Western Nihang Singh Disrepect Bana And Farla

savinderpalsingh

Veer ji ,

yes I see a Singh playing Tabla but he wasn't wearing a farla on his dastar , that would have been the utmost disrespect to Guru ji , what I do see is he had on a dumalla with chakra. He is not dancing or anything just sitting down a playing tabla beats. I am supposing that is his profession - musician, if so he is doing his job . I didn't know there was a restriction on SInghs on where they can play tabla or other instruments. I personally would never play tanti saaj for aam loki's amusement but only for Guru ji's bani because I know they were created just for that task and my heart just wont let me

Was a true farla dhari? I.e did he earn his farla by the years if sewa and dedication in a nihang dal ? Who issurd him his farla ? He's probably a fake like the many fake farla dharees these days. They just wear them to make a fashion statement.

This is against the maryada of farla, they must be earned their not for any one who feels like wearing one.

Any discussion on this subject is meaningless unless we understand properly the 'farla'.

My guess is that all the early Sikhs proudly had a farla in their dastars as it was the mark of a Sikh, i.e noble warriors who proudly stood up to extremist sunni Muslim ideology.

A little historical context is needed here. Prior to the formation of Islam it was Christians and Jews that wore turbans. Indeed, the turban was essential for Jews as the crowns upon their heads. Islam, however, proclaimed that only Muslims could wear a turban as it was mark of a Muslim. The Pact of Omar subsequently made it illegal for any Jew or Christian to wear a turban. This essential muslim headwear was notable for it's 'tail', as prescribed in the quran. For Sunni Muslims, the dastar must have a tail hanging down. Shia Islam, which was quite influential among the Sikhs given the cultural affinity of people such as Bhai Mardana etc, did not wear a tail in their turbans. Sikhs, deliberately had a farla in their dastars as it was the complete opposite of what the sunni muslims wore and a direct dare to them to do something about it if they can. Instead of the essential tail hanging down the Sikhs had a flag proudly going up. The flag that flies proudly above our heads, so to speak.

Point is, in terms of origins, there is nothing purely spiritual or divine about it. It was always a statement. So, as someone in a previous message described the video as a "fashion statement", he or she is not far from the truth in a historical context.

The farla then, is the mark of a Sikh, in contrast to the muslim tail in the turban.

Any discussion on this subject is meaningless unless we understand properly the 'farla'.

My guess is that all the early Sikhs proudly had a farla in their dastars as it was the mark of a Sikh, i.e noble warriors who proudly stood up to extremist sunni Muslim ideology.

A little historical context is needed here. Prior to the formation of Islam it was Christians and Jews that wore turbans. Indeed, the turban was essential for Jews as the crowns upon their heads. Islam, however, proclaimed that only Muslims could wear a turban as it was mark of a Muslim. The Pact of Omar subsequently made it illegal for any Jew or Christian to wear a turban. This essential muslim headwear was notable for it's 'tail', as prescribed in the quran. For Sunni Muslims, the dastar must have a tail hanging down. Shia Islam, which was quite influential among the Sikhs given the cultural affinity of people such as Bhai Mardana etc, did not wear a tail in their turbans. Sikhs, deliberately had a farla in their dastars as it was the complete opposite of what the sunni muslims wore and a direct dare to them to do something about it if they can. Instead of the essential tail hanging down the Sikhs had a flag proudly going up. The flag that flies proudly above our heads, so to speak.

Point is, in terms of origins, there is nothing purely spiritual or divine about it. It was always a statement. So, as someone in a previous message described the video as a "fashion statement", he or she is not far from the truth in a historical context.

The farla then, is the mark of a Sikh, in contrast to the muslim tail in the turban.

you better watch what you are saying, farla was given by Guru Gobind Singh ji

do you even have any idea who farla dhari are and their jeevan?do you even know how hard is the rehat of farla dhari and how hard it is to obtain a farla!!

search it before you spout something again here

you better watch what you are saying, farla was given by Guru Gobind Singh ji

do you even have any idea who farla dhari are and their jeevan?do you even know how hard is the rehat of farla dhari and how hard it is to obtain a farla!!

search it before you spout something again here

I remember one of my family friends saying that one had to be a battle-hardened nihang(equivalently skilled I guess now) with the pooran Guru ji's bani kant before even being awarded a farla , it was like the nishan sahib of a Gurdwara that had to be honoured and never to be dragged through the dirt or mud figuratively or literally, that the Singh would give his life fighting before that happened .