Want To Cut Kesh After 10 Years As An Amritdari/keshdari - Please Advise

Guest anon

Sangat Ji,

I became an amritdari/keshdari 10 years ago, but now want to cut my kesh, and become a sahajdari sikh.

I believe that all the Saheeds of Sikhi, were martyred for freedom, the freedom to be a Sikh, a Hindu or whatever. I don’t think anyone should be blackmailed into being forced to keep kesh, if one chooses to cut kesh – all the guilt tripping is wrong.

The Guru’s & Sikhs fought, died, lived for freedom. If one is motivated to become an amritdari then that person should have the freedom to pursue it. If 10 years later, as I am, wants to leave amrit, then why is it made so fundamentally difficult?

You can be a sahajdari and still jaap naam, do kirat, and donate 10% (which few amritdari’s do, I only did it one year).

And I don’t have to give my reasons for wanting to cut kesh to anyone, thank Waheguru I live in liberal democracy, not a theocratic-police state.

While I don’t wish to give my reasons, I want to solicit arguments for me keeping my kesh. Because in the big scheme of things, is it so wrong, to cut kesh, but still be a god fearing Sikh? When I die, if I don’t go to hell, or 84 lakh cycle, and by some miracle see the Guru’s & Saheeds, I will bow and say “I was weak and unworthy, I did what I could in my life, but I just can’t keep kesh out of fear, guilt, recrimination of fellow Sikhs. I choose to become an amritdari, and 10 years later I cut my kesh, I am a sinner, but whatever I am, I am still a Sikh, be it the most unworthy Sikh.”

Regards,

Anon,

Ps,

I am reasonably educated, intelligent person, and don’t believe cutting my hair will make me outcast, since I may take amrit again in the future. But if people say I am outcast, have commited a cardinal/treacherous sin – I almost feel like saying so be it! Yes I am a wretched manmukh, though all western political philosophy, science is derived by putting the bible and the Abrahamic Gods word aside, and using manmukhi to think of the answers to the fundamental questions of the human condition.

To cut your kesh is a massive thing brother, and I think you will regret it massively our kesh is a natural blessing from our guru, look into our history and you will find the inspiration eg Bhai Taru Singh? I cut my hair all my life as a kid as in Mac 3 job all over, sometimes I have nightmares that I cut my hair and nearly start crying, bro my advice is do ardas and think long and hard to think you can amrat again at a later late is a bad way to think as your blessed with it already.

God bless

Guest Anongram101

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Bhai Taru Singh ji's example, to me, when I think deep inside my atma, was a stand against the tyranny. Was the saheedi for kesh? or the freedom to keep kesh, be a sikh, and not be compelled/forced to be a muslim. Was not the saheedi in many ways for the freedom to live without compulsion? I don't think its right to be guilt tripped into being compelled to keep kesh. What I believe is that we should fight & die for freedom, and as Human Beings be ready to stand against tyranny. Whether I do 10 japji sahibs a day, or somehow do 250 japji sahibs a day, achieve state of sehaj, have my dasam duvaar open etc... I would never be equal to even a toenail of Bhai Taru Singh.

After all the Gurbani we have been blessed with, is modern day Sikhi for which we the Sikhs of today are responsible for, not enlightened enough to give someone a break, and let them have a hair cut? Or are we as the muslims/christians parading around with hundreds of scriptural verses, condemming all non-believers or even not pure enough muslims/christians to agonising eternities of hell fire and torture?

So if I cut my kesh, I have let down the side.... but the panth in its greatness is infinitely bigger than me, and to be honest, I expect Sikhi to have an exit clause to go back down to god fearing, lowly cut kesh sikh............ as opposed to say, as an example, Islam, that once someone becomes a muslim, if they leave the faith, then under the most straight forward interpretation, they should be executed for the transgression. A Man, a Human Being, and yes a Manmukh (who still fears God, believes in Sikhi) should have a greater degree of freedom.

Kind Regards,

Anon - who wants to cut kesh, without having to risk being a total outcast.

I was just thinking about this the other day.

The other day at the gurdwara a member of the sangat told me to take amrit at the next sanchar on the weekend...though I respect him for his kind words, obviously he wishes well for me, i felt rather pressured lol. But long story short, what happens if one takes amrit and then decides the lifestyle is not for them? A year (however long) down the road after taking amrit, one decides that they're not quite ready for it, they want out.

is there an exit clause?

Sangat Ji,

I became an amritdari/keshdari 10 years ago, but now want to cut my kesh, and become a sahajdari sikh.

I believe that all the Saheeds of Sikhi, were martyred for freedom, the freedom to be a Sikh, a Hindu or whatever. I don’t think anyone should be blackmailed into being forced to keep kesh, if one chooses to cut kesh – all the guilt tripping is wrong.

The Guru’s & Sikhs fought, died, lived for freedom. If one is motivated to become an amritdari then that person should have the freedom to pursue it. If 10 years later, as I am, wants to leave amrit, then why is it made so fundamentally difficult?

You can be a sahajdari and still jaap naam, do kirat, and donate 10% (which few amritdari’s do, I only did it one year).

And I don’t have to give my reasons for wanting to cut kesh to anyone, thank Waheguru I live in liberal democracy, not a theocratic-police state.

While I don’t wish to give my reasons, I want to solicit arguments for me keeping my kesh. Because in the big scheme of things, is it so wrong, to cut kesh, but still be a god fearing Sikh? When I die, if I don’t go to hell, or 84 lakh cycle, and by some miracle see the Guru’s & Saheeds, I will bow and say “I was weak and unworthy, I did what I could in my life, but I just can’t keep kesh out of fear, guilt, recrimination of fellow Sikhs. I choose to become an amritdari, and 10 years later I cut my kesh, I am a sinner, but whatever I am, I am still a Sikh, be it the most unworthy Sikh.”

Regards,

Anon,

Ps,

I am reasonably educated, intelligent person, and don’t believe cutting my hair will make me outcast, since I may take amrit again in the future. But if people say I am outcast, have commited a cardinal/treacherous sin – I almost feel like saying so be it! Yes I am a wretched manmukh, though all western political philosophy, science is derived by putting the bible and the Abrahamic Gods word aside, and using manmukhi to think of the answers to the fundamental questions of the human condition.

if you cut kesh you will loose gurus mohar hence you wont be a sikh anymore

sehajdhari means who has kept kesh and will continue to grow it slowly

not the modern version

people who cut kesh dont follow in any catagory of sikhs

you want to be an outcast, why not write a bedawa and give it to guru sahib !!

you will officialy be out

dhare kesh pahul bin bhekhi moorakh sikh mere darshan nahe te, paapi tyaage chit !!

if you cut kesh you will loose gurus mohar hence you wont be a sikh anymore

sehajdhari means who has kept kesh and will continue to grow it slowly

not the modern version

people who cut kesh dont follow in any catagory of sikhs

you want to be an outcast, why not write a bedawa and give it to guru sahib !!

you will officialy be out

dhare kesh pahul bin bhekhi moorakh sikh mere darshan nahe te, paapi tyaage chit !!

Where is this from.?!?