A Crazy Story From Partition

mrggg123

Tragic story of this woman. But at least now she and her children have been re united. Partition was a huge mistake and disaster in the social fabric of Punjab. Nothing like this has ever happened in the history of Punjab. A million people dead, countless women abducted and raped, so many children turned into orphans. We can't even imagine the amount of suffering this partition caused on both sides of the border.

I agree with the part about the misery that partition caused but the partition was not a bad thing in itself. The only tragedy is that the Sikhs were unable to create their own state and keep their religious shrines in that state. Had the Punjab remained united then where would it have been? Even if the Punjab had become independent it would still have been dominated by Muslims and we all know that no non-Muslim can lead a life of dignity in a Muslim country. We would have been no better than the Christians are in Pakistan now.

I remember chatting to a Muslim who during the conversation mentioned that his family were originally from Ludhiana after I had told him where I was from. He probably expected me to console with him and say how bad it was that his family had to leave their homes and move to Pakistan. He was quite taken aback when I said ' Well, we had to make space for the Sikhs who were being thrown out of West Punjab'

So cute :')

Respect for Bibi ji's son and daughter. They are really honorable Muslims who respect their mother and are happy to have her amongst them.

Them being Muslim has nothing to do with them respecting their mother. She is their mother and any human being regardless of religion or race would love and respect their mother.

WJKK WJKF

The Sikhs who converted may well have in many instances been by force, however the Sikhs which converted as they did not want to lose their financial standing speaks for itself.

Sikhs gave their life's for sikhi, Men, Women and Children during the gurus lifetimes and after. Some Sikhs should have remembered that in 1947. However anyone who converts out of sikhi to any other religion only insures me that the weaker links have been taken out of sikhi.

In reference to the lady within this partition story, I have not come across her being forced to convert. Again if she converted, why convert back to sikhi and start another family? Then go back to meet the Muslim family. If she suffered forced conversion by the pariwar, why go back? Just leave it at a full stop.

• 7 years later...

Here's an interesting story. 

An affluent Sikh Zaildar of Pakistan Panjab had two marriages. His first wife was a Sikh and second wife was a Muslim, children from both marriages had Sikh names (assuming they followed Sikhi). During the partition, the Sikh wife and her Sikh children moved to east Panjab (Hoshiarpur). 

The Muslim wife insisted her children from the marriage stay and become Muslims. The three children from the Muslim wife were converted to Islam and their Sikh names were changed. So now half of their family is in India and half in Pakistan. 

On 6/3/2022 at 9:02 AM, 5aaban said:

An affluent Sikh Zaildar of Pakistan Panjab had two marriages. His first wife was a Sikh and second wife was a Muslim, children from both marriages had Sikh names (assuming they followed Sikhi). During the partition, the Sikh wife and her Sikh children moved to east Panjab (Hoshiarpur). 

Here's an interesting (related) observation from Jacquemont who visited M. Ranjit Singh's kingdom:

Kapurthala is the residence of a Sikh Sardar, Fatteh Singh, who is now erecting outside the city a very large and fine mansion. Seeing a mosque near it, I asked who had built it; Sha Uddin [one of the important Fakir brothers], told me it was the wife of the sardar. This princess is a Muhammadan lady. They have two children, as orthodox Sikh as possible, I was informed. The city is small, but appears prosperous.

8 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Here's an interesting (related) observation from Jacquemont who visited M. Ranjit Singh's kingdom:

Kapurthala is the residence of a Sikh Sardar, Fatteh Singh, who is now erecting outside the city a very large and fine mansion. Seeing a mosque near it, I asked who had built it; Sha Uddin [one of the important Fakir brothers], told me it was the wife of the sardar. This princess is a Muhammadan lady. They have two children, as orthodox Sikh as possible, I was informed. The city is small, but appears prosperous.

Didn’t some Kapurthala king also marry white women? And some say they became Christians. 

I read a Patiala Maharaja did and she had to convert to Sikhi before. 

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

Not heard of this myself. 

I've read about other Kapurthala kings becoming Christians too but that's debated. 

Raja Sir Harnam Singh Ahluwalia , KCIE (15 November 1851 – 20 May 1930) was a member of the Kapurthala royal family in the direct line founded by Jassa Singh Ahluwalia.

A converted Christian, he was the first president of the All India Conference of Indian Christians, which played an important role in the Indian independence movement, advocating for self-rule and opposing the partition of India.

9 hours ago, 5aaban said:

I've read about other Kapurthala kings becoming Christians too but that's debated. 

Raja Sir Harnam Singh Ahluwalia , KCIE (15 November 1851 – 20 May 1930) was a member of the Kapurthala royal family in the direct line founded by Jassa Singh Ahluwalia.

A converted Christian, he was the first president of the All India Conference of Indian Christians, which played an important role in the Indian independence movement, advocating for self-rule and opposing the partition of India.

I find a lot of the colonised period of our ithihaas cringey. It's just full of sell outs and docile sepoys. That's probably why I don't really focus on it other than some (to me) inspiring characters or groups like Sarabha, Sohan Singh Bhakna, Ghadar party, Udham Singh, Bhagat Singh etc. I generally see it as a century of shame. Also, it clearly shows how hordes of rural apnay would sell out for small money if it comes to it.  Serves as a warning to us. 

It was really interesting to note some some zamindaars converted to islam at partition to keep their lands (and throats whole). Never knew that before.