive you can make a problem which looks as big as a mountain look like a tiny little pebble.

Remember most of our problems/worries don't even exist outside our brains/minds. You say you have low self esteem, think why? why should you have low self esteem when yours just like all of us? Your the creation of the benevolent waheguru ji and so are we, you have the spark of the divine in you so do we, fir kyu?

Remember waheguru ji isn't angry with you he doesn't hate you he loves you and is just waiting for you to pray and call him, think of him as the fire brigade, he has all the equipment to stop the fire and will even risk everything to save you but he can only do that if you call him to the rescue..... call wahgeuru ji like you would call your mother, when we need our mums we don't just sit there and blankly say "mum :/ " we shout out "muuummmm :') " << it would've been much easier if I could sepak this out - hope you understand what im trying to say lol :D

okay han ji I know what your probably thinking - what do you know? you haven't been through what i have ? i'm not you ?

but hey I know someone who knows exactly what you've been through and is a part of you - WAHEGURU JIIIII

Waheguru ji has been through whatever you have because he is always within you, talk to him, do simran, make him happy....

I know doing simran sometimes can be very hard , what I do is when im praying for worries I sing a shabad, so what i'll do is find a shabad according to its meaning and my problem so for example imagine if i'm worries about

the reason why I do this is that it helps me actually think about what i'm saying and what type of feeling/bhavna to have when talking to waheguru ji, it make it more personal and I feel that waheguru ji is listening to me ....

Your lucky you can read Punjabi, think about all those people who want to read bani but they can't read punjbai and have so many difficulties... also your still young, everyone always says that its much easier to change your life around when your young because to be honest who really knows you, you haven't made your mark on the world yet, you still have the opportunity to change, people see your as a kid, you have that chance to change without all those people bugging you... you can do it :)

bhul chuk maaf karni, let us know how you go ... take care and remember chuck the sue outside- no thinking about suicide :D

Thank you so much for your reply, and to all the kind users as well. I apologise for the delayed reply.

I have unfortunately reverted to the bad ways of drinking alcohol every 2nd day or so (2-4 beers) instead of reading gurbani and take on the advice the kind people of Sikh Sangat have provided.

I am a fraud.

Hi

Make a vow before God himself(Who is you and u are Him) never to drink again.

When u make a vow before God not to do something, u would hope that your ego isn't big enough that u think u are higher than the vow u make and therefore God to make the same mistake again.

Honour your vow.

Live Clean- dont drink, smoke, and very importantly- excercise and eat healthily.

Honour the temple of God that u have been given in this janam which is your Body temple by not poisoning it with alcohol.

Live Miri and Piri- Be good, never lie, Live a Good spiritual Life, and enjoy life-but be Good. Live Gurbani.

Spirituality isn't difficult- it's all about finding peace in the moment and seeing God/ Truth in everything, and just Being Good because it's the right thing to do. Real bhagats live simple and practice Truth in Sehaj- its living Maya- reacting in Maya that is complicated.

God Bless you

Fateh veer ji or pen ji

What they said^^^^^^ :)

Be happy, don't be depressed, go to the Gurdwarra at least once a week, that really helped me when I had anxiety.

When u are there, realise that Guru Nanak Dev Ji himself sits behind Guru Granth Sahib ji watching us in every single Gurdwarra in the world.

Read Gurbani and apply it to your every day life and you will find peace.

Satnaam.

Don't give up, everyone makes mistakes only Waheguruji is perfect. Important thing is to keep trying and have people around you who support you, the types who won't encourage you to drink. Whatever you feel brings you closer to Waheguruji, keep doing that - simran, going to gurdwara, listening to kirtan, being in nature and be patient with yourself as it takes time to change, it won't happen overnight as we are surrounded by maya.. Let it happen naturally, in my experience, it won't help to force yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Sat sri akal everyone, sorry for the late reply.

I have been more or less in the same point but I have gone to Guduwara a lot more often in the past 2 weeks. I have gone for the past 2 days and I am aiming to go there everyday. I haven't started waking up as yet, but I will try and do it tomorrow by sleeping really early and waking up early and attempting amrit vela. I only know jup ji sahib by heart, so I will probably listen to a youtube recording of the full nitnem on youtube, is this a good idea?